Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 10 days post op and I have had nothing but regret this whole time. I was in so much pain after the surgery and I'm still hurting now. I can't sleep and am tired all the time. I have lost 14 pounds and I'm happy about that. But my mindset right now is just regret so much so that I keep looking up reversals!!!! It's craziness! My husband is super supportive and helps me feel better but everyday the same feeling keeps creeping back in. I hope this will pass soon. Another issue I'm going through is mourning food. I know this for my health and I keep telling myself that. I'm afraid I'll never be able to enjoy any of my favorite foods again. I don't want to go hog wild on them. Just every once in a while. And that thinking leads me back to the regret. It's a vicious cycle. I'm going to call my therapist tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone else has been through this.

I didn't however many others posts I've read have. It's usually temporary. And in the beginning.

I think you're doing the right thing seeing your therapist. This isn't a cure it's a long process and we each have to deal with it in our own way.

I wish you the best. I have utmost faith you will look back 6 months from now and say it was the best decision.

I'm sorry you are struggling, you are not alone. I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op and didn't experience much pain. But I'm a lap band to bypass revision patient and I did have pain with the removal of the lap band, it stinks, but it is temporary. Pain contributes to feelings of depression. I was extremely exhausted and had some serious brain fog that I contribute to the effects of anesthesia. In fact, I still don't feel 100 % in those areas, but I keep reminding myself that too will pass. I can really relate to the regret, my doctor says no spicy food for six months and I keep wanting some Sriracha or jalapenos. He also said no rice for 5 years and I don't even like rice, but I mourn that too. I think all of these feelings are normal, part of the mental battle that the surgery forces us to face.

I had a lot of regrets after surgery too. now that Im three months out I no longer feel that way. it was very hard at first but it does get better. I promise it does. Hang in there and try to remember this pain is temporary. I attend a monthly support group that helps a lot . it helps to talk to other people going thru the same thing. its also good to talk to the ones who are a year or more out. I encourage you to see if there is a group you could attend. mine is thru my insurance company.

I had my sleeve done on February 12, and all I feel is regret. It makes me so sad to think about what I've done to myself. I am full of worry all the time and feel like i am going to have anxiety attacks daily. I worry about freaking out, I just feel ashamed of making this decision. They say it will get better but right now I can't see how.

These are all normal feelings, it's a major life change and our emotions are all over the place. As you heal and get your energy back you will start to feel differently.

food has been a huge part of our lives and it still will be just in a different healthier way but you will more than likely be able to eat the things you love again just in small controlled way.

It kinda reminded me of giving birth during labor I was like no way never again than you forget that pain because your enjoying your gift.

It will get better

Thank you for all the support. I do feel a little better now that I can eat soft foods. I'm not crying my eyes out everyday. I go back to work on Monday and I'm anxious about it. How do I fit in all the things I need and get my work done? I'm sure I will get into a rhythm. Everything feels different too. I have to re-learn how my body processes and digests food. It's a battle. I can't turn back now. I'm ready to be on the maintenance phase.

Suspend all decisions until the 6 month mark. At least that's what I decided to do. I had significant pain after surgery and i still spit up if something hits wrong and I'm eating to fast. Sometimes I have morning sickness. Sometimes I just wanna eat cheeze-its. I do feel like things are getting back to normal. I'm back at work. Give it time. Things will get better. This too shall pass.

Everything gets easier as time passes. Before you know it,all your surgical pain will be gone, then slowly your energy levels will increase and you will start to feel better. Mourning food happens to a lot of us. I had times where I was sad thinking about certain foods, but it will pass. Also, as time goes by and your stomach heals you will be able to eat almost anything- just in moderation. I am eight months out and I can enjoy a wide variety of foods and never feel deprived. I even have occasionally days where I eat chocolate, a cookie, etc. I just make sure I count my calories, Protein, and carbs. Also, the sheer joy of having lost so much weight begins to outweigh any hold that food has on you. Hang in there- you can do it!!

Today I went to mental health and they put me on meds to help with my obsessive worrying. I worry that I have ruined my body, what if it pops open, what if I get sick and I can't get anything in or keep it down, what if I die, what if my husband dies, etc. It has been a rollercoaster. I don't have pain and I don't mind to small portions I don't like that I feel different and my family can sense that I am freaking out. It's horrible, if I knew that I would feel so much regret , guilt, and shame wouldn't have done this. I don't like feeling anxiety and tension.

You are not alone! I'm 4 days post op and sometimes I wonder what the hell did I get myself into? Logically, I DO know, but today was my worst day. Luckily, I don't have a lot of pain, but I have a drain and its freaking me out. I took a shower for the first time today and I hate feeling so vulnerable and needy. I'm very lucky, my husband has been amazing, a real trooper. I'm just feeling sorry for myself and have been struggling to get all my Protein, liquids, meds, and Vitamins in each day. With my husband's help, we came up with a chart to help me with my daily intake. He thought that might help me see how much I am getting in rather than focusing on what I may be missing. *just take a breath* I tell myself, one step, one day at a time. Thanks for listening.

The regret feeling is VERY common!!! I was banded in 2004 and experienced it severely. It went away after about a month. Then after an infection led to band removal and rny gb - even though I'd been through it before - I felt it again after the second surgery. Went away within three days the second time though. Reach out to the doctor's office. My doctor's staff is well aware of this issue and helps post op patients with it daily!!

Thank you everyone!!! Time really does help. For the first time in three weeks I don't feel regret. I'm not emotional. I feel like I am getting use to the way my new stomach feels. I have had all good results so far. My husband was amazing throughout all of this. And your words helped me tremendously.

Evening hcruce, I had surgery on the 22nd Of March 2015 {Gastric Bypass} and a few days later I found myself crying and crying wondering if I had made the right choice. I also went on lined and looked up reversal surgery. I'm glad that I'm not the ONLY one whom has done this. I'm very glad that I joinded this group today has it is really helping me out. Have a beautiful evening. Prada

I went through this also. But in my heart I knew that, for me, the importance of losing weight and getting healthier far outweighed the importance of being able to eat the way I used to. Once you get past the pain of the surgery, are eating regular foods, and have lost some significant weight, I think you'll feel different. I still have some not so good days, learning what foods I can and cannot tolerate (at only 3.5 months post-op), but I know that in time it will get better. And I am almost 100 lbs. lighter than I was a year ago (lost 30 lbs during 6 mo of dietician visits), and that feels like a miracle and a dream come true! Hang in there, follow your doctor's instructions, and you, too, will get there.