Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random questions

Hi Lisa

I also have the midband but can positively feel and see my port bulge. It seems that all of Dr. Yau's patients feel and almost see their port while Dr. Coburns patients don't see or feel theirs!!! I don't know why that is. There are a people on the site that have flipped ports. That is not why you feel it though. Mine is not flipped and i feel it. Hopefully it will sink deeper in time.....

I have the APL 14 cc band - this is the larger of the 2 Inamed bands and Dr. C. told me it was chosen due to the thickness of the stomach. I cannot feel my port, and was told it is sitting against the stomach under about 2 1/2 - 3 inches of flesh (there is also a lot more of me). I think the port is about an inch or so above the large incision (the one that is infected, but clearing nicely). My first fill should happen about a week after I start solids, so I'm thinking about the 21st. I will be quite interested in finding out how easily that happens - thank goodness I am so comfortable with the clinic.

Cindy

New questions!! :

1. I found out the reason my port sticks out so much is that it has flipped onto its side. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so did you do anything about it??

2. Does anyone out there have the Inamed 10 cc. band. If so, can we chat about fills, etc. No one I've talked to has the Inamed, and most seem to have the French Midband. Would love to compare notes.

Hi Lisa;

Did you get done at TBLC? Its weird that you got an INAMED as Dr. Yau seemed to be putting in so many French MIDBANDS in July...???

MIdband holds 9.5 cc's according to the gal at the clinic. I go for my 2nd fill tomorrow.

:faint:

I have the APL 14 cc band - this is the larger of the 2 Inamed bands and Dr. C. told me it was chosen due to the thickness of the stomach. I cannot feel my port, and was told it is sitting against the stomach under about 2 1/2 - 3 inches of flesh (there is also a lot more of me). I think the port is about an inch or so above the large incision (the one that is infected, but clearing nicely). My first fill should happen about a week after I start solids, so I'm thinking about the 21st. I will be quite interested in finding out how easily that happens - thank goodness I am so comfortable with the clinic.

Cindy

Hello Cindy -

I have been on LapBandTalk for about 2 months now. I wanted to CONGRATS on the almost 30 lbs lost already. I myself have a long journey ahead. I started at a need to lose 246lbs to reach my initial goal of 170. I am feeling somewhat discourage but I hope I will feel more ocnfident after my surgery. I am having my band done in November. I can't wait. I have lost 30 lbs since April on my own and my doc approved surgery last week. But he is so far booked it won't be for another month and a half. But that's ok! I will have approx. 216lbs to lose after I get my band done. Keep up the good work!!!

~April~

New questions!! :

1. I found out the reason my port sticks out so much is that it has flipped onto its side. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so did you do anything about it??

2. Does anyone out there have the Inamed 10 cc. band. If so, can we chat about fills, etc. No one I've talked to has the Inamed, and most seem to have the French Midband. Would love to compare notes.

Hello Lisa,

My port is also sideways, and sticks out quite a bit. Apparently Dr. Yau doesn’t anchor the port any longer and flipping can happen. My fills are really easy as long as I remember to tell Nancy which side it’s flipped too. The esthetic aspect doesn’t bother me yet. Dr. Yau said he can reposition the port at any time. But I think I’ll wait until I reach my goal weight and worry about it then.

Hello Cindy -

I have been on LapBandTalk for about 2 months now. I wanted to CONGRATS on the almost 30 lbs lost already. I myself have a long journey ahead. I started at a need to lose 246lbs to reach my initial goal of 170. I am feeling somewhat discourage but I hope I will feel more ocnfident after my surgery. I am having my band done in November. I can't wait. I have lost 30 lbs since April on my own and my doc approved surgery last week. But he is so far booked it won't be for another month and a half. But that's ok! I will have approx. 216lbs to lose after I get my band done. Keep up the good work!!!

~April~

Thanks April - and while it must be hard to have to wait - if you can keep your eye on the goal, you should be able to continue to reduce and really get your head around the changes you will need to make after surgery. I think most people know they can lose a certain amount of weight on their own - the challenge comes with keeping it off. This is where the band will help us. November will be here sooner than we think.

Cindy

Hi, and thanks to all who responded. I was done at TLBC and have the 10 cc. Inamed band, which has flipped sideways. I will likely wait until I get close to goal weight to see if my port still sticks out. If it does, I'll ask Dr Yau to fix it. I seem to currently be at my sweet spot at only 2.5 cc. Still doing a bit of PB'ing even with so small a fill. But I'm doing well with wt. loss, and feeling well, generally, so I guess for now no more fills, although I have another one scheduled for Sept. 20. Am now down 56 lbs., and for the first time, I can actually believe I can and will reach my goal. What a great tool this has been! Hope to see some of you at the Sunday gathering!

If you have a small fill you may be swallowing too soon and the food is still in large pieces. If you are loosing weight that is great, but I would also look at the way you are chewing. As it is the old habits we have to change. Doddie.

I am a TBLC px too.

I think the reason Dr. Yau places the Port close to the skin is so that it makes FILLS easier ... also IF the port does flip its easier to Manipulate it back into its proper (flater) laying position.

My 2 cents!

I flew back to TO and saw Dr. Yau about my port being on its side. He explained the reason he no longer anchors the port. His example was: Take a port with the tubing and move it back and forth and it will soon break. That is why the new proceedure is to place the port directly under the skin in a pouch without anchoring it prevents the tube from detaching from the port leading to infections. My doc has a terrible time getting the needle into the port but he eventually does. It is not painful as he is just peircing the skin. I can make an appointment to have the port put right side up if I like? I am pretty close to my sweet spot now so can't see going thru more surgery if it isn't necessary. Doddie

Hi Cindy D. How are you doing.? 27.8lbs. Awesome. Are you back to work yet?

Thanks Lori - yes I went back to work on Monday and am really glad I had the time off to just recover. How about yourself? Your consults must be coming up soon. Keep us posted.

Cindy

Thank for the support Cindy - I am so anxiuos, but very happy. I will keep posting any updates as I get my actual surgery date. Does you have any suggesstions on different things to prepare for surgery such as foods for after that taste good but ar nutritious. I do have a lot of medical support at my doctors office since it was a year long program I went through just to have the surgery but, they just started doing LapBands. They used to only do RNY Bypass before February. So I feel like the information I am being given applies totally to me only some of he rules are the same. Any suggesstons???