Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein from Food or Powder?

Which is better? I am almost 4 weeks out and have discarded shakes for yogurts,cottage cheese and meats. Will this slow my weight loss? Already frustrated as it is. Hate shakes but may have to go back. :(

Actually at 4 weeks my NUT was encouraging me to get my Protein from food rather than shakes. She said as soon as I could get 60 g through food I should drop the shakes completely.

It took me about a week to figure out how to get it in but now it's a rare occasion when I have a shake.

Edited by Debbie Jean

It is preferable to get your Protein from food rather than shakes. For me, I still have shakes for Breakfast sometimes because it is convenient.

My doc encouraged me to get my Protein from real food, not shakes. The shakes made a good source for protein when I wasn't able to eat enough real food, but he said Protein Shakes are missing many of the trace minerals and nutrients you get from eating real food.

Thank you guys so much! This is a relief. It helps to know what I am doing! It is a lot to keep up with and gets overwhelming at times. I appreciate all of you for responding!

I had vsg done on 2.17.15 and im about almost 3 weeks i think post op. Im having trouble with my Protein intake. Can you guys tell me examples of food you guys eat in a day to meet the 60- or 70 grams pf protein ? Its too hard to drink the shakes ....please help!!!

Every morning I have a shake because it's easy and 30g - Premiere Protein chocolate

lunch is usually a yogurt which is 12-15g of protein, they have Dannon Greek lite and fit which is 7g of sugar vs other flavored yogurts or Dannon Triple zero which has 15g of protein. You can add some nuts n more Peanut Butter which has 12-14g of protein per 2 tablespoons. I usually do 1 if I have it because I still can't finish a yogurt unless my shake and lunch are spaced out. For dinner is usually a food protein chicken or fish. I am only 4 weeks out and most days im at 60g or more. Just with a yogurt and shake alone is 45g so then I'm set for the day! A piece of babybel cheese has I think 6g of protein and the wedges has 3. So that's sometimes a easy snack. On days im not on the run I try for eggs hard boiled or scrambled with cheese for lunch and a yogurt as an after dinner snack. I can't get all my protein in without the shake hands down I can't eAt that much yet! ????

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches