Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op no weight loss?

This may be a bit premature but I'm a little concerned and one week post op and have not lost a pound . I've been barely getting in 500 cal a day between getting my Protein and my Water and I don't know why. any help advice suggestions or support is greatly appreciated

Nothing's wrong. it happens sometimes. Just focus on getting in your Protein and Water. The weight loss will happen.

This may be a bit premature but I'm a little concerned and one week post op and have not lost a pound . I've been barely getting in 500 cal a day between getting my Protein and my Water and I don't know why. any help advice suggestions or support is greatly appreciated

Do not worry. You have lost fat as it is scientifically impossible not to at that calorie level. Your body currently has no choice but to take from itself for energy. The post-op weight is due to two things...initially, it is from all of the fluids they give. They overhydrate us after the surgery, knowing that we will be unlikely to get in 64oz daily. Second, there is a lot of swelling and Fluid in the abdomen from the incisions. That takes a while to absorb back into the body to be later excreted. After barely eating at all, I was 8 lbs higher the day I was released from the hospital than the night before surgery.

Your body is burning fat right this moment. You just can't see the changes on the scale because of the fluid. Do not worry!

Also, a good way to actually visualize fat metabolization is to use ketone urine strips. After this surgery, there is no way to avoid making large amounts of ketones as your body metabolizes fat (this is not dangerous or bad for you - ketosis always happens when fat is broken down through any diet. DKA in type 1 diabetics is a totally different story.) urinate on a strip daily and if it changes from pink to purple, then you know your body is breaking down fat. I used to use these constantly when I lost weight on a very low calorie diet. They helped me to know that I was burning fat that day even if the scale didn't magically decrease overnight!

Thanks everyone I did think it might have something to do with still being swollen and full of Fluid however I guess I just need to wait it out and see how the next couple weeks go. I wouldn't mind getting some Keytone strips that might help me feel like somethings actually being accomplished even when I don't see movement on the scale. I have no idea where to get the Keytone strips though? I appreciate all the help and feedback it's good to know that there are so many of you that have been through this and through all the different stages. Here's another question when they say to get 64 ounces of fluid in does that mean 64 ounces of Water plus your Protein Shakes or does that just mean 64 ounces of fluid altogether including juice water shakes etc. i'm on day seven today and the most water I have ever been able to get down in a day so far has been about 16 -20 ounces plus another 16_20 ounces of Protein shakes and maybe 5 0z of Soup or broth ??? So that's like a maximum total of like 45 ounces a day maximum I have no idea how someone could be expected to get 64 ounces of water through them especially when you can only take small steps at a time.. And then if you're supposed to have your protein shakes on top of that that just seems unrealistic and in principle not feasible?

It depends on the nutritionist . Mine says fluids so I count my 20 ounce Protein smoothie and then aim for drinking 5 - 6 glasses of Water throughout the day. The goal is to not get dehydrated & water helps with things like Constipation.< /p>

You can buy ketone strips at any drug store pharmacy. Just ask for them at the counter (urine-ketone test strips)...you are definitely losing, I promise. I had 8 lbs of fluids and swelling post op. 4 days out and I'm just starting to urinate more frequently. The first week is nearly impossible to tell by using the scale!

Edited by Jaimianna79

Thanks everyone I did think it might have something to do with still being swollen and full of Fluid however I guess I just need to wait it out and see how the next couple weeks go. I wouldn't mind getting some Keytone strips that might help me feel like somethings actually being accomplished even when I don't see movement on the scale. I have no idea where to get the Keytone strips though? I appreciate all the help and feedback it's good to know that there are so many of you that have been through this and through all the different stages. Here's another question when they say to get 64 ounces of fluid in does that mean 64 ounces of Water plus your Protein Shakes or does that just mean 64 ounces of fluid altogether including juice water shakes etc. i'm on day seven today and the most water I have ever been able to get down in a day so far has been about 16 -20 ounces plus another 16_20 ounces of Protein shakes and maybe 5 0z of Soup or broth ??? So that's like a maximum total of like 45 ounces a day maximum I have no idea how someone could be expected to get 64 ounces of water through them especially when you can only take small steps at a time.. And then if you're supposed to have your protein shakes on top of that that just seems unrealistic and in principle not feasible?

I'm not getting in anywhere near 64 oz either. I'm lucky if I'm getting in even half of that.

You have to work up to it. I think it took me at least the first 2 weeks to hit that goal and I was always a big Water drinker before surgery. Just aim to do better each day until you hit it.

It is a journey...you are ok. Stay grounded and each day will get you were you want to be. Best of Luck

Don't weigh everyday!!! Weigh once a week at most or every 2 weeks! Measure inches if you need to do something more often. Water weight can fluctuate up to 10lbs (esp after surgery)!and can be discouraging!!

Edited by alindsey