Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back and Banded, too!!

I received my lap band last Fri, Oct 21st. Wow I thought I was dying when I woke up in recovery. My chest hurt so bad, that they kept reassuring me that my ekg was fine. When I finally realized where the monitor was, I kept looking at it to be sure. It was. It was the gas that hurt soooooo bad for the whole day and night. Finally it moved from my chest, but went to my upper shoulder, ear and left side. It was a nightmare (the gas pain). I did do a lot of walking to try to get it to move. Walking does help, but ROCKING also helped me ALOT!!! There was a glider rocker in my room and Sat. morning, I realized rocking was a good thing for me. Just get moving some way, nothing strenuous, though. I am already tired of Jell-O, it's not my favorite anyway. I'm so thankful that I was not sent home the first day, I think that happens a lot in the states, not real sure though, anywho, I'm thankful that I had a hospital bed. I couldn't have laid in bed for anything that first night. At the hospital, they let me have Jello, ice chips, tea, which felt really good on my sore throat (from the tube during surgery), and apple juice.

Friday night my husband and I were ready to come home. There is not place like home!! So Saturday morning my Dr. released me, with his asst.'s help, We got our plane tickets arranged and we were out of there!! NOBODY told me how difficult the ride back to the airport would be. The roads there are a little rough and with all that gas blowed up in me, every time we would hit rough spots I would kind of grab my belly and say oooohhhhhh!! The taxi driver would look at me through his mirror. One time he did say x-cuz me. I just smiled. I didn't know if he new that I may be in pain or not. I speak hardly any Spanish.

On the plane we had a good bit of turbulence for the 1st 15 minutes of take off and a little with the landing. That was a little painful. And Ahhhh, the Atlanta airport!!, we won't go there!! On the plane, I took on a Migraine, so by the time I got in our car, I was depressed!! I just started crying. I was hurting from head to the bottom of my stomach. I honestly don't think the band surgery wouldn’t' have hurt so much, if I hadn't had so much gas and then the migraine, which is now gone, Hopefully soon, I'll be feeling a 100%! Saturday night, I slept propped up on about 4 pillows.

Did any of you gain after your surgery? I've gained a pound and a 1/2!! Maybe because of the swelling. Who knows? In Atlanta, I got a Steak n shake, vanilla shake, which was wonderful. I'm not a big fan of jello, so anything was better that that. At home, chicken broth from Chicken noodle Soup has been my favorite, and a choc. Frosty from Wendy's. Also, applesauce is good and apple and cranberry juice.

Monday, Oct 25 ~ A lot of my gas is gone today and my stomach isn't so tight, so I can bend and get around a lot better today. Anywho, I'm just so thankful to be home. I just took a shower and feel a lot better already. I was up early with kids, gettin lunches ready and kids out the door. After that I laid back down. That is now getting easier also. I can lay flat down now with slow turning. I know everyday will be better and my new life is just ahead of me. I sit here and think of food that I'm going to be sorry for that I and probably no longer eat, but then isn't there little cliché that goes something like this ....

Nothing tastes as good as being small feels... :banana :banana :banana

That's my experience so far

Gagirl, be kind to yourself! Your body has been through the trauma of surgery and the aftereffects of anesthesia. It really does get better! And those kids are always good for a "reality check", aren't they? LOL Please follow your dr's eating orders. Concentrate on healing and don't worry about your weight. Try to get all your fluids in so you don't get dehydrated. You may gain some weight. But it's temporary and you'll soon be "losing". Congratulations on being a Bandster!

Congratulations! I'm sorry it was so painful for you, though. I'm glad you are feeling better. Try to stay away from those chocolate shakes if possible. You might as well get into good band habits now.

Nancy

Hey thanks for all of your support everyone. I love this place, it's really encouraging. I am feeling a lot better today! and so thankful, however the gas is back in my chest cavity again. I can't hardly take a deep breath and am having a very hard time burping. Any suggestions?

thanks again

Alot of people have tried GasX type products and say they work really well. I've seen one mentioned that is a liquid, I'm sure someone here knows the brand.....

Congrats on your banding :rolleyes:

Dr. Arturo Rodriguez is the Dr. I chose. To go to thebariatrics.com, then go to the group and then to laparoscopic surgeon and you can see a picture of him and read all about him.

He has some amazing credentials to brag about!! My experience was good! My husband went with me. I don't know how some people do it alone, I admire them. Anywho, we flew in, was picked up by a taxi driver standing with a sign that had my name on it. Man, so those taxi drivers scare me to death!! lol ~ he took us to the hotel. Dianna, his coordinator, called me at the hotel, told me she was going to come by and pick me up and take me to the hospitals (there was two to chose from) ( Dianna is an absolute sweetheart and please pray for her, she has a very tough type of Lupus) We went to the smaller one and Dr. Rodriguez was there. I got to talk to him, he was so kind, and all smiles. He explained to my husband and me what would be happening. I was so amazed that he stood there in that hospital hall in scrubs and just talked and laughed with us. NO US doctor would ever do that, or not one that I know anyway. I told him that I wanted a good MX dish for dinner, so he had Dianna take us to his brother’s restaurant, which was wonderful. I'm so thankful for Dianna though, because we speak very, very little Spanish and she was so helpful. After dinner she took us back to the hotel and told us to be ready at 7am the next morning for the taxi driver, we were ready early, as the taxi driver was early also. When we got to the hospital, I kinda panicked some, because Dianna was not there and I had to fill out papers w/o her help, however the ones that were pure Spanish, I did not sign until she got there.

