Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appreciation for the Vets

I have been on this site and another one since I began my WLS journey in October 2014. I do not consider myself very active with posting put I read the site several times a day. One of the things that I have seen on both sites is this "fight" between newbies and vets. It appears to be this constant struggle of trying to help --> I'm offended --> I become defensive --> I attack --> Others join in and we have a thread with 5000 post shaming all involved.

I would like to thank the Vets on this forum for providing information and feedback. Some I like, some I don't. Some is helpful, some is not. Sometimes I read things and go wait....... then I read it again and so oh I get where they are coming from. Most importantly I truly believe that every person here is trying to provide helpful information and feedback.

I know that there will be times when I will receive the "wrath" of a vet (@@LipstickLady, @@Elode, @babbs), I welcome it because I do not want to fail. I know that there will also be the "soft kick in the butt" from vet (@@JamieLogical, @@BLERDgirl, @RJ), I welcome that as well.

I mentioned a few vets (only because I have CRS) that I see post things that are helpful to me. I am in know way excluding others. I truly appreciate you all.

Edited by slb2u2

That was nice of you to say. I certainly don't come here to fight. I try to share info and be encouraging.

I'm not a vet quite yet ;) I'm still learning, too! I suppose that's why I don't understand when people who are so new to this and have questions don't want to listen because they may not like or want to hear the answers being given. There is so much knowledge on this site to be had, if we are just willing to open our minds and LISTEN. I may not always agree, but I will always take what the vets say to heart because I know they've been there. I also think that's the key to my success so far.

Now if you're looking for me to justify behaviors I know are detrimental to your success or even potentially harmful? Not gonna happen. Otherwise I'm always willing to lend an ear. And you've got the correct mindset to succeed. :)

Agreed. I'm 6½ months out. I'm learning too. I do have experience both professionally and personally (as someone with several health issues) working with medical systems, but honestly I am just trying to share and encourage.

my surgery is on April 28th. You are both Vets to me! LOL.

I really appreciate the advice that I have read here. I am a very straigt and to the point kind of person. I refrain from commenting a lot of times becuase I know that some will get offended. It is never my intention to offend, I'm just not a "fluff" girl. I don't beleive in using a paragraph to say something that a sentence can do.

my surgery is on April 28th. You are both Vets to me! LOL.

I really appreciate the advice that I have read here. I am a very straigt and to the point kind of person. I refrain from commenting a lot of times becuase I know that some will get offended. It is never my intention to offend, I'm just not a "fluff" girl. I don't beleive in using a paragraph to say something that a sentence can do.

Ah yes. A fellow no "fluff" girl. A girl after my own heart ;)

Oh, and soon you will be far enough along after surgery to help the newbies out, too! And you, too, will feel the frustration of someone wanting to justify harmful behaviors...and just holding your tongue.

It's the circle of liiiiiiiiiife.....

Edited by Babbs

As others have said, I'm not really a "vet" yet as I am only 7 months out and a ways from goal, but I have been on these forums a while now and I have received and read a lot of advice, experiences, research, etc. I am more than happy to share my knowledge AND opinion with anyone who asks! I try to mostly do it in a constructive and supportive way, but even I get caught in a foul mood every once in a while. There have been a number of times when I've thought to myself "if I see one more post complaining about SLOW loss when they've ONLY lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks, I'm going to throw my monitor across the room!" Or "if I see one more post about someone stalling two or three weeks out and having a complete meltdown about it, I am going to delete my account!"

There have been a number of times when I've thought to myself "if I see one more post complaining about SLOW loss when they've ONLY lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks, I'm going to throw my monitor across the room!" Or "if I see one more post about someone stalling two or three weeks out and having a complete meltdown about it, I am going to delete my account!"

*Backs out of thread slowly*

There have been a number of times when I've thought to myself "if I see one more post complaining about SLOW loss when they've ONLY lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks, I'm going to throw my monitor across the room!" Or "if I see one more post about someone stalling two or three weeks out and having a complete meltdown about it, I am going to delete my account!"

*Backs out of thread slowly*

Hahahaha! The truth is out. Now everyone will fear me!

I used to be fluffy and then I had WLS. :P

I certainly don't try to show "wrath". I'm simply not a sugar coater. I seriously should have been a man. I am not good at reading emotion, I am not good at taking a hint, I forget that some people want an emotional response and instead, I am trying to FIX something.

Eh. You can't please everyone, right?

:D

@@LipstickLady, I appreciate your approach maybe because I live there! LOL. I have been accused numerous times of the same thing.

It's just the way some of us are wired up.

I do believe that you can find fault and judgement in anything if you want. You can choose to be offended and you choose to care.

A lot of times I simly do not care enough and save myself the grief.

I do love to read all of the Vets responses and the responses you receive. Sometimes its my entertainment!

:D

I'm 7 months and 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I'm 3 pounds from goal. I've had had an easy time of it, and I've been disciplined as a drill sergeant about my WLS experience.

Heck, I was so anxious to get the show on the road that I put myself on a diet for two months prior to my surgeon's pre-op diet.

In other words, I've been very determined about this. And I've done it simply by "following the directions."

So those who whine and moan and complain about not being able to ... whatever ... because they've now had WLS just bore the **** out of me.

I know how to make WLS work. It's really simple. You just do what you're supposed to do. And you'll lose weight.

So needless to say, I'm not everyone's cup of tea.

Oh ... and I'm not on the payroll here, so I get to say and do what I want. Like everyone else here, I'm just a member.

And I'm certainly not a vet. Yet. I'll be a vet in a few years. And by then I hope to have learned what's required to maintain my weight loss. I'm sure it'll have its own challenges. There's much more to learn.

@@VSGAnn2014 You are my vet! And I forgot to include you in my list.

There's so much to learn. But the best lesson I've learned so far that I'm taking with me into this liqiuid diet is, "Just shut up and do it!" or continue to be a FATA$$. It's my choice. I'm choosing to just do it!

@@VSGAnn2014

Ann is my hero :) She has been one I kind of glommed onto because she had surgery the same time as me and we have similar stats. Plus I love her no nonsense approach to it. She's sassy!

On the other hand, I do hate her for making goal before me ;)

What!!! I'm like the nicest person in here! I bring nothing but sunshine and butterflies!! :)-