Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise - what do you do 1 month out

Hey guys,

I'm nearly 1 month out now, and I've lost 26 pounds which I'm really over the moon with.

I am really struggling with energy though, and am not exercising.

I don't know if this is normal?!

What exercise were you doing a month out?

Is this a mental block on me with the energy, or should I be getting more calories in?

I have 3 meals a day, a yogurt in morning, a Soup at lunch and something puréed at dinner, plus a Protein Shake.

I've been walking on the treadmill at home. I was set back with a gout flareup though and have taken a week off. I was just cleared this week for going back to the gym and working with weights. As soon as my foot clears up, I'll be back at the gym!

I did go through that as well in the beginning. I finally decided to increase my exercise to help build stamina. For me it really worked and that tired feeling went away. I did have to ensure I drank my 30gram Protein Shake right before my work out. I do 20 minutes on an elliptical and 20 minutes on the treadmill. Sometimes I increase the time if I am feeling good enough. I started this at 6 weeks post op.

I was told no strenuous exercise for the first six weeks. My husband and I decided the whole family will join the gym together--I've got another week or so to get that together!

I started back at the gym a week after surgery and get in an hour of cardio 5-6 days per week. BUT - and this is a big BUT - I did not go back to work until the 6 week mark. Thus, my ONLY physical activity was going to the gym, and it did take a lot out of me.

I am grateful for having taken so much time off, however, as it allowed me to make the gym habit happen and still build up enough stamina to go back to work. I went back last Monday and was able to do that plus continue at the gym - my biggest fear was that I would stop working out as soon as I went back to work.

For me, a huge part of increasing my energy was exceeding my Water and Protein goals. As soon as I could reliably hit my 60g Protein goal, they said to try for 70g or 80g. Same with Water - as soon as I could get in 64 oz, they said go for 80 oz. And they said I could have a cup of coffee each morning if I can get to 100 oz, so I'm working on that. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches