Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Shoulder Pain After Lap Band Surgery

If you have left shoulder pain please go to poll in general discussion board.

I had my surgery 1 year and 5 months ago. I suffered with left shoulder pain a lot. It was the worst intense pain I ever had. I could not function at work or anywhere when I had this pain. The good news it is almost gone now. I get "attacks" every now and then but if I lay down and I fine within seconds. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I did a lot of research I believe it is caused by the pain in the band area. From what I have found out (I am not a medical person - so this is just from research and living with this pain), the nerve ending in your stomach/diaphragm are closely related. So when there is a problem, the nerves signal the brain to produce the pain response. But since you brain can’t tell where the signal is coming from, it sends the pain to the shoulder. Thus it is not really your shoulder that is hurting but your band area. So to relieve the pain you have to relieve the band area. That is why you get the pain after a fill, or after the initial surgery, or I get it when I am sitting down hunched over a desk (press on the band). I tried everything – heat, gas medicine, pain pills, etc. Nothing worked. The only thing that worked was laying flat on my left side. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

As I said the good news is it gets few and far between, I am still glad I got the surgery. But I wish the doctor or someone would have told me this might happen. My surgeon gave me the same answers and what you all got (from reading this tread), that it is from the gas from the surgery. But I really believe it had nothing to do with this. The lapband community needs to educate the medical professionals on this side effect and better prepare new patients.

I wonder why mine comes and goes. I can go weeks without it, and for no reason, it comes back for a few days. It's very strange.

Right now it's gone and I am glad. I am sure it will be back though.

It always comes back.

I was banded 6 days ago. The left shoulder pain was worse than the belly pain immediately after surgery. Each day it has gotten better and better, but I can still feel it a little. It feels like a muscle pull. My surgeon told me that it is from the gas that is pumped into the body for the surgery that allows room for the surgeon to find what he needs to find easily. After the surgery is over, some gas remains in the muscle tissue and seems to rise into the shoulders and that it takes time for it to dissipate. He said it would be gone in a few days. I go back to him on Tuesday for staple removal and I'll try to get more information. I hope I don't still have it months from now.

Flora

I thought I would bring this topic back, since I was looking for information on shoulder pain. I have been having some very bad shoulder pain for the last 3 days after my surgery and the only thing that has helped me is gas-x, moderately and lots of walking.

I really hope it goes away cause I don't think I can have this kind of pain for any longer.

It went away in about a week, never to return. It seems to be pretty common-- and seems always to be the LEFT shoulder.

Hang in there, Anne!

Flora

Woohooo a topic right up my alley.

I am a Massage Therapist and a Certified Surgical Technician.

The gas expands your "belly" your diaphragm is distended. In doing so, there is pressure on the phrenic nerve . There are also trigger points from your diaphragm which refer pain to the shoulder.

The insufflation of the abdominal cavity is not the only reason for the phrenic nerve to be irritated. The physiology of the surrounding peritoneal tissue is also affected. There is cellular death on a microscopic level due to the gas itself, it's temperature and it's lack of humidity.

The shoulder pain should dissipate soon after surgery.

With my MT hat on I would think there were still trigger points in serratus and the diaphragm itself.

I think I saw another MT on this board? What do you think?

:)

Woohooo a topic right up my alley.

I am a Massage Therapist and a Certified Surgical Technician.

The gas expands your "belly" your diaphragm is distended. In doing so, there is pressure on the phrenic nerve . There are also trigger points from your diaphragm which refer pain to the shoulder.

The insufflation of the abdominal cavity is not the only reason for the phrenic nerve to be irritated. The physiology of the surrounding peritoneal tissue is also affected. There is cellular death on a microscopic level due to the gas itself, it's temperature and it's lack of humidity.

The shoulder pain should dissipate soon after surgery.

With my MT hat on I would think there were still trigger points in serratus and the diaphragm itself.

I think I saw another MT on this board? What do you think?

:)

That makes sense for the pain right after surgery but how do you explain the shoulder pain that many of us have months or years after surgery? I get it when I eat too much (it's a "soft stop" for me). I was banded almost 10 months ago. Just wondering your theory on that. Thanks!

That makes sense for the pain right after surgery but how do you explain the shoulder pain that many of us have months or years after surgery? I get it when I eat too much (it's a "soft stop" for me). I was banded almost 10 months ago. Just wondering your theory on that. Thanks!

I'll think on it. :cryAs an MT nearly everything I see has a soft tissue & trigger point link.

Which side is your port on? Which side is your pain?

Is the pain typical of what you had post op?

Are you left or right handed?

Do you have any cervical or thoracic tightness?

When was your last massage?:)

I'll think on it. :cryAs an MT nearly everything I see has a soft tissue & trigger point link.

Which side is your port on? Which side is your pain?

Is the pain typical of what you had post op?

Are you left or right handed?

Do you have any cervical or thoracic tightness?

When was your last massage?:)

My port is on the left and my shoulder pain is also in the left shoulder area but more in the front just below the collar bone. Yes, it seems about the same as it did post op but not as often or intense. I'm left handed (actually, I am more ambidextrous since I do everything right handed except write). Three of my daughters are massage therapists but I haven't thought to mention it to them. I've had a few messages but I'm not fond of massages--I don't like people feeling my fat. Maybe someday...

I have left shoulder pain off and on. There doesn't seem to be anything that causes it. I never know when it's going to come or

go. I have heard of a lot of people that always have it even if their surgery was years ago.

I thought it was bursitis until I started reading this board and another one, and found out that people have left shoulder pain

even if they were banded a few years ago. Everyone does say it has something to do with the band pressing on the diaphragm.

Hello Everyone: I am awaiting my approval hopefully by March. I am a nurse and there is something that is called referred pain. I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy many years ago but one of the most memorable pains I had, was terrible pain in my shoulders. I was told after the surgery that what I was having was referred pain. You have something wrong one place and you get pain in a completely unrelated far away place. Just a thought that maybe your stomach does press on nerves that causes the shoulder pain.

I am getting a little nervous as I don't want to think I'm having a heart attack everyday post op.

Have a great day.

Susan

Always check with your normal doctor; overweight women especially between 40+ and some if diabetic, very common to have frozen shoulder; go in and google frozen shoulder; i have had both shoulders done since i had the lap band; So check it out

I am probably going to switch lap band doctors as I have not been happy at all; i have been a bander for 2 years; lost 80 lbs but have gained 30 back; i got overfilled in September; called my doctor in middle of night and he was not concerned; i was throwing up every 20 minutes my own vial; he said, come in the morning and we will take some out; after throwing up all the way in; he wasn't in that day;

a "presumed" nurse released some and said the dr " " is known to overfill, being too aggressive; it took 3 fills to get enough out so i could drink a liquid again; then since then it has taken forever to get in and when you do get in it's like a 3 hour wait, it's become a waiting room machine and the care is gone. Doctor is thinking more money than care. In addition, this doctor is no longer taking united healthcare. So what happens when you have a medical problem/or need surgery. Who pays for it now??? In addition, I have gained back these 30 lbs as I can eat everything and anything in any bite size i want. Doctor doesn't seem to care? My question is: i have no pain, no problems, do i have a leak or what is wrong with me?????????????? In Plano,, TX (suberb of Dallas, TX ) any suggestions for doctors