Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Looking for Support

Hey Everybody!

I am about six weeks out from sleeve surgery and am so excited I can hardly stand it! There is a little nervousness there, too, but I know that this surgery will make my quality of life so much better. As it is, my osteoarthritis is so bad in my knees that I've been told that I need knee replacement surgery. However, I've also been told that I will likely see great improvement in my knees if I get the excess weight off. So I envision a new future. Please share any instance that you might have had with knees or joints improving following your sleeve surgery.

Fortunately, I have a very supportive husband. Lucky me and I know it!

Thanks!

I've never had problems with my joints, but all the mystery pains I used to get pre-op have disappeared. I used to unexpectedly get firey pains in my feet and the sides of my knees, so painful I'd have to use crutches. They just came out of nowhere and would last for weeks. I think it was some kind of nerve pain. After the 1st year post-op and losing 130lbs, they just went away.

I got hurt 3 1/2 years ago in when I was in the Army, Got acute herniated disk in my L5/S1 also messed up my hip and left foot from the way I landed. After the accident I gained 130 lbs which made the pain worse. I am 6 months post op and have lost all the weight I gained after the accident and then some. I feel amazing, off all pain meds and live a very active lifestyle again. There are days that I am sore but nothing like before. The weight loss definitely made it easier on my joints. I also played sports all through my childhood and even played semi-pro football into my early 30's. Those effects of those injuries over the years seemed to lessen as well. Hope the same positive results happen for you too! Good luck!

I don't have knee problems, but I had severe back pain. I am 4 weeks post-op and don't have any back pain anymore. A year ago, I struggled to walk. Today, I am running. You may very well end up still needing knee surgery, but once you lose the weight, the surgery will be more successful.