Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Choosing Fat over Sugar?

Hi, I'm really wanting to get rid of "diet" foods, after decades using them. I've been "food label" comparing lately and there is definately more Sugar in diet or low-fat foods eg. Cottage/ ricotta cheese, yoghurt, sauces, etc.

I now feel only using lowfat dairy foods eg. Cheese/milk and forgetting about the rest.

What has worked for you?

My NUT and surgeon told me to use the real stuff and not use diet because of all the hidden sugar. They said if they take out fat they add sugar and if they take out sugar they add fat...it's pretty accurate.

Yeah, I eat cheese most mornings. I do get the reduced fat since my surgeon suggests no more than 10 g of fat or sugar at a sitting. The reduced fat lets me have 2 1-oz cheese sticks for 10 g of Protein and like 7-8 g of fat, no carbs. I don't eat diet food, I eat meat and cheese and nuts mainly, along with a Protein shake a day and the occasional Protein Bar. The one 'diet' food i would have trouble getting rid of is the mio (kind of like crystal light). I drink about 1/2 plain Water and 1/2 flavored with mio. I don't like the idea of artificial sweeteners, but it makes it easier in to get in all that Water if I have some variety.

Do read labels. Read the full labels. There was a topic on this the other day and I read the labels for my reduced fat string cheese versus full fat and my Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt versus the Oikos full fat and in both cases, the low fat option was better in EVERY way. So I discourage blanket ruled like "always choose full fat over low fat". That being said, a little fat is good for you! My general rule is just to make sure whatever I'm eating has more grams of Protein than fat. When choosing meats, yogurts, Protein Bars, cheeses.... I always check to make sure the total Protein is higher than the total fat and that rule serves me well.

And when it comes to Condiments or things I only consume in tiny quantities anyway, I don't worry about fat. mayo, butter, etc. When you are eating less than a teaspoon of something, even it it's full fat, there really aren't that many fat grams.

But definitely read the labels! Blanket rules are never a good idea.

I just got done reading "The Zone" by Barry Sears and it was quite an eye opener. It explains the science behind why dietary fat does NOT make us fat. It's a valuable resource and something I wish I would have read years ago when the weight loss industry was telling us to eat more carbs to lose weight. The Zone eating plan does coincide with the post op Bariatric Eating plan, so it's definitely a must read.

Here's a link to that thread I mentioned earlier:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/334874-whats-your-opinion-of-low-fat/

It may be too general to say what works for me will work for everyone...BUT...here it goes.

I prefer moderate fat (low fat, but not non-fat) and low carb (under 5 net carbs per meal were possible). I did Atkins for years and found that it helped reduce my binging dramatically. I discussed with my nutritionist and she was fine with it, though suggested I try adding in lower glycemic index carbs such and freshly-prepared (not canned) green lentils and black Beans. I have started cycling these legumes without triggering cravings, so will continue to use them in moderation.

Now that I'm at my goal weight, I may experiment a bit, but am so happy with high-Protein, moderate fat, low carb that I my just stick with it. It's completely satisfying. I just find that most starches are just too calorie-dense and not satisfying as Proteins or non-starchy foods.

Once sleeved, there really is very limited room for more than Protein plus a few veggies, which is fantastic. Of course, many people here add potatoes, rice, and other starches without problems.

I think one of the most important aspects of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is cooking your own food using fresh ingredients and limiting prepackaged/processed foods.

Best of luck!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

When I dieted in the past, I watched calories and fat. This time (I'm still pre-op) I'm paying attention to calories, Protein and carbs - for me, it's working so much better. I ignore fat content completely.

I told my dietitian that I'm not paying attention to fat and she didn't bat an eyelid. I figure if she thought it wasn't the best idea, she'd have said something.

I find that higher sugar foods do not sit comfortably with me. I agree with the "read the label" advice. You need some fat in your diet -- it's not all bad. I would rather have a small amount of fat rather than a lot of sugar. And those foods feel more comfortable. For example: most days I have 1/2 cup of Prairie Farms 1% Cottage cheese for Breakfast. 12 grams Protein with 1.5 grams fat. Tastes great, satisfies, 80 calorie start to the day. The fat free version still had 80 calories, but more sugar and didn't taste and satisfy as well.

Good luck!

Edited by Elizabeth21

Thanks everyone for your input. Guess its a bit of a process, trying new choices and seeing if it works. Just so badly want to get all those unhelpful old "dieting" rules out of my mind and daily life. :)

Edited by DizzyLizzie