Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel overseas 4 weeks after surgery?

Hello everyone. I am new here (although I've been lurking for a year!) I've gone through all the "hoops" -- blood tests, EKG, psych evals, nutrition and physical therapy meetings, sleep study -- and now I'm just waiting (and praying for) insurance approval. But on top of all the other worries, I have a BIG concern. I will be traveling to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia about 4 weeks after my sleeve surgery. I'll be there for two whole months. My surgeon doesn't see any problem with this. This particular surgeon's plan has people on regular (soft) food at 4 weeks. We also discussed getting up every hour on the plane to walk to avoid blood clots. But I am worried about what I will eat in a strange culture (luckily I like seafood and tofu) with my new stomach. I also worry about fatigue. We will be biking and walking a lot. I am 55 years old if that matters. Lastly, I am worried about having to take clothes in different sizes since I will probably be losing a lot of weight during this time. It's hard to buy new clothes in larger sizes in Asia (even after I lose 50 pounds I will be much bigger than the largest size there.) And how much Protein Powder drinks will I have to pack?

I could possibly wait til after the trip for my surgery, but this would cause serious problems at my job. Plus, I really want to be able to do the biking and hiking on this trip which might be easier if I weigh less. (Last time I flew I was miserable because of my size. The man next to me was so rude I cried. I would not mind being smaller when I fly this time!)

I would appreciate any advice you experienced sleevers might have. Is this a crazy idea? Will I be nauseous from new food and smells all the time? Will I be too fatigued or in pain to walk and bike? Thanks a bunch!

We are the same age. At 4 weeks out, I felt pretty much back to normal. However, I have been lucky and had a very uneventful recovery. It sounds like the overseas dates are firm. If they can be moved out another month, that would not be a bad idea.

I personally would not want to go overseas so soon after surgery, especially as you are just figuring out what you can and can't eat, how much, etc. This is not just a surgery and recovery period, it is a whole new lifestyle.

Good luck in whatever decision you make!

Well, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, the trip cannot be rescheduled. It's now or never. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? How did you feel 4 weeks out? Thanks!

I'm anxious to hear people's thoughts on this, too. I'm hoping to get the surgery the first week in May, but leave for two weeks in Cambodia on May 28 for work. I would love to be thinner for the trip, and don't really want to put the surgery off until August (which is the next time I would be able to take off work). I have all the same questions as you!

@@AngelJoyD, that's such a coincidence! I'm still not officially approved, so I still don't know my date, but if I can do it before the trip, I would like to. Otherwise I have to wait until August, too, and I probably will lose weight while traveling and might not qualify anymore.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing, if I have the surgery beforehand. My doctor's schedule has us on soft foods in week 4, so I'm planning to pack a bunch of those tuna pouches for Protein if I can't find anything else on a given day, and lots of whey Protein packets. I'll get up every hour on the plane, and wear compression socks. My first week of the trip is pretty easy, without a lot of hiking and walking, so if I'm lucky I will be 5 weeks out before I have to start any serious physical effort. I hope I'll be feeling better by then.

I sure would appreciate hearing from other people who've got ideas, advice, or experience.

I understand your concern. I live overseas most of the year. I'm having my surgery here in 2 weeks. I was also concerned about traveling. I don't head back to the U.S. until the end of June. That will give me 2 months to recover since it's a 16 hour nonstop flight. International flights expect passengers to be getting up and walking a lot. I wouldn't be worried about that.

As for what to eat, I suggest preparing now. Make a list of what you'll need and possibly want. Luckily for you, it's only 2 weeks. Check with your airline and confirm the amount of free checked bags you're allowed. A lot of long haul flights allow 2 free bags per person. We use dish barrels when leaving the U.S. You can stuff a lot of things in those boxes and won't be wasting the weight allowance (50lbs normally) on a piece of luggage. Take whatever you can that's non perishable.

I know my "grocery" list will change this year. In the past I've stocked up on things like: Fiber one bars, hamburger helper, tons of taco, chili, and beef stew seasoning mixes, real vanilla, lots of seasoning for cooking, and even velveeta cheese! We can't find these things in our grocery stores or if we do they're ridiculously expensive!!!

So the moral of my long winded reply is to pack up!! If it won't go bad quickly or doesn't need refrigerated then bring it with you. It's extremely frustrating to get to somewhere new and have no idea what and how you're going to eat, especially if you're unfamiliar with the local cuisine.

I am having the surgery in New Zealand (where I am from) and travelling to Russia (where I Live) 3.5 weeks later. My surgeon has no qualms about this and said as long as I can be in touch with how I'm going. She said any problems would be resolved in the first week or two. The clothing issue is impossible to solve. Just take a belt! Your clothing size may not change too drastically in that time and if anything your current wardrobe will just fit you better. Try not to stress :))

Everyone recovers from this surgery at a different pace, but at 7 days post op I was back at work. I credit part of my easy fast recovery to meeting all my Protein and Fluid goals daily. Now at 4 weeks I feel better than I did pre-op. My energy level is higher and more stable without all the carby foods. The walking and biking you will be doing will be beneficial, not detrimental!

I still have 2 Protein drinks daily, but will likely drop to 1 as I incorporate more real Proteins.... Not knowing what your diet/meals options will be, it would be a good idea to take enough to have a second one if you don't get in your Protein goal. Is that something that is available there? If not, definitely take enough Protein Powder. Syntrax nectar makes individual packets and has a large variety of flavors.

Your greatest monthly loss will probably be from the pre-op diet and 1st month post-op. I think I see most people in the under 250lb range lose about 20 lbs... some more and some less. I would think that whatever fits by the time of your trip will fit for several weeks, you might need a size down after that. Sizes don't seem to change as dramatically until you are out of plus sizes... then every 10-15 lbs is a new size! I would probably take some drawstring waist denim and Khaki capris that fit, they would be very versatile and accommodate the weight loss.

Sounds like a great adventure!

Thanks @@liannatx, @@LauraVSGinNZ, and @desertgirl_74. This is all encouraging and helpful. If I'm approved in time (nail biting!) I will have the surgery before the trip. I'll just pack loads of Protein powder and tuna (and as I eat, more room for shopping finds!) I'll also take a 1/4 cup measuring cup. And for clothes, I'll wear elastic waistbands, and take a belt and lots of safety pins.

Don't forget your workout clothes... The real stretchy ones will work for hikes and bikes and are forgiving of size. If they are mid calf I would think cooler for you in a hot climate.

I would bring non melting Protein bars.... Boxes of them with your protein powder.

Best of luck on getting a date for surgery!

Bump...OP, I'm in exactly the same boat, traveling for 2 months 5 weeks out. Here's my post on it: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/338531-intense-travel-5-weeks-post-sleeve-surgery/

Any advice would be so much appreciated. How are you doing?

@@almosttogoal I just replied on your other thread. Alas, my surgery is now delayed until I return from my trip (insurance delays). So, I am just going to enjoy eating all the exotic food (in moderation, of course!) and enjoy the trip. I do worry that I'll lose too much weight, though. We'll be walking and climbing a LOT -- way more than I do at home, although I'm gradually increasing my walking here, too, to get prepared.

Best of luck to you! And keep us posted on your experiences. I'm sure we're not the only ones with this question.

I ended up delaying too. Looks like I will probably (hopefully) start my liquid diet the day after I return from Cambodia, and will have surgery two weeks later. I just knew that I would get too anxious about recovering in time.