Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First dumping syndrome UGH!

Well, tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op and I had my first dumping syndrome this morning. I had apple cinnamon oatmeal made with 1% milk (for added protein) and it is on my list of acceptable food. Within 10 minutes of eating it I was in the bathroom. Nauseous, stomach pains, heaving type symptoms (but no vomiting). I have been on the couch between running to the bathroom. Is there anything that will help to make this pass quickly?

It has to run it's course.

If that was a sweetened pack of oatmeal it may of had too much sugar in it?

I did check the sugar-12 grams and my NUT said to stay under 15 so I thought it was okay. I will stay away from that going forward for sure.

It is now 2 hours past and I am feeling better. Just had a hot cup of tea and I feel like I can get moving now. Thank goodness the side effects didn't last too long.

I'm glad you're doing better! All of us have different guidelines. Mine says to stay under 10 grams each meal. I love oatmeal and a way that I fix it to add a little Protein is I add PB2 to it with some splenda. Just a suggestion. I love Peanut Butter :-) Am glad that you're on the upswing!!

I don't go above 8 and like to stick closer to 6. Plus if you want to stay on the healthier side stay away from processed crap and use steel cut or something similar and add your own flavoring so to it. For now I also add unflavored Protein Powder.

Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely stick to the old fashioned oats going forward-I need the Fiber to keep me regular. I have not found PB2 yet at any local grocery store so I will have to remember to order it next time I am in Amazon.

Not sure where your located but my Kroger has it in their organic section. I haven't found it at any other grocers by me.

steel cut oats, unsweetened apple sauce. regular cinnamon. Just how I make it for my kids!

Thanks -no krogers near me but I will check the organic isle at the local store.

Maureen-thanks for that idea!

They also sell PB2 in GNC. As well as Smooth Move and Quest products.

I think I had it this morning. I drank one of my premier Protein shakes without diluting it, and I finished the last 1/3 of it much faster than I intended to cuz I was nursing it for over an hour and it was starting to warm. About 3 minutes after the last swallow my heart started to increase and I felt warm, kinda like when I get nervous or anxious. Then I had diarrhea about 3 times. Realized the only way to feel better was to lay down. I slept for about half an hour and felt much better.

I didn't expect it to happen from a Protein shake, especially one with only 1g of sugar. So I'm guessing it was because I drank too fast and my stomach just wasn't ready.

You can get PB2 at costco too.

I am so happy your feeling better.

I will NEVER forget my one and only dumping experience.

It was 3 months in, I was having a problem with even fluids so I was still on soft things. I just wanted to chew something.

So I made a piece of toast. With some spry no calorie butter. One bite is all it took. Really, just one bite.

Between throwing up, feeling like I was having a heart attact, the bathrrom run. I really felt like I was having a heart attack.

So I just curled up on the couch and just cried. It really hurt that bad. It lasted about 4 or 5 hours. I even caught my self swearing that if the pain would just stop I would never eat bred again.

It took me about 7 or 8 months before I tried toast again.

They told me once I had the dumping once I would be extra careful. ANd yeah I am.

Good Luck :)