Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've done it!!! It's booked, oh my God.....

Ok! I went along with my Hubby today to meet with Dr Yau. My Husband was sooooooo against me being banded, I cannot tell you. Well, I don;t know how but after meeting with Dr Yau and Kathy he agreed and we booked it there and then for the 15th June 11am. This is every penny we have, I cannot believe how lucky I am to have the love of such a wonderful man. Do you know what he said when we came out, I just want you to be happy and for you to see what I see when I look at you, which a beautiful woman inside and out!

I'm very nervous and excited at the same time. I have a few concerns. I noticed I will be on a clear Fluid diet for 4 days followed by 10 days on full fluid, followed by puree food!!!!! My question is HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO THIS? Don't you feel hungry after the surgery? If I could not eat for 32 days I wouldn't need a band!!!! I was told it wasn't filled until 6 weeks after, so for the first 6 weeks am I going to be starving? Please some pro bander out there help me. Also is there any other tipo I may need to know about that might help me.

:rolleyes:rolleyesXXXX

Congratulations Jetlagjane!!

I'm no pro as my surgery is tomorrow but let me tell you that you won't find a better support group than all the wonderful people on this board. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful husband and partner and he is right we cannot forget that inside we are all beautiful people waiting to come out! As for the diet, I hated it, had many major downfalls and still managed to lose some weight. You will find Jill to be very supportive and she will give you options so that you don't end up choking on the cottage cheese at the end of the 14 days. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Jane, congrats on the surgery date!!!

And to answer your question, you just DO IT! I've come to the conclusion that I can do ANYTHING if I know that at the end I'll be healthier and will have a marvelous tool to help me in my journey. It's only a couple of weeks out of your life. You CAN do this!

Congratulations! I had my surgery April 14th and I've lost 25 pounds. I thought the same thing about the after diet. However, I was never hungry. For the first 4 weeks I had to make myself eat and drink. You can do this!!!! You'll be so happy you did. Granted the first couple of weeks take some getting use to but it's worth it in the end. I'd do it all over again if need be.

Hi Jetlagjane

I soo thought they same thing. I am on day 10 of my preop and have lost 8 so far. I started thinking "wow i do have some self disclipine why do I need a band?".....then it all came flooding back that I have tried a million diets and I always fell off the wagon. I am only eating this lovely yogurt and cottage cheese and chicken breast bc there is no option. Its not even a thought for a second about cheating. You keep it in ur ehad that the whole thing could be called off and ur money down the toliet.

But I kinda am at the gagging stage of this pre op diet. I am finding I would rather just not eat which is also not good. Perhaps a call to Jill tommorow, or will tough through it!

Yeah miranda, i know what you mean. I pretty much didnt eat after day 2. Because thinking of yogurt and cottage cheese made me gag. I used to eat plenty of yogurt, but it seems because i was forced to eat it in the diet, now after a month i still don't want to think of eating it.

I think the worst was those joke comments, oh since you are following this diet so well, you could do it without the band. But in reality, the ONLY reason i was so dedicated to the preop diet was because you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Usually i would give up because i wouldnt see any changes. But yeah, preop is the worst.

But in reality, the ONLY reason i was so dedicated to the preop diet was because you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. QUOTE]

I so agree with robgoblin - it was because of that light that I was able to endure the preop and postop diet stages. It was wonderful knowing that help was at hand and that this current struggle wasn't in vain.

Congratulations on your date. I have been extremely happy with my experience at the TLBC.

Alex

Lets face it...we all like to eat or we wouldn't be here. I was not sure how I was going to get through it too but let me tell ya, you get a different mind set with the band. I had alot of gas and I didn't feel like eating at all. You will look at food different and it will not be hard to do the post op diet. I did not know how in the hell I would go with out a diet coke again. I was so worried because that was my favorite thing. But I have not had one and really don't want one. So let me just say that after the band things will be different and better!! Good Luck!

Hi Connie and Rob!

Its so so funny Connie how you said that about diet coke. I have thought the excat same thing. I was like "ok do how do we work this in?" So just so I know diet pop is like right off the table?

Another question actually...I was reading about the clear fluids. They said have Isopure. What is that? Is there another option. Today I bought Ensure and a Life meal replacment drink. Would Boost be the same as Isopure? So much to know!

I am on day 11...2 more days to go!!! its going to suck on Thursday. My surgery is not till 1:00pm and I cant have anything to eat or drink that day. Its going to be rough.

Overall though I feel full of energy and seem more happy the last week which is weird as I hardly eat anything.

Pretty happy how things are right now. Maybe I wont get the surgery after all....JOKE :welldoneclap:

You should try to get the Isopure - because it is a "clear fluid" that you need for the first part of the postop diet.

I bought it at Nutrition House at Yorkdale Mall. It's iwas in the refrigerated section, and looks like orange pop. Comes in different flavours apparently. GNC should have it or the kind of store that sells Vitamins, bodybuilding and weightloss supplements.

Make sure you check the expiration date. The clerk happened to notice it, and I didn't even think to check.

congrats on booking your surgery. You will love it! I too was not even hungry after surgery, Had to force myself to drink Water and the liquid part. I found it toughest once I hit the puree stage. Just be careful as this is the healing stage.

Diet Coke? I was an addict, had my first one for Breakfast, and didn't quit all day. I quit cold turkey after my surgery (I did sneak some in the pre-op diet). The carbonation is not good for the band. However, at the bash, it was amazing how many people were drinking pop. I think they try to emphasize not to do it too often. Actually when I had my first one post-op (it was at least 5 months post) it didn't taste the same, and I could not even drink the whole pop.

Good luck with your journey...

You should try to get the Isopure - because it is a "clear fluid" that you need for the first part of the postop diet.

Isopure isn't "required" for the post-op...it is merely one of the many suggestions for the clear Fluid stage....any clear Fluid will do...(ie. gatorade, propel etc).

Congratulations, Jetlag. :clap2: I was banded by Dr. Yau last Sept and I found the post op diet fairly easy to get through. The trick is to eat many mini-meals during that period when you are on fluids and on purees. This doesn't stress out your new stomach and yet you have the sense that you are constantly eating. I would have Breakfast, a little snack, lunch, another petit snack, dinner, and then a final small snack. This meant I was taking in a lot of small, light, and low calorie meals.

When it came to the time of full liquids I bought Gardenay Soups. I figured I was worth it. Because I don't have much of a sweet tooth I substituted tzatziki for the fruit flavoured yogurts which TLBC recommends. During the clear Fluid period I drank a lot of broth and apple juice. I had real problems with the Protein Drinks. This is because I actively dislike sweet drinks. I relied heavily on chewable vitamins. I still do. And I used a pill crusher for just about everything else, including the demerol. (This gadget is very useful and you might want to buy yourself one.)

Hello Jetlagjane:

Tomorrow you'll be joining the 'banded' world. Best of luck to you! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and please let us know how you're doing ASAP. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: