Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic surgery and pregnancy

I asked a different question about plastic surgery, but wanted to create a different thread about it. For those who have not had children yet, would you get plastic surgery before you had children. I really would like plastic surgery, and really want children. I do not have any children and to have 1 child would be a blessing (really complicated fertility d/t cancer etc). I don't know if I will ever be able to have children (and adoption is not an option d/t spouses age and cancer).

Anyway this was not meant to be a woe is me thread haha.

To get to the point, if you knew you were going to try to have a child in the next 5 years, would you wait to have your plastic surgery. A part of me thinks, love the body you have, and get the surgery feel great now! The other part of me says, why would you spend $15,000, on plastic surgery to lose it all when you have children? Seems like a waste of money.

Are you married/ dating someone and actively trying to have kids? If so, yes it's a waste of money when you could get it all done in a few years after you've had a child. If you are not in a relationship and are not actively trying to have kids, plastic surgery is a bit like renovating the kitchen before you put the house on the market. You will feel more confident in your proverbial house and you will attract a far more optimal buyer than would be the case if you skipped the kitchen reno and hoped your dream buyer was willing to overlook your 80's cabinets.

From a personal perspective, I am 31 and I would like a child, however I am fully aware of the fact that I have 5 years, maybe, to have a child naturally, and while I could easily settle for someone and knock myself up, I'm not a settling girl. Men like hot women...all men like hot women. Plenty of men are willing to happily date a woman that is only decent looking, but honestly, the more attractive you are the greater the volume of men that will be interested in you and thus you give yourself far more options for a future potential baby daddy than you do if you put your proverbial house on the market before you feel sexy in your own skin. Yes it's shallow, but it's how dating works.

I have had a TON of plastic surgery and while I originally told myself it was because I had read a study that plastics patients are less likely to gain weight, if we're being honest, it is because I was a saggy, droopy, former fat lady and I knew that very few men that I would be interested in would ever be proud to stand next to a woman who looked like me. Hence, I went through 8 months and tens of thousands of dollars in plastic surgery. I am now by no means a hot woman and I am ashamed of all of the scars I have, but I have the confidence to not give a crap if a man doesn't like me now because the only person who can see my scars is someone who sees me naked (exclusive of my arm scars) and if I let a dude see me naked, he had better not be complaining about a few scars. Plastics may not be the answer, but for me it gave me at least a little bit of the confidence I need to feel like maybe some day I deserve to be loved by a high quality man who would one day want to have a child with me.

Also, the majority of plastics surgeries for body contouring patients hold up very well with pregnancy. My doctor told me of everything I've had done, only my boobs would need to be redone if I had a child and if I didn't gain a ton of weight during the pregnancy. Further argument for doing it now instead of later!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I see my scars, and there are many, as battle wounds - a battle that saved my life. My husband loves my scars, for he sees them the same way. The only real issue I can potentially see for you is that you make sure any surgery you have now (plastics) won't interfere with childbearing. Or nursing....... Otherwise, go for it!

I will chime in here as a woman who has had two children already before WLS. I have almost zero loose skin on my body post wls EXCEPT in the area of my stomach below my belly button. It is stretched out as a result of two pregnancies. I have Freddy Kruger stretch marks where the skin was stretched beyond repair. There is a reason why plastic surgeons don't recommend tummy tucks to patients who plan to have children. There is a chance you will stretch out the muscles that were tightened and the skin will be stretched. If you have an endless surplus of cash to get surgery now, go for it! Just know there is a pretty good chance you may have to have a revision later. As far as other procedures, you weren't very specific in your post what you were considering. It may be wise to seek the guidance of a plastic surgeon to address your concerns.