Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about protein & working out

I went to the gym for the first time and met with my personal trainer. They state right up front that they are not nutritionists, which I appreciate, but they did tell me how much Protein I need to get in on a daily basis while doing this program as well as an increased amount on days that I work out.

Has anyone else seen this? Based on their calculations, on workout days I would need to get 100 grams of protein. Is there such a thing as too much protein?

Just curious. I see my doc next week so I will ask them as well.

Yes too much Protein is hard on the kidneys. But 100g if you are building muscle is totally reasonable and nowhere near the too much area. Check w ur dr and nutritionist to be certain but I work out a lot and have a lot of muscle mass and I get 90-110 grams a day typically at 5'6" and 135lbs

Thanks so much for replying! :-)

That's ridiculous. No way are you getting that much Protein. If you're counting grams from shakes, forget it. The body passes most of that right out. I eat less that 4 ounces of meat a day. How many grams? Who cares. If you eat properly you don't need to count that stuff. Think I'm wrong? Plenty of Vegans lead healthy lives.

Too much Protein is definitely not good....I've seen the effects on geratrics in nursing homes where it goes unchecked and they get too much protein...not very pretty.

Having said that, I have always worked out on a empty stomach, (to burn off stored fat), then afterward have a high Protein recovery shake.

Feel great.

Jocks perhaps like the trainers you're talking to, think more protein the better...

Can you picture a 16 year old passing out on the football field?

Or winding up in the ER with kidney failure? 16 years old? It happens.

Edited by B-52

That's ridiculous. No way are you getting that much Protein. If you're counting grams from shakes, forget it. The body passes most of that right out. I eat less that 4 ounces of meat a day. How many grams? Who cares. If you eat properly you don't need to count that stuff. Think I'm wrong? Plenty of Vegans lead healthy lives.

Wait are you talking to me? Saying I'm ridiculous? That I'm not getting 100g of Protein a day?

Who are you to say that??? In that total I include 20g from either one Protein shake or bar a day (I don't agree with you that the body passes most of that out and I have science to support that claim, but feel free to disagree that's what makes the world interesting) the rest is from food.

You may eat less than 4oz of meat a day, great! You may use vegetarian/vegan protein sources, great! You may get a lot less protein a day than I do, great! I am not saying we all need 100g I am just saying that is MY average and it's far from a harmful level (though there def is a harmful level). We are all different and different things work for each of us. Please don't call me ridiculous.

I'm not judging whether you are right or wrong about whether we need to count this stuff. I don't count it most days myself, just once in a while out of curiosity. Most days I eat 3-6oz of lean meat, at least one greek yogert, some cheese, nuts or nut butter, Beans and legumes, and yes one Protein Shake or bar. I eat a varied balanced diet with YES aprox 100g of protein.

I work out a LOT--marathon training (I've run three halfs in 2015 so far), yoga 4-6 hours a week and swimming and bicycling to keep up for my upcoming triathlons. I have 18% body fat. This is what works FOR ME.

To claim you know what is best for everyone, THAT is ridiculous.

I say check with your nutritionist or surgeon. That sounds like a lot BUT depends on how heavy you're training. When I was half marathon training and lifting several days a week I needed it to support all demands on my body. When I'm not training that heavy I try and get in at least 50 per day, which is what my nutritionist told me. Funny thing is I got so full with the band it wouldn't allow me to get that much in some days. Also let your trainer know you have a band.

The average American woman consumes over 70g of Protein and eats about 1900 calories (men it's over 100 and about 2700 cal).

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/80400530/pdf/0506/Table_2_NIF_05.pdf

My guess is when we were obese many of us were eating more than that in Protein grams and calories (Big Mac anyone? 26g protein. Whopper 31g 12" cold cut combo at subway 38g...yeah I am choosing fast food and maybe no one here ate that but the info is easiest to find).

100g is a lot and most people probably don't need that much but it's not in the dangerous range.

Def talk to your nutritionist and doctor. My dr and nutritionist have a range they expect from most people, they have me at a higher level because of my exercise level.

My PA I saw in the past said if you are exercising that you need 80-100 grams of Protein.< /p>