Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. Rodriguez Experience - Juarez

Hi there, I wanted to post a review of my experiences though I know a lot of you have been following me in some other posts I wanted a new topic so that others who are researching could easily find it. Here is my story.

I left my house 5 am (Eastern time) on Thursday and after a very long day of travel and one delayed flight I made it to Star Medica around 2pm (4pm Eastern time) No trouble at all crossing the boarder, in fact we didn't even have to stop the van. Also, I had some worries (okay A LOT of worries) about Juarez but once there I actually felt silly! Everything appeared completely safe and I never gave it another thought. In fact had I not been scheduled for surgery same day, I would have went across the street for dinner and not thought anything of it. Which brings be to my first bit of advice...for me personally, flying in the same day as surgery was just way too much ! I did not get to surgery until 7pm (9pm to my body) and I was EXHAUSTED, GROUCHY, and STARVING to death. Be aware, if you are someone who feels they need to know every little detail and what the plan is at all times, you may have some trouble. Things really kind of just happen when they happen and you're just along for the ride.

Surgery itself went great and I was in recovery by 10pm. Mine took longer because I had a revision from sleeve to MGB. I felt pretty good and slept on and off through the night. They do not hover over you so don't expect that like in the US where they come in every five mins. However, they did come immediately if I called for someone. I stayed one step ahead and asked for a spirometer before they offered and I was up walking as soon as I was able.

I had pretty bad gas pain in my left shoulder and I had a drain (some do some don't) and it was very uncomfortable for me. I walked as much as I could and took gas x strips but it still was very uncomfortable, I won't say I was in pain though, just very uncomfortable. They brought me ice chips that mid morning and around 1pm some broth (delicious) and Jello (yuck) and hot tea and apple juice. It was wonderful to have anything really by that point. Dr. Rod and the other two came in to check on me twice that day, all were very nice but they are busy and they come and go quick so have your questions ready! By 5 that evening I had my drain out and my leak test then more broth. They gave me a sleeping pill to rest well to prepare for travel the next day.

My hubby went with me, he ate in the cafeteria for $5 a meal including drink and we thought that was great! It wasn't the most comfortable sleeping for him but he managed. My only other complaint would be that the shower was cold but others I talked too said they had plenty of hot Water so not sure what was up with that. Also, as you've read I'm sure not all the nurses speak English especially overnight but we managed.

I'm happy with the experience and would have no problem recommending Dr. Rod and his team. I'm happy to answer any specific questions anyone has.

I am leaving this Thursday and having surgery Friday morning. Your posts have been very helpful to me. Thank you for posting it. I wish you a great journey and a fast recovery. I am excited but yet terrified. Lol.

Edited by sleeve32

Thanks! I'm feeling pretty good, weak still and headaches I can't kick but I'm back at work today. You will be fine!! It's a lot of worrying before you get there though, I totally get that but you will feel fine once you are there. Best of luck and keep us posted!

@@Band07 how are you feeling now? Well I hope. I start my new journey tomorrow and I'm super excited! My nerves aren't as bad as I expected. I'm so glad but I'm sure the closer I get the more they will. Lol.

Edited by sleeve32

@@Band07 how are you feeling now? Well I hope. I start my new journey tomorrow and I'm super excited! My nerves aren't as bad as I expected. I'm so glad but I'm sure the closer I get the more they will. Lol.

Today was a hard day for me. Recovery wise I feel great ! I'm just still very weak and working a few hours really takes it out of me. On top of that I still have headaches.

Everything will be fine !! You are ready for this, and you're going to do great ! Keep us posted as you're able ! I'll be thinking of you and wishing you all the best !

Were you satisfied with the hospital experience and feel that they could handle any problems if they arise?

Yes the hospital is very large and very clean. Some of their equipment is a little older than what you may see in the US (xray film) but still does the job quite well ! I didn't have any concerns.

@@Band07 just wanted to check with you and see how you're doing now that's it's been a couple weeks. I am 13 days post op. I'm doing so much better. The first week was rough. I still get tired easier than normal but it's getting better day by day. I get to start soft foods Saturday and I am looking forward to it! I have had all the liquids phase I can take. Lol. My incisions are still a little sore but for the most part I'm about 80% back to normal. I've lost 16 pounds but have been at that for 4 days now. I'm trying not to weigh everyday but it's hard. Lol. Anyways I hope you're doing well in your recovery stage.

Thats so good to hear! I've been wondering how you were doing! So everything went well it sounds like? Unfortunately I've had a hard time. Pneumonia in both lungs and dehydration but today was my last dose of antibiotics which have made me sick so I'm hoping that it's all up hill from here! 16 lbs is great! That's what I've lost too but it's that's been since 4/20 when I started the "pre op" I'm still fighting feeling tired everyday so that takes some time! I'm glad you're home and doing good though! Thanks for the update!

Thanks ! I'm hoping. How was your Mexico experience ?