Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Able to Eat Almost Anything

I am only six weeks out and able to eat almost anything. There are a few triggers and I haven't tried all my old favorites, but it scares me that I have so few issues with food. I am constantly worried that I will go back to my old habits and food choices without even realizing it. I am grateful that I do not have constant issues with my new pouch, but I had thought that there would be more stomach restraint, at least for the first six months. Does anyone have suggestions on how to stick with the program when there are too few problems? I really want to succeed long term with this surgery!

I'm in the same boat. I'm just thankful my blood sugar isn't dropping anymore as it did pre-op. I would have never been able to only eat 1,000 calories without this surgery so I guess the only thing to say is, we have to diligent. Track your food, get your Protein and give yourself a break every now and then!

I haven't had problems since I came home from the hospital 4 weeks ago. I haven't pushed limits, in my opinion, but nothing has given me issues yet...burger, chili, salmon, cheese, eggs cooked several ways, even a hotdog. I've stuck to the 1/4 cup of food 2-4 times a day as recommended by my dietician but I'm worried too. I brought it up tonight, mostly because at this point I never feel really hungry but I haven't felt full either. Everybody agreed that I was lucky and that this is the sweet spot, not feeling hungry or having a feeling of fullness. Ok, they are the veterans, I guess I'll believe them.

What type of surgery did you have? I hear with the sleeve your stomach can handle most foods

I had the sleeve on March 23rd and am just transitioning to soft foods. I haven't had any negative reactions to food... But I'm sticking with simple foods mostly. I actually have zero appetite so it's a big effort to eat, and my sense of smell is super acute right now so most things don't even taste good. I'm happy with liquid but know I need to learn to eat solids again.

I too have never had dumping and can literally eat anything I want. At first my bariatric team though I had not pushed the boundaries yet but I can assure you I have and although some things like ice cream make my yummy feel heavy and uncomfortable, I don't get sick.

Here is the thing, your new stomach controls how much you can fit into it. You control what and how often you put something into it. This is why building good eating habits is critical to your success.

Just because I can eat anything I want, does not mean that should. This is simply a tool to help you manage your hunger. You have to get to the point where you truly recognize real hunger and a whole new feeling of full. Full now does not mean stuffed to the point where you are uncomfortable. I used to do that all the time. Full now means satisfied and comfortable.

This is exactly why having this surgery is very hard work. You have to manage your food, Water and activity every single minute of the day. If you do that, the rewards are incredible. Better health, massive weight loss and more energy than you can imagine.

I consider myself very lucky to be able to eat what I want without getting sick.

Good luck to you guys!

i too am able to eat what i want. I had the RNY and I haven't experienced any complications. I had a friend who got sleeved two weeks behind me, and she is having trouble drinking anything. She says it hurts. I feel blessed to be able to eat whatever, but it does take me choosing to change my diet for optimal success. I know people who have had the gastric bypass and eat what ever they want. They lost weight, but probably not to the extent they could have. I want a different life, so I will have to make changes, but I do take it as a blessing. I don't want to experience the pain I see my friend going through. Counting my blessings...

I, too have not experienced dumping. I had had 1 alcoholic drink with tonic. I have had a few bites of coconut cream pie and 2 Oreos in 14 weeks. That alone is a miracle! I wanted it to make so sick and it didn't. After the 3rd bite of the pie, my stomach just made it clear it had had enough. I knew that going any further down that path would lead to nothing good. I think that is the surgery working, providing gentle reminder not to push it. I think that is worth the price I paid for surgery....

I can eat alot for being a little over two weeks out (17 days). I am eating pickled herring in wine sauce - which btw is amazing. eggs, cheese, deli meat, etc but I hve to stop after 4-5 bites. I make myself stop because even though I'm not full I just feel I have to start making a habit of control. I also am tracking food and stuff on my fitness pal and I have had around 350 calories today and walked 1.5 miles. O.o it's really crazy but it's up to me to make the changes and push away the food even though I'm not done.