Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am finishing up my second week post-op. I have no trouble getting my liquids in. I can't stand another Protein shake. I really want a diet coke! I have cheated and tried to eat a few foods. Some didn't bother me at all, and some I may never eat again. However, are other people having bathroom issues? I have not had a normal bowel movement since surgery. Everything is liquid. Some days it is like an explosion in the bathroom. Everything I eat or drink comes back in the form of squirts. Is this normal? Will it get better when I start eating real food? Please help.

cheated and tried to eat a few foods

@@Connie Fusco

Knock It OFF!!! :lol:

two weeks PO

you are sneaking a few bites of food here and there!! :o

you have a brand new teeny weeny tummy

it is in the process of healing

be nice to your tummy, and it will be nice to you ;)

puree/soft foods "might" help your "situation"

mannnny people don't have a bowel movement for a long time :(

once you start solids...

things hopefully will "move" along :lol:

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It" :lol:

good luck bud

kathy

Connie, go to YouTube and watch one of those 20 minute videos on your surgical procedure actually being performed by a surgeon. It will give you a sober, visual reminder of what just happened to your stomach. Your tummy is rebelling because you are disrespecting that it has just been brutalized in the operating room.

Second week post op, IF your surgeon is agressive with your eating schedule, you should be transitioning from purees to soft foods. We keep harping that your surgery is a tool. You can have a rake, but the rake is not going to gather up the leaves by itself. You still have to do the work.

A big part of that work is putting old habits in their place - which is the trash. Many people n e v e r have a carbonated beverage again after bariatric surgery. What if a Twinkie calls you, or a big ol' chocolate cake? That new tummy needs Protein to heal correctly.

Just as you would not (or should not) let a toddler determine the menu for the family, neither should you let those tortured tastebuds determine what you next meal will be. You are way too soon in the process to be venturing away from your bariatric plan. Our surgeons do hundreds of thousands of these surgeries every year, and know what works and what hinders proper healing.

Some people suffer miserable post-op complications through no fault of their own, but I am concerned that you are begging for complications by disregarding the plan your team has given you. Dear bariatric sister, please, please, please, I beg you, to get in charge of your head hunger. It will trip you up so badly, and wreck your surgery.

One thing you will find out about veterans on this forum is that we have been where you are at. It's tough to deny those tastebuds the junk they enjoyed in the past, but where did all that Diet Coke and junk food get us?????? Overweight and miserable. Right now that head hunger is talking real loud, but you need to be tough and overcome. One of the best ways to do that is to have the correct nutritious stuff available so that you can resist the beast more easily.

Your new tummy has to find a new balance. I had loose bowels until I got on regular cooked foods.The worst time was at about two weeks when I tried to eat potato chips. Miss Tummy made me miserable for about four hours. My worst experience was eating cooked cauliflower with cheese, in the soft food stage. Miss Tummy got very hateful about that and punished me so horribly that I may never eat cauliflower again.

When I got into the soft foods, I was eating mashed potatoes and bananas too much. I got Constipation so bad that when it finaly moved along, it was like trying to pass a watermelon through a straw. Your bowels are not going to be perfect for a while. Just hang in there and be diligent about following your plan. I understand the tempatations you are facing. I wish you good luck and good health. Let us know how you do. Come ask any questions you want. We have been there.

It's hard to tell. You bowel issues may be a result of cheating and may just be from being on mostly liquids. Follow your program. It is for your own good and may effect your overall progress.

It sounds normal for the first 2 weeks to have the issues you are having. It will probably turn to Constipation at some point soon. After a while it will be back to normal. Some foods will bother you ,some will not. Just listen to your body. It will let you know when you can not eat something.

I didn't cheat with my liquids & had that also. I figured if only liquid going in, well, it makes sense. It does turn the other way pretty quick!

I am 6 days post op. I have my follow up appt tomorrow, exactly 1 weeks since my surgery. No BM's till yesterday and today....both were Constipation, and I had to push. owie! I have added Miralax to my Water now. I have been following the surgeon's eating plan to the letter, so, the constipation freaked me out a little. All I had were liquids till 2 days ago, and I was allowed 2 tbs yogurt, 2 tbs creamed, strained Soup, and 2 tbs thinned hot Cereal, which I have not tried yet.But I've been getting in more Water than required. I am required to get in 40oz, I've gotten in 47oz. So, WTH is up with the constipation? .................wait................pain meds I bet!

Yes the pains meds and also anesthesia can do that. My doctor put me on colace for the first 30 days as a precaution starting with day 1 in the hospital. Using a stool softener or gentle laxative can help until your body returns to normal.

I also eat a naturally high Fiber diet regularly. I had my first BM on my 3rd day home post op. I'm sure the colace helped jumpstart things but I've been regular since.