The nurses took me back w/o my hubby, which is normal, but concerned me. But they were so sweet and one could speak words of English, so I knew what was happening. For example, to start my IV, she kinda pinched her arm, said pinch, and showed me the needle, I new she was starting an IV and said okay. I then new that there is a way to communicate with the world even if you think you can't. However she blew 2 veins and I started crying, Well, IT HURT, so bad!!! LOL Anywho another nurse came in and patted me and she tried successfully for the 3rd time. Dianna got there about that time and I did feel a little better with her there. WHY, I don't know, I just did!!

My husband came back and stayed with me until my surgery. Then they rolled me off to surgery. When I woke up, I was having chest pain so badly, I thought something was wrong; it was only gas, but very bad though!!!! I was taken to my room and slept a lot that day until late afternoon, except one time to get up and walk. Dr. Rodriguez came by to check on me, woke me up and said all went well and told me what to expect the next few hours and to be sure to walk. I did walk some more that evening. By evening I was ready to go home. Sat. morning his asst.'s made plane arrangements for us to go home a day early. I was sooooo ready to go home. My experience was good, but I still was ready for home, I didn't want to go back to the hotel, plus I really missed my kids so much. Also, I met a new friend and we visited each other back and forth on Friday night and Sat. morning. Anywho, we were scheduled to leave at 1pm from the hospital, Laura; my new friend came to visit, as did Dr. Rodriguez. My husband took pictures of us together; Dr. Rodriguez hung out and just chatted with us. I was really impressed with him. He is a very kind person with a lot of laughter!!

The taxi driver was really a rough driver, plus the roads are a little rough also, but it about killed me, because the gas in my chest hurt so badly. The plane ride was good, with some turbulence. But the Atlanta airport, well, it's huge and with all that walking, I was totally worn out by the time I got home and was I glad to be home.

The gas is getting better and it's getting easier to lay down and turn over. It just takes time, That’s my experience .........

how about you, did you go to MX and where are you getting your fills?

take care

I felt the same way you did --I was banded last week 10/19... The gas was awful the pressure and the pain in my left shoulder and back . My plane ride was really awful too --I was alone though... I am feeling so much better everyday though. I hope you do too. I am so glad it is over but I knew going in no matter what I had to do it and I would see it through. I had to be strong , follow the directions given to me about everything and pray it would be the tool I need to get me finally going. So far I must say it is.... Mexico was hard alone but I am waking up everyday happy and hopeful . I hope you feel better soon take it easy...

gagirl and Kelly Ann,

Congrats on your banding! It won't be long before you're telling yourself "Ah! that was nothing"! :rolleyes:

Every day gets better. The hard part is over with. Now the exciting part begins, a new healthier thinner YOU!

You two take care, don't overdue and keep us updated on your progress.

wow I give those of you alot of credit who went alone. That must have been tough. It is very strong and curagious of you. I am so glad to hear your stories I went to Dr. Rumbaut and was banded sept. 8th. And I am doing really great. I just had my first fill and I went to dr. fielding in nyc. The fill was a breeze compared to the surgery. But he didnt do a fluro he just felt for the port found it then in the needle went. I am glad we all have eachother to compare notes. support is so important!

Guest Cali4kneeia

Hello Everyone! I was also banded on October 21st! I had a pretty good experience down in Mexico. The only complaints I have right now are shoulder pain..(Weird huh). And this chest pain under my left breast when I breathe....

Does anyone know why this may be occuring?

Regards,

Banded October 21, 2004

INAMED Lap Band

Obesity Goodbye Center

Goal: 125

Lost: -8

Congratulations, I was banded in Monterrey on Oct.6 and I had a lot og gas built up also. You do gain a little weight after surgery because you still are blotted. I decide not to weigh myself until my first fill so I don't know how much I have lost. I just know this, today starts my fourth week post-op and I got into a size 16 capri pants. A lot of my clothes ranges from 16-22 because I had did so many diets and the last diet I did I got down to a 16 but went back up to a 22. I didn't give any of my 16s away. I think that I lose mre inches then weight anyway. So good luck and keep us udated as I will do the same.

Selecia

10/06/04

Dr. Rodriguez

first fill 11/12/04

Calia and Selecia, It sounds like you both are having a normal band recovery. Every day gets a little better. Take it easy w/ ab. exercises, try to do some form of exercise regularly (walking, etc.), drink your Water quota, and follow your surgeon's post-op orders. We want you to heal properly and be successful bandsters! Best of luck to you!