Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OUT OF CONTROL! HELP

My name is Rachel, I have an unhealthy relationship with food and I am out of control!!!I had my surgery in late November 2013; I am 18 months post op. I know I am making my own decisions and I know that I am the only one that can change, but I feel helpless right now!! I took a job in Houston and I and although my normal commute will be 45 min one way, I have been having to commute to another clinic while ours is being built. I have been commuting almost two hours one way since October. Next week I will start at my clinic and the commute will be better. My husband started a new job also and it is stressing him. We have a 10 year old and a 13 year old. With some major life stressors and I have completely fallen into my old bad habits. I am finding myself sneaking bad foods again. I find myself stopping at convenient stores to buy ice cream etc. It’s like I have no control!!! I get stressed and eat and for some reason it soothes me. I eat whatever it is seems like as fast as I can, afterwards, I feel like a failure and promise myself I will not do it again. I have gained 15 pounds and have never made it to goal weight. I started at 299 and I am sitting at 225 today. Another dirty secret, I have never exercised. I just haven’t found the time. I am in graduate school, work full time, married, and have two kids.

OK guys, I have laid it all out there, which is very hard for me, but I desperately need some help! I need some new coping mechanisms, ideas for exercise to ease into, ideas to gain control again!!!

I have found that "easiest" way to make sure I will exercise consistently is to get up at 4:15 am and go walk and/or run. I have to be out of my house by 6 to get to work. On weekends I go first thing when I wake up to keep the habit consistent. It was kind of tough at first, but now it's just the way it is. It was too easy to find excuses after work between cooking/shopping, work, and everything else, so this works way better. I also have a 45 minute commute, and it does suck to spend that much time in the car each day, I can't even imagine a 2 hour commute.

@@rdy4chng

The only person that has to be happy with your results is you.

We all have stressful lives. Its all a choice of what you want out of this and if you are willing and ready to put the hard work in. Making changes of how you handle stress is a good place to start. Instead of stress/emotional eating choose an activity to replace that behavior. You mentioned you have never worked out. Maybe its time to try it. Its an excellent way to release stress. Walking and advancing to what ever activity works for you.

Wishing you the best,

Jenn

This may sound corny, but why don't you try to listen to motivational/self-help audio recordings on your long commutes. Also, try packing some Protein bars, cheese, organic granola, beef Jerky bites, etc. for your trips back and forth to work. And NO MORE SNEAKING!

What about weekends? Or days off? Can you find time to get some activity/exercise in on those days? I think that would be a perfect way to ease into it. After all, 2 days are better then none! Do you get a lunch break at work? How about taking a quick 15 minute walk on your lunch breaks?

Time to get back to basics. Cut out all the sugar, carbs, and processed food and get back to Protein and green veggies with every meal. Get 64oz of Water in. If you can stick it out for a week, your cravings for the junk should subside. Instead of stopping to get ice cream, grab some Jerky at the store instead. If need be, get back on Protein shakes for a few days just to detox all the junk in your system.

I guarantee if you try to find ways to move more and get back to basics like when you first had surgery, you will see results on the scale. And you will feel so much better and in control again!

I agree with the previous responses, it's time to get back to basics. Do a week of shakes and 1 no carb meal each day to get all the crap out of your system. Set several small goals and reward yourself when you achieve them. Make activity a family affair, the weather is getting better, go explore a local park or state recreation area with the kids on the weekend. Keep a cooler with high Protein Snacks in your car. They make coolers that plug into your car.

#1 YOU have to decide you have had enough which I believe is why you posted. Forgive yourself and move forward!

Tomorrow is a new day, use the tools you have!

Youre the only one who can stop this. Forgive yourself, get back to basics, track every bite you put in your mouth. Drink your Water. The act of doing this isn't hard, it's what's in your head that makes it that way.

Well the first step is admitting that you have a problem and need some help. I have a few suggestions.

- Exercise first thing in the morning. I know it seems crazy to get up any earlier than you already are, but it will give you energy. Also it will probably help you make better food choices because you will be able to look at the calories and decide if the extra time working out is worth what you want to eat.

- Pack a snack for your commute. I know when I get out of work I am really thirsty so I want something cold and went. Ice cream was always a favorite. Freeze a banana and puree it or freeze greek yogurt. Also freeze a Water bottle so it will still be cold at the end of the day. If you have these things with you, it will be easier to drive by the 7-11.

- it seems like a lot of your trouble comes from your commute. Write a list of the reasons you had surgery and of your accomplishments. Tape that to your dashboard or steering wheel. Put it inside your wallet on a post it attached to your bank card. Put it wherever it will remind you that food is not the answer. You had surgery so you could grow old with your husband and spend time with your children. Don't let food stop you from doing that.

- I know your time is limited, but maybe you should talk to a counselor who specializes in food related issues. It will probably help to talk it out with an expert. We can all give you the tips that help us, but you may have better success with a trained professional.

Good luck. Keep in touch with your NUT and Surgeon too. That will help to keep you accountable.

@rdy4chng Good for you taking the initiative to share what you are going through. Let that post be the start of YOU taking back control. I have seen some wonderful tips on this thread. I would also recommend at least a few days of liquid Protein and lots of Water just to clear out the system. Packing Snacks another great idea. Also, if you have hands free telephone the commute can be a time to catch up with family. I talk to my sister in Wisconsin (I'm in PA) on my one hour commute in the afternoon. It makes the trip fly by and can be almost enjoyable.

Good Luck and keep at it!

Look, you're panicking. STOP! Everything will be better when your commute gets shorter. You need to slow down and focus. If you are often anxious, talk to your doctor (gp). Carve out 2 hours of time for yourself at least every other day. Take the kids out for a walk. Make sure you have the sugar free ice pops on hand, and if you're gonna binge, binge on them. Just take it EASY, breathe deeply 5 times when the stress begins to choke you. Everything is gonna be ok.

As you have said only you can change this. I remember a point in my life when I fantasized about driving my car off the road into a deep ditch. Every day on my way to work I had this fantasy...not that I wanted to die but I dreamed of resting, being cared for and attended to and spending a few weeks or.months in a hospital bed seemed like the only way to get that. I shocked myself with that realization and knew I had to make some major life changes. That was a long time ago and since then I have come to realize that when I abuse myself either with food or destructive thoughts it is a sign that SOMETHING has to change.

Oh I fixed my career and divorced my ex husband instead of running my car into a ditch. :)

Thanks for all the advice!! Yesterday I took back control!! NO JUNK!!! I kept Water with me all day and sipped it, I munched ice instead of carbs!! I measured my meals! I bought Zumba for me and my little girl to do together ; ) oh and I got an audio book!!! I drove right by the convenient store and did not stop!! BABY STEPS!!

@@rdy4chng Great work!