Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op...too soon to start soft foods? I'm already tired of the liquids.

Hi @, I am 6 days out from surgery. As far as I know, eating this soon could disrupt the staple lines of our new stomachs from the material my surgeon has provided me and would cause emergency surgery. I don't necessarily feel tired of the liquids, but I never feel full. Do you feel full at all? Are you getting any hunger pains? Sorry to Detour from your original question, just wondering if anyone else is having hunger pains so soon and not feeling full.

I'm 18 days out and my advice is don't go against your Dr's plan. I started purred food yesterday and pushed the envelope a little and had a soft food and threw up right away.....not plesent at all.

Edited by skc72

When I started getting hunger pains I tried drinking more Water and that made them go away. I am almost 5 weeks out and I don't really get hungry-but I make myself eat to get the Protein in. As for feeling full-I have not really felt full because I am watching my portions very closely based on what my NUT instructed. I have only hit my 60grams of Protein once without using a Protein Drink. If I am close I don't do a drink but if I am far off then I do.

Good luck and hang in there-before you know it the liquid phase will be over.

I am 4 days post op and actually came here for the same reasons, lol. I am feeling very hungry right now. I know it is too soon to eat anything ,and I actually got 60 gm of Protein in today (eating and drinking is a full time job, amirite?!?) but as sad as this sounds, I just knew I could not be the only one feeling icky right now. I might go get another 4 ounces of Fage yogurt 0% mixed with SF raspberry Syrup to take the edge off. At least it will keep me occupied for the next 30 minutes! I am so glad you posted, @hello2brenda. It really is comforting to know there are others feeling the same things I am right now. Thank you to the others that posted here, too, and good luck to all on this new journey! :)

Talk to your nutritionist or surgeon. Everyone heals differently. I was able to eat pudding-like consistency about 3 days after surgery in small amounts. Some of the WonderSlim products can be a shake or pudding. If you let the "shake" sit for a few minutes, it becomes a pudding. That might be a good place to start. Whatever you do, don't push it. It's frustrating for a few weeks, but it will be worth it in the long run.

The other thing I would call out is the feelings of hunger at this point. Stop and ask yourself the question am I really hungry? In the first few weeks/months your head plays tricks on you.

Many time what your truly feeling is a symptom of dehydration. When you feel hungry sip sip sip on liquids. It will make you feel better and give you more energy if you are dehydrated.

I suspect that you may have a combination of head hunger and dehydration. You need to try to understand the difference so you don't eat everytime you have that feeling. Sip on Water or some type of liquid with Protein in it. It will make you feel better and give your tummy more time to heal properly.

Guys, I have no hunger at all at this point, but my body does feel weak. That's why I wanted to add something else. I've decided to stick to the liquid diet until I see my Nut & surgeon on the 22nd.

Edited by hello2brenda

I'm 5 days post op and I'm still feeling a lot of discomfort.

When will this end?

I'm frustrated because I thought I'd be able to do more by now. I'm also struggling to get the necessary amount of fluids in. I'm not hungry or have hunger pains but the pain in my abdomen is awful,

Please help!

When will this end?

I'm frustrated because I thought I'd be able to do more by now. I'm also struggling to get the necessary amount of fluids in. I'm not hungry or have hunger pains but the pain in my abdomen is awful,

Please help!

Are you able to move around. I had really bad gas pains the first few days and it helped me to get them out by moving around.

When will this end?

Please help!

Are you able to move around. I had really bad gas pains the first few days and it helped me to get them out by moving around.

Yes, I'm moving around. Maybe not enough.

Are you able to lay down flat?

When will this end?

Please help!

Yes, I'm moving around. Maybe not enough.

Are you able to lay down flat?

Yes, flat on my back and a little on my side.

I am 5 days post op and on day 3 they started me on soft foods while still in the hospital. They tried me on scrambled eggs, and I had to place a portion of the eggs in a 1oz cup. I couldn't even finish the cup before getting full. But I didn't feel any pain or nausea and they are okay with me and soft high Protein foods for my first month. My advice to you is to stick with your dr diet for you and when you do begin soft foods, the secret is to chew chew chew and take your time and break before bites. That's what's been working for me.

So, I've been torturing myself for the last 3 days. When I left the hospital I thought I was on ALL liquids. Yesterday I started feeling very weak & my blood sugar was really low. Called my surgeon office today to find out I can eat applesauce, yogurt, and cottage cheese also. Ate an oz of applesauce and I'm already feeling better.

@ That's great! I am supposed to be able to eat cream of wheat but I tried that this morning and it was definitely a no-go, lol. I did find this yogurt, Oikos Triple Zero (no fat, no added sugar, no artificial sweetener) that is pretty amazing, and it has 15 gm of protein! I got the coconut cream today but I might venture back to town tomorrow to grab some more. It is tasty and goes down wonderfully. :)