Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone like the band better?

I loved my band, while it worked. I had it in June 2006, and until February of 2013 it was effective. I lost 85 lbs, and maintained it. I started to have heartburn and acid reflux in 2013. I also started to regain weight, a total of 55 lbs. back. When I couldn't take it any longer, my surgeon recommended the sleeve. I had the sleeve done in July 2014, and I absolutely hate it. It has been a struggle to lose weight. I have only lost 12 lbs., and the heartburn never went away, and now the acid reflux is getting really bad again. I am constantly hungry. The sleeve has been so stressful, and I feel like such a failure. My surgeon is now recommending the bypass, as that will permanently relive the reflux and heartburn. I don't know what to do, as I am very uncomfortable with the idea of rerouting my insides, no longer absorbing nutrients, and dumping syndrome. I know that you asked one question, and while answering it, I am thinking - has anyone had a similar experience to mine?

Yes ! You are not alone ! I was banded in 2007 and did great as well. I revised to sleeve in 2013 and I hate it and Iv gained 20 lbs with it and I'm always hungry and it's truly like I never even had surgery at all of any kind. I never imagined that I would even consider any type if malabsorption procedure but I'm scheduled to revise to a mini bypass in less than 2 weeks and I can't wait to put this small Detour (sleeve) behind me and get back to losing weight again !

Thanks for responding. Best of luck to you. Let me know how you are doing.

Interesting discussion here. I was banded in 2009. Not that much success - 25lbs lost. No issues to speak of until my last fill which put me at 8.5cc and now I'm finding it harder to keep things down. I seem to do a lot of sliming - sometimes even with just a couple of small bits of something like chicken or other solid/dense foods. Plus the port site seems to always be painful.

I'm waiting now to hear back from my surgeons office as to whether or not my insurance will cover a revision. I was thinking about going to the sleeve, but now wonder if I should consider the bypass instead - which I really didn't want something so extreme, but. My sister has had success with the sleeve - she got hers a couple years ago. I'm really torn. But I guess I should wait and see if the insurance will even cover it first.

I saw a mention of a "mini bypass" - what is that exactly?

It's prob easier if you do a quick search and then scan the images of full bypass VS mini but mostly it's less surgery time, less invasive (only one new connection to make) easier recovery and less risk of complication with just as good and most believe even better weight loss. The stomach pouch is longer (like the sleeve) but they do bypass a little more of the intestines (around 7').

Ahhh...thanks for that info, Band07. I'll google it :)

I loved my band and was successful with losing weight. However, I first developed some reflux and had Fluid removed, then, I could never get the adjustment right. always too tight or too loose. Later, I lost my vision in 1 eye and was diagnosed with MGUS. Though my vision ultimately returned, I had a fear of this device being in me. I was told that there wasn't any correlation, and they are likely correct, however, I couldn't relax and didn't feel reassured. So, I had the band removed and revised. I really didn't want any other wls, but I was gaining so quickly that I needed something and, so far so good. :D

I don't know that people were misled as much as new information I on has been discovered/revealed over the course of time. I'd been warned that the band was still relativelly new and as such there weren't the types of long term studies that would show it's performance over decades.

Yeah @Cleos mom, the surgeon I know was only telling me the info about the autoimmune showijg up as a point of interest. She herself said there was no way to know if it was caused by the band or independent. She only said she'd noticed it.

I myself had much worse gerd with the band than with the sleeve and I vomited dai l y. Not the sleeves fault. I just never learned to work with it.

I have had the band for 7 years.2 years ago I was getting close to my goal weight. I had lost 80 lbs. and went in for a fill but my dr told me my body was rejecting it.I have gained 40 lbs. and have awful inflammation The last year and a half has been hell with all the stomach problems. I have scheduled surgery for June 5 for a revision surgery to the sleeve. Any advice

I had the band around 2005 and had no weight loss. I decided in 2008 to go in for a adjustment and they found the problem with the port which was changed and I lost 85 lbs and kept off until November 2013. I had a slippage. I decided to go to Mexico for a sleeve since my insurance wouldn't pay anything for WLS. I had the sleeve in January 2014. I have gained 15 pounds since the sleeve now. I have never felt like others with the sleeve. I have always been hungry. I am now scheduled for a resleeve May 18th

@@cute1

This is why I say all weight loss surgery is a crap shoot. You never know until you've had it what YOUR results will be or what complications you many have. I hope you have success with your resleeve.

Nope! My only regret is that I waited so long. I have had the "effects" of a slipped band for about 2 years...and today is 2 weeks post-op for my revision. I'm just getting to advance my diet to pureed today...haven't had any heartburn, "stuck" feeling, am able to sleep with my head completely flat...

Good luck with your surgery.

I had my lap band in 2004. I did good for a while. Over a period of a year and three adjustments I lost 100 lbs. I did have issues now and again with sliming depending on what I ate. Around the first part of 2014 I started have lots of reflux and was not able to drink anything in the mornings. It was usually around noon before I could eat or drink without vomiting. I was sleeping basically sitting up and buying stock in tums. It got to the point where I would wake up gurgling on Fluid coming out my nose and mouth. Last May the dr removed all the fluid from my band and I had an upper GI series. He said the band had slipped and it had to come out. We were in the process of moving across the state so he said it was no emergency to do right away. Over the followings months up until now I have gained 87 lbs. I am so frustrated with myself. At my smallest I was 137 lbs wore a size 6. After moving I have found a surgeon, jumped through all the hoops for insurance and now have my sleeve scheduled for May 28. I am so ready to get this band out. I should probably stop reading all this stuff on the net because it is scaring me. Example: people reporting that their band was embedded in their liver. Saw the surgeon yesterday and got some much reassurance. It will also be wonderful to wear the 10 boxes of clothes in my garage.