Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG in Mexico One Week Post-op

Hey everyone! I finally had my VSG on March 17th through BeLite Weight (BWL) in Juarez, MX at the Star Medica hospital. First I must say the hospital is the nicest and cleanliest hospital I have ever been in. They kept me there the whole time. They cleaned twice a day and I was able to watch some English channels on cable. The WiFi only worked right outside the room but I was able to keep in contact with people back home. My gf came with me and I was happy about that. It gets boring after awhile and I was awake a lot. It is a hospital so you are constantly waken up to clean your drain, check your IV, blood pressure, temperature and bring you fluids. I went the same day as surgery so I didn't take more time off work.

Let me tell you about the surgery process. They conducted an X-ray. EKG, and blood work. One nurse tried several times to find a vein for the IV to no avail. At one point she stuck the needle wrong and it hurt pretty bad. So she stopped and I had the IV put in when I was under. I got to the hospital at 1pm and I was rolled to the surgery room around 2:45pm. I was awake being wheeled to my room and it was 5:00pm. I could barely open my eyes but I was able to talk a little bit to my gf in the room. I went to sleep for several hours and woke up to urinate about 3 times. I had 4 incisions and was surprised the next day that they are pretty tiny. I was wide awake around 6:30am so I decided to walk the hallways and use my phone. The gas gave me some discomfort but not super painful. I tried a Gas-x strip and it made me super nauseous and made my mouth Water a lot. I did spit a lot for the first day but no throw up. I wasn't allowed to drink anything the next day so my mouth was dry but I gurgled mouthwash and used lots of chap stick.

The third day I was given Jello, chicken broth, ice chips and apple juice on a tray to start fluids. The jello made my stomach hurt but I was able to do some ice chips, chicken broth and apple juice without a problem. Anytime I consumed fluids I did burp and fart (lol) which made me feel less bloated as the days went on. The doctor told me there wasn't any complications and everything looked great. Next I was taken to do a leak test and I drank the contrast Fluid. After a few minutes I did throw up a small amount of slimy stuff. The contrast was super gross. Eww! I saw my tiny stomach and my drain was taken out without any pain. That day I felt well enough to go shopping of course. There was a great mall across the mall and walked about for an hour. I was pretty exhausted after that and took a nap. We left on Friday and the ride through the border went fine. I didn't get home until Saturday due to plane shenanigans but was super happy to be home.

So far I am having trouble getting 64 ounces in but I am forcing about 24 ounces in now :-( I have tried Protein Shakes several times but it still makes me sick. I realized cold beverages and straight water make me sick but my stomach loves hot things. I am living on room temperature crystal light, sugar free popsicles and chicken broth. I am feeling pretty hungry now but when I take a few sips I feel better. I am looking to the soft food stage next week! I am grieving food but I know it's part of the process. I have been feeling weak but I know it's the lack of nutrients and Protein. I am working on incorporating protein somehow on my full liquid diet this week. I am thankful that I work from home due to my weakness and internal cries for food. Today I stepped on the scale and I am 8 pounds down and no pain! My gallbladder removal hurt more than this procedure. The weight loss motivates me to keep strong against temptations. I well keep you posted on my progress. :-)

HW: 220

SW: 196

CW: 188

Was this with Dr. Rodriguez ?

Was this with Dr. Rodriguez ?

Yes it was. He came to see me three times. Very warm and friendly guy.

I'm hoping to schedule with him in April for a revision from sleeve to MGB, so good to hear your experience went so well !

Congrats! I'm glad to hear everything was great for you :)