Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Torani Sugar Free Syrup - Am I mixing it wrong?

After reading that several members here use and love the Torani sugar free syrups, I bought a selection from their website and waited impatiently to try them.

Now I've tried three of them. And I can't stand the taste!

The first time, I mixed a dash of French vanilla into a cup of coffee. A few days later, I added a few drops of the White chocolate to my Syntrax Vanilla Bean Protein Shake. Today I tried adding two teaspoons of S'mores Syrup to my coffee. All 3 drinks tasted fine before I added the syrup but there was a strong bitter, chemical-like tang to the drinks after I added the syrup.

The taste was so bad all three times that I poured the rest of the drink down the sink. Now I'm a little afraid to try again.

Am I adding too much syrup? Too little? Not mixing it in the right type of beverage?

I really want to enjoy these syrups. Plus, I spent too much on them for them not to be used. Please help!

Note: I'm pre-op, my surgery is in 3 days.

Edited by Okiebon

Probs the chemical sweetener that's in it.

Horrible stuff. Bad for you and I cant stand the taste of it either!

Try to give up the sweets wherever you can. Best of luck on your journey! (was a piece of cake oops for me)

W

So it was as easy as pie for you?

Sorry! I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

I was wondering if it might be the sweetener, but none of the reviews ever mentioned a bitter taste, so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Thank you!

Edited by Okiebon

Black cherry was really bad but the raspberry was ok in Water.

@@Okiebon I bought the hazelnut from my Walmart and I don't love it either.

Thank you, I'm glad to know it isn't just me. I even worried that I'd gotten a 'bad batch' or something.

I hate most of them, but caramel is okay. ..and I stress the word "okay." But a lot of people do love them.

Black cherry was really bad but the raspberry was ok in Water.

I almost ordered the black cherry, too.

I just checked Torani's website - it says that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. It looks like I should be able to return everything for a full refund (less the expensive S & H, of course). That's more than I expected though.

I hate most of them, but caramel is okay. ..and I stress the word "okay." But a lot of people do love them.

I haven't opened the Salted Carmel, but I'm not going to bother. I'm going to return it all as soon as possible.

(LOVE that sweet little face in your avitar!!)

I use regular Torani and Davinci syrups....not the sugar free. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners. I actually couldn't tolerate it postop, it hurt my sleeve, so I've done regular Vitamin Water and lifewater, 100% fruit juice, etc since day one. I avoid "sugar free" anything other than some of my Protein powders because that artificial taste is not as noticeable in them.

Here is the thing, your tastes change so much after surgery. I do not enjoy anything that has a sweet flavor at all. Unless it is natural like in fruit or vegetables. I like that a sweet potato needs nothing but a little bit of salt for me. I only eat a small spoonful or two about once a week but man are they good!

Fruit tastes good to me too.

Artificial sweetners, sugar, honey, agave, etc. I just don't like how they taste which I guess is great news.

I'm really, really hoping my tastes change in a similar way after surgery. Sweets have always been such a problem for me. I don't want to want them anymore.

I never tried them before surgery, but I bought every single sugar-free flavor post-surgery in one big order and I just love them.

I add the flavors like Gingerbread, Brown Sugar Cinnamon, S'Mores, pumpkin Pie, vanilla Bean, English Toffee, Belgian Cookie, etc to Chike vanilla Protein shakes with ice in the blender and it's just like having a Coolatta except for the calories. Delicious. I bought the dispensing pumps to get the servings right ... two big squirts.

The fruit flavors are great in ice Water. Maybe you aren't using enough.

On the website they have a lot of great recipes. sugar-free Coconut iced coffee was very good.

I did just like JerseyCityGal and bought 1 of every flavor that I thought I would like. I bought my pre-op and used them to flavor my Protein drinks... ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!! My NUT told me that I i could use 3-4 pumps at one time, which really worked for me.

However, post-op I cannot stand the taste of any of them. My daughter still likes them, and fortunately for me she uses them in her smoothies, etc. so they aren't going to waste.

It is so true that your tastes will change dramatically after surgery. I'm like a lot of people in that I really can't tolerate artificial sweeteners anymore.

You're likely sensitive to the flavor of artificial sweeteners. For example, some people think Diet Coke tastes exactly like regular Coke, but to me, the Diet Coke (or any diet soda) has a horrible metallic flavor to it. I can't tolerate anything with artificial sweeteners in it, so I can't drink any of the additives that people put in their Water or shakes. My aversion to the artificial sweeteners is so strong that I even have to drink Protein drinks that are sweetened with stevia instead of artificial sweeteners. I can't tolerate any of the sucralose-sweetened mixes (the Syntrax Nectars, for example), and that's the majority of the market.