Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Real Food, Real Weightloss, Still Delicious

I just found this thread and I am enjoying it. I am almost one year post sleeve surgery and am finding myself slipping...i.e. eating some of that junky food that I should avoid. Your posts have inspired me to literally immediately sit down with a pen and paper to make my grocery list. My list includes ingredients for the bread and chicken tenders. I am sure this is just the beginning of your recipes that I try.

Thanks so much for sharing. I am now following you and look forward t your blog. Keep up the inspirational great work :D

@@Smye sushi was great! Will make it again :)

@@VSGmary, I'm glad to hear you liked it! Thanks for the update.

I am so grateful for this wonderful thread. I honestly can't believe some of the foods my NUT allows on both pre and post op. I've already eliminated caffeine, sweeteners, junk food and start my pre op diet tomorrow, op on 26th.

I love the idea of real food. I love to cook and with my new lifestyle change I want to make a difference, even for my family. This thread is inspiring and the recipes look awesome. Can't wait to try them down the road.????????????????????????????????????????

@@dolphin_girl, thank you for your kind words. Congratulations to you on all you've eliminated already - that's tough work, know that it pays off to eliminate all of that stuff early on. I quit caffeine in November and it made the pre and post-op stuff SO much easier.

Do let me know how your adventures go with food moving forward - I'd love to hear what you learn along the way and how I can improve my own process to better meet whatever needs you may have.

@@gardengirlkl, thanks! Let me know what you think when you get those tenders & Bari-Bread out of the oven. This new life is all about the process, and it sure is a hard one - more we can support one another the better. Those old habits can be so hard to break - it's scary how long we can abstain only to find ourselves sorely tempted all over again when we thought we had them beaten. Let me know if there's anything I, or anyone else on the boards, can do to support you. And keep us posted, we're all in this together!

Here's a pic of the tenders I made last week from your recipe!

2f92a59ea787415223780e53066ef894.jpg

@@berthag, do you have access to your NUT and surgeon? They'll have the best info for you. My biggest curiousity is what are your cals, carbs, prot, and fat intake looking like? How are you healing? And are you being careful to take care of your body (the right mix of exercise and rest given your recoup)? Are you getting enough Water?

The blog is live! It's still a little clunky, but it's up with some photos. It will be undergoing rapid transformation over the next day or two, and then I plan to post a new recipe once each week (Mondays) with periodic 'extra' posts thrown in for good measure. Look for a tour of the Smye Farm this afternoon.

http://barideliciousfood.blogspot.com/

Come, follow, cook, enjoy, comment and let me know what else you want to see. Also, I'd love to get this thing off the ground quickly and to be able to share with as many folks as possible - so please post it on Facebook, twitter, etc.

omelet.html" rel="external nofollow">Bari Omelete Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes

You've all had an omelet before. Or, well, those of you who haven't either been living under a rock or else living with an unfortunate allergy (if that's you, I'm sorry, you've got it rough!) have had an omelet. The thing is, most omelets (especially those you get at a Breakfast place) are loaded down with enormous amounts of fat, even more carbs, and surprisingly little Protein. Not to mention all of the additives and artificial junk that gets in there.

BariOmelet.JPG

A classic staple of continental cuisine, the omelet is actually the perfect vehicle for high quality Protein and excellent taste. I've left greens out of this one - it's about as rich as they come. For those of you want more greens in your brunch, don't worry, I've got a frittata coming that's chock full.

Ingredients:

liquid Egg White - 1/4 cup

Ham - 1 oz

Reduced fat hard cheese (any variety) - 1 oz

Reduced fat cream cheese - .5 oz

Avocado - 1 oz

Raw Yellow Onion - 1/4 cup

Preparation:

First things first - prep your mise en place.

Dice your ham, avocado, and onion. Slice your cream cheese into thin strips and shred your hard cheese. Pop the onion into a skillet and caramelize until thoroughly browned but not burnt.

OmeletMiseenPlace.JPG

Once you've got your fillings prepped, the easy part begins. DO NOT preheat a non-stick pan (I use a well-seasoned cast iron) for this part. Add your egg white to the pan while it's still cold. Place the pan over medium low heat - going slow is key here.

WhiteNotDone.JPG

Once you can't see the pan through the egg anymore, sprinkle the cheddar on one half of the omelet, lay the cream cheese along your intended 'crease, and sprinkle the remaining filling on the empty half of the omelet. Once the omelet is mostly opaque, with only the barest bit of runniness remaining on the top surface, use a spatula to carefully fold the omelet over.

Don't worry if it breaks, this takes practice. Allow the omelet to cook an additional 1-2 minutes, and transfer to your plate. Top as you will (if you will), just be sure to account for the change in nutrition info.

Once you've got this omelet down, vary the filling to your heart's content. I LOVE adding spinach and reducing the amount of cheese a smidge. It's also excellent with salsa and/or bell peppers inside. Oh oh oh, and you'll just about lose it when you try this with a filling made of smoked salmon and capers.

Lastly, like most of my recipes, you'll likely need to spread this omelet out over two meals.

Nutrition:

Calories: 198

Fat: 14 g

Carbs: 6 g

Protein: 15 g

Sodium: 469

Tying the cauliflower crust today! Thanks for putting everything on My Fitness Pal too! What a great idea!

@@Smye

Hey I love that blog name lol. I've added a link to your blog from mine and I'll pass the word around. I have support group this Thursday so will let everyone know about your new blog. Thanks for doing this it's so much appreciated! I tried the Cauliflower pizza but before you guys posted your recipes. I used too much seasoning (or so I thought in the crust) but the next day it was so good and the herbs had mellowed. The longer it was in the fridge the more you couldn't tell it wasn't just a breadier crust and you'd certainly never guess it was cauliflower. Can't wait to check out all your recipes. I know it's a lot of work but you'll be helping so many people out by doing this.

@@jess9395, can't wait to hear what you think of it! And you're welcome - my goal isn't to have a 'popular' blog, just to have these recipes accessible to as many folks as need it, so I'll absolutely keep posting here to make it as easy as possible to find.

@Sunshine_Gal, thanks for putting a link on your blog - now that I know you have one I can't wait to check it out! At some point I would like to hear how you managed to get it to look so nice - I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world and can't get the CSS templates I've found to work. I'm thrilled to hear the cauliflower crust you tried previously improved with age - I will say I've found that the 'squeeze' step helps not only texture but speeds that process along as well. And lastly, thank you for sharing with your support group and for your last sentence - your feedback is invaluable and helps me a great deal.

Cauliflower crust gets two thumbs up from my family! Even my picky eater 12 yo son! I made the 1-1-1 version. Heck it's good enough to eat plain as a snack (which I will do tomorrow for lunch!)

Next up the "bread". Busy day tomorrow but will try it Wednesday