Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the slow losers

Given that I was a rapid loser to start with and I've slowed to a crawl (average daily weight loss last 30 days is 0.34lb/day)

Sorry. Pretty hard for me to sympathize with you there! I lost 0.6 pounds last week and 1 pound the week before that. At least the scale is still moving.... occasionally. Just calculated it and over the last month I'm averaging 0.18 per day. My "crawl" is half as fast as yours.... or is it twice as slow?

Hello everyone,

I have not posted in a while. I believe I am a slow loser also. I had surgery March 2014 and I am down 79 lbs. I seem to have been at the same weight for the last month or so. I did not start exercising until Nov 2014, due to my work schedule, now I have no excuse since I am not working right now. I do my Protein, Water, Vitamins but I need to up my exercise days, watch my salt intake, and probably add some strength training. I am due for my follow up with my surgeon but he is 2 hours away and I had to cancel twice due to the snow. I live in Northern NJ, we are in the midst of a storm now. I was starting to feel that this was it for me as far as losing anymore weight. I had to remember this is a tool not a fix. I also had to be grateful that I lost 79 pounds. I want to be under 200's in One-derland as the sleevers say. I also was striving to get into a normal BMI range but maybe that is not practical for me. I will talk to my surgeon and keep pushing to reach my goal.

I've been at the same weight for 3 months+ and still have 50-60 pounds to lose. I know, I know, I know.

There are benefits to slow loss.

Your body needs to reset itself after a significant loss before it will allow more loss.

It is better to have that weight off than on.

However, In 6 1/2 months, I've lost 47 pounds. I'm at a total loss of 60 since pre-surgery. My expectations were way higher than this. Others who had the surgery at the same time are down more than 90 pounds. I so wish I was down 90 pounds as that would put me 10-20 away from my goal.

I'm doing everything right.

I have to keep the faith that it'll happen. And I'm still motivated.

I upped my Protein more than my nut recommended and my scale went down 2 lbs, I'm at 199 today. I've finally hit that all elusive onederland, it's has escaped me for 11 years. Now to see if I continue to lose with the increase in protein.

@@AuriP - Can you share how much you upted it? And are you tracking carbs and fats? If so where do you try to keep them. There's a sweet spot I'm sure the body likes and it looses more when you reach it. My problem is at this point it's all a guessing game as to how much of each I should be eating! Congrats on the loss and fingers crossed it keeps on moving down at a faster pace!

well,

I think I'm a low loser over here. I think a lot depends on how fast you are loosing, start weight, the procedure, start weight, age, your bodies metabolic relationship with crash dieting, how effective your exercise is for your specific needs.

I weigh myself weekly (a watched scale never drops) and I'm 7 weeks out. I only lost .9 pounds this week with a previous average of 2-3.

I've also crash dieted, its the week before my cycle and I'm approaching 40. So, I just decided to Celebrate like a boss my percentage of a pound like I was on Biggest Loser! LOL :)

However, In 6 1/2 months, I've lost 47 pounds.

Sounds like you and I are right on the same pace. I have lost 46.8 pounds since being sleeved on Sept. 1. Hang in there! What else can we do except keep pushing forward?

I upped my Protein more than my nut recommended and my scale went down 2 lbs, I'm at 199 today. I've finally hit that all elusive onederland, it's has escaped me for 11 years. Now to see if I continue to lose with the increase in Protein.< /p>

Congrats on reaching Onederland! What are you up to now protein-wise? My nutritionist wants me to aim for 100 grams and I get that or maybe a bit more most days.

@@JamieLogical

Yes, August 24. The dietician is baffled, too. But, I still feel a lot of restriction. I'm definitely not over-eating, though likely under-eating for my exercise level. Makes me want to scream - "they" always have said, eat less, exercise more - that's the key!! Right! Not!

