Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So in preparing myself for WLS which wont be until the end of the summer I have been revamping my diet gradually. I started out really, really focusing on my chewing how long I was eating. Before I did this I would have told you I didn't eat fast, OH BOY WAS I WRONG! That's helped a lot with Portion Control as well. I then started weaning myself off of soda, I seriously probably went through 12 diet coke's every couple of days. Now I'm glad to say I have 1-2 a day, and since discovering green tea and adding a little splenda I am confident I will take the soda off the grocery list permanently. I recently started focusing on getting a lot of Protein with little carbs in for at least 2 meals of the day, dinner I am still eating what I make for my family but just eating so, so, so much less and feeling completely satisfied.

So my question is, what are you all doing in preparation for your WLS? I have read where a lot of people were required to lose before surgery,however my surgeon said nothing about this. I am an insurance pay so I am positive they will be looking for some weight loss beforehand, which I want to do anyway I have just always had an extremely hard time losing weight in the past and at a very slow pace (hence wls). Was there a certain amount you needed to lose per month? Are you adding in Protein drinks before surgery? Im thinking of doing this, I leave for work very early and undoubtedly feel grabbing a Protein Drink might be a great option for me.

I am doing similar changes to prepare. My surgery is scheduled for May 4th. I started in March cutting back on Carbs and working on getting more Protein in. This has gone pretty well, although I have slipped a few times and had to start back up again. I really struggle with the emotional eating, particularly at night watching TV. I am setting some goals to work on the emotional eating. My Doc requires that we meat with a Weight Management Counselor and I am looking forward to working with them on strategies to prevent or manage the emotional eating.

I also gave up Soda Pop on April 1st. I was drinking 2 - 3 44oz Coke Zero or Diet Mtn Dew each day. It was very tough to give it up. I actually drank my last Coke Zero on March 31st and then taped the bottle to my garage wall where I can see it when I pull into my garage each day to remind me that it was the last. I still drink a crystal light energy packet in a bottled Water each morning. Giving up caffeine altogether will be my next step. I don't drink coffee, so that's not an issue for me.

I like that you are practicing eating slowly and focusing on chewing your food. I need to start doing this also. When I am hungry, I can down a ton of food...which I know can't happen after the surgery. I am fearing that after the surgery, I will forget and take some big bites, only to cause the pouch to make me vomit. I think you smart starting to practice that now.

Anyway, best of luck! I am curious to why you are waiting until the end of the summer?

Thanks for the reply! I am going through my insurance for the WLS which requires 3 NUT visits, I have 2 more to go according to the coordinator it looks like an end of June surgery, if all goes smoothly.

I have also been an emotional eater, mainly when im tired or feeling blue.. this will also be a major change for me not turning to my beloved mac and cheese for support! But I'm working on it, yesterday my husband bough in donuts and I wasnt even tempted, one step at a time is what i keep telling myself.

You are so right...one step at a time. My Family went to the grocery store the other night to buy donuts for my daughter's class and of course they bought a few extra to eat that night. I was focused and wasn't tempted either. I did walk over to the produce aisle and picked up some mini carrots to eat while they ate their donuts. That also helped.

I am cash pay so I don't have to do the insurance requirements. End of June will come sooner than you think. I met with the Doc the first time in February, but couldn't take time off work until May. The time is going by quickly and it is good for me to prepare and work towards the changes that are coming.

I am also trying to change the way I eat with the idea that I should eat now the way I will have to eat after the surgery. That being simple healthy meals with plenty of Protein. Eat slowly (not doing very well with that) and no drinking during meals (or 30 minutes before or after). It is SO WEIRD to think of eating this way for the rest of my life and the hardest part has been the emotional and psychological adjustments. When I eat simply and regularly I find myself quite altered emotionally. I'm seeing a therapist and that has been a big help in addressing these issues as they come up.

I also track everything I eat in an app on my phone. I stopped doing that for a while and gained some weight back. I guess it just keeps me honest and mindful about what I am actually eating. I'm a tracker now -- probably for good.

Keep posting and keep up the good work.

What should I pack for the hospital? My doctor said I will be in the hospital for 4-5 days. Is that right? Is just preparing me for worst case scenario?