Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Migraines...how did your sleeve affect your migraines?

I have bad Migraines, have since I was 14. I am to where now I have them atleast 3 times a week. Does anyone out there have migraines, and how did your sleeve affect them? My worst fear is they make them worse. I assume they will be worse at first becaue of liquid diet, not eating always gives me headache. My concern is beyond that, anyone have feedback?

I am only almost two weeks out so I'm not the best source for an answer. But I've had them since I was 6. Yes 6! Back when liquid Motrin was the only thing available for kids headaches. Before surgery I took Ibuprofen 800 if I even thought I was getting one about twice a day along with a real Coca-Cola. And Imitrex if I didn't catch it in time. I frequented the military hospital when they got too bad and they knew me well. I did have a few on the liquid diet due to sodium and stuff and on the 3rd day post op quit my pain meds because Percocet gives me a rebound Migraine BUT I have not had one since then. I have never in my life gone this long without a migraine. So I hope you have the same results as me and this surgery helps your migraine. I know I'm no help to your question but wanted to share. :)

That's really helpful. Thanks. It would be a dream come true if it helped them

I didn't have frequent Migraines (2-4x/year) but I did have frequent headaches (1-2x/week). Since the surgery I've had, I think, maybe 2 headaches, both minor. And I'm almost 8 weeks out. No migraines in that time.

I would get VERY frequent Migraines that would last anywhere from 2-5 days (every week of the past 6 years). Horrible and debilitating. My surgery was 12/3 and I am over the moon to report that I have NOT had even one since then. I am almost convinced that the amount of sugar I ate contributed to them, that or hormones. Life is so very good these days. Weight is coming off and no more migraines or Migraine meds (topirimate is an evil drug that makes you so spacey that you aren't even sure where you are). The surgery has been a Godsend to me and I am so thankful it was an option. No regrets.

I had to add topimax to my medication list twice a day to help prevent them. When they come on I have to take imitrex and if needed something for the nausea.

I was getting daily tension headaches as well and I was using the heating pad on my neck every day. I take Tylenol for the daily.

So far I think it's helped. The side effects have been noticeable but manageable.

I'm thankful my neck pain is greatly reduced and the Migraines are fewer.

I think you just have to be proactive about your care and trust yourself and your body in what's best for you.

I have a great team of doctors too.

Good luck to you.

Zane's Mom....are you still getting them? I was on topirimate daily and relpax when they came on. Nothing really touched them once they started. Like you, I was taking excedrin Migraine for the daily headaches but using cold packs on my neck. I am so thankful the Migraines are gone (knocking on wood right now). The neck pain is still there, but I think that is from these huge breasts I have to lug around! I am hoping to have a reduction mid summer to alleviate that pain.

I sure hope the migraines are on their way into your past!

I am a Migraine sufferer too and worried about keeping up with meds post op and pain medication rebound headaches. I'm not 100% sure but I think I read that you can't take pills after surgery. I take lots of prescriptions and missing even one day could send me into a tailspin. I'm going to Mexico for surgery so I can't have my doctor adjust my daily scripts post op, it all needs to be planned in advance.

I was worried as well about the meds. Most of my meds I could have gotten in liquid form post-op. . I didnt have a rebound Migraine from the pain meds until about 3rd day postop but I was also dehydrated. Also, I havent had to use it yet but they make a Zomig nasal spray to replace a migraine pill. I take Imitrex but Zomig will do the job as well. Definitely keeping well hydrated will prevent alot. Im 15 days post-op and Ive taken my small thyroid pill and my bp meds from day one. I was scared to, but theyve never given me a problem. If its small you can take it. And Id research or ask dr about the ones you could crush...not time release or XR. Hope this helps.

Great ideas! I take Maxalt but have been on injection imitrex and still have that. I know Maxalt comes in a sublingual form so maybe I can get a prescription for that beforehand.

Thanks for your help :)

I used to get terrible migraines! At least 2 a week. Took a Topamax daily, Relpax when the Migraine was kicking in and an Imitrex injection if I woke up with one, or a few hours after taking a Relpax. I'm happy to report I've only had 2 Migraines in the past almost 3 months, and nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Edited by Big_Mama

I was in the ER with a Migraine last night. I am scheduled for sleeve on 3/31. I only started getting bad Migraines this past year. As of now, I take imitrex, which works about 75% of the time. My dr. was talking about putting me on Topamax daily to prevent. Not sure what to do, because I haven't discussed pill alternatives for imitrex. As sick as I felt last night, I was ready to tell my dr that I wanted to try the Topamax. From what I'm hearing, maybe I should wait and see if the sleeve has a positive effect?

I'm glad I came across this topic. I haven't had my surgery yet, and my Migraines aren't as frequent as many of yours (8-10 per year), but they're debilitating and I hate using my personal/vacation days in bed with the lights out! I hope my sleeve/weight loss will reduce the number of headaches like it has for many of you.

I was in the ER with a Migraine last night. I am scheduled for sleeve on 3/31. I only started getting bad Migraines this past year. As of now, I take imitrex, which works about 75% of the time. My dr. was talking about putting me on Topamax daily to prevent. Not sure what to do, because I haven't discussed pill alternatives for imitrex. As sick as I felt last night, I was ready to tell my dr that I wanted to try the Topamax. From what I'm hearing, maybe I should wait and see if the sleeve has a positive effect?

I've tried Topamax before, it did help for a short time. But some of the side effects are hard to handle. One was good, I lost weight! Eventually came back though. I'm really hoping the sleeve surgery (weight loss) helps them, would be an added bonus! Cause mine have gotten much worse over past five years or so that I have really gained weight

I have suffered with Migraines for 22 years. They have improved substantially in the last few months, especially post surgery. I hardly ever have to take a Maxalt. I am sure that change in diet, losing weight, all of it has contributed to my greater well being. But I used to have 3-4 bad migraines a month, easily, and I (knock on wood) can't remember the last one I had. That is a miracle. Hope you will have a similar experience, as I know how very painful they can be. I'm so happy they are becoming a thing of the past for the most part. There are probably still things like changes in weather that I can't really control, but all of the diet triggered migraines I'm sure I used to get, are a thing of the past. Thank goodness! Best of luck to you!