I'm sure I'm not at 100 g of Protein - almost never. And I'm not eating enough fat. Though, the fun thing is adding and experimenting with coconut oil with a touch of butter for extra deliciousness (when sautéing veg). My dietician says, eat the protein!! But . . . don't I also have to have veg??? I cannot eat meat alone.

I am not eating noodles, bread, crackers, rice, etc. Not because I don't want to (not, really), but they make me feel perfectly awful if/when I do eat them. And they almost never stay in.

Quinoa stays. Cooked veg (all of them) stay. Yay spaghetti squash and acorn squash! I have had potatoes the odd time; I have never really been a fan. And maybe because they are natural as they are, they are tolerated. Or maybe because they are 'something different' when I do have them. But I really don't have them. Protein and veg is my lunch and dinner almost always. Occasional Soups. Protein shake is my Breakfast almost always. I tolerate fish and seafood very, very, very well. Yummy.

Given that I was a rapid loser to start with and I've slowed to a crawl (average daily weight loss last 30 days is 0.34lb/day)

Sorry. Pretty hard for me to sympathize with you there! I lost 0.6 pounds last week and 1 pound the week before that. At least the scale is still moving.... occasionally. Just calculated it and over the last month I'm averaging 0.18 per day. My "crawl" is half as fast as yours.... or is it twice as slow?

I see what you mean but consider this. You had your surgery two months before I did. Not counting the 10 pounds I lost on preop liquids which was Water weight anyway, I've lost 37.6% of my excess body fat. Looking at your numbers, it looks like you've lost about 45%. I know you're kinda bummed about being a slow loser and I admire your post I've seen around about accepting that about yourself and making the most of your journey. But when you look at how many pounds people have lost alone, it's easy to lose sight of the overall picture. I know you know the saying, the more you have to lose, the faster you lose. I had a lot more than you to lose and now I'm closer to where you started and it's slowing down.

So maybe instead of looking at being a slow loser because the pounds aren't adding up, we should start looking at where our percentage of excess body fat is compared to where we started.

LOL look at it this way, would you rather be a slow loser with only 34 pounds to go or a faster loser like me with 90 pounds to go?

**UPDATE**

As someone said above, a watched scale never moves. But until this completely horrible, rotten stall was over, I was watching. Well, as of this morning, I'm down 2lbs. Granted, I may not lose any more this month, but the scale MOVED ;)

My sister, who is on Weight Watchers and losing FASTER than me, recommended I cut out some of the strength training for a while and just concentrate on cardio. She also told me to try a little more fruit. Well, after 4 days of cardio and upping my fruit intake a little (along with my calories), it seemed to do the trick. Or my body just said "I give up!". Either way, I'll take it. :D

I love this thread so much. Makes me not feel so alone in my slow loserness. I know my grown kids, my husband and my sisters get tired of hearing it. It's nice to commiserate with others who understand. Keep on keepin' on, slow losers!

I am a slow loser too and I am very, very frustrated. *sigh*

@@AuriP - Can you share how much you upted it? And are you tracking carbs and fats? If so where do you try to keep them. There's a sweet spot I'm sure the body likes and it looses more when you reach it. My problem is at this point it's all a guessing game as to how much of each I should be eating! Congrats on the loss and fingers crossed it keeps on moving down at a faster pace!

My nut always wanted me to stay at 60 mg but that wasn't happeneing. I started using supplements and using those getting my 60 required, then whatever I eat is bonus, so maybe up to 90 or so grams. I don't eat much in the way of fat so I don't track that like I should, I do know I stay within the recommended for my fitness pals 1200 calorie diet.

My dietician says, eat the protein!! But . . . don't I also have to have veg??? I cannot eat meat alone.

I'm not eating any veggies. I was never a big fan before, so I don't miss them and I supplement to high heaven to make up for the lack of them. But there is simply NO WAY I could have room for them and still get my 100 grams of Protein in. As it is, I am already eating 6 times a day to get in all my Protein. If I were to try to make room for veggies in there, I would definitely miss out on some protein.