Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought I would share this idea

post-245243-0-80471600-1423443045_thumb.png

This is by no means MY idea but I am hoping it is one that will work out for me once I get to puree and mushies.

So I am freezing some chopped up chicken in gravy, green Beans, mashed potato and mashed rutabaga in little ice cube trays.

Hoping they will pop out intact once frozen and I can put them into ziplock bags for grabbing one at a time as needed.

If they pop out well I may do this with some other things before I start pre op diet in 1 week.

I want to have no excuses and as little worry as possible in the first few weeks/months.

Edited by minniegirl

Sounds great. My only suggestion would be to separate the chicken and gravy and freeze individually. Something about the freezing process can sometimes change the texture. I also don't cook my green Beans before freezing. I find they get too mushy when thawed to cook.

I think it's a great idea too! I might freeze a few things separately as well just so you can try each food individually first to be sure you can tolerate each one on its own before you eat them together. It's really interesting what things your new tummy won't like after surgery. I always hated iceberg lettuce and made salads with any other lettuce but that... now its the only kind that doesn't upset my stomach. Weird huh? It's great that you're thinking and planning ahead! :)

I thought about that too! Especially when I have to do the full liquid diet post-op. I was thinking of freezing fat-free cream Soup in an ice cube tray so that it will be portioned about right for meals.

I've seen individual frozen bags containing all the stuff for smoothies including Protein Powder. Freeze cubes of greek yogurt separately and add to bags. Grab blend go.

Awesome idea

I have my apt with my surgeon on March 2 which is right around the corner . I have already been to the information session which was great. .. but does anyone have any suggestions on questions I need to ask during this one on one . I'm so excited but nervous at the same time. I really want to be well prepared .

@@p3aCH3s - ask questions that are important to you. I specifically asked about plant based diets since I am a vegetarian. I also made them aware of my many food and medicine allergies to make sure that they could work around that. I also informed them that I preferred no blood transfusion in case of emergencies. My surgeon was able to ensure that none of these things would be an issue and developed plans to ensure that. I also stated my preferences not to eat heavily processed on imitation foods such as artificial sugars to both my surgeon and my nutritionist. Their willingness to work with me concerning these issues assured me that this was the right team for me.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@@p3aCH3s - ask questions that are important to you. I specifically asked about plant based diets since I am a vegetarian. I also made them aware of my many food and medicine allergies to make sure that they could work around that. I also informed them that I preferred no blood transfusion in case of emergencies. My surgeon was able to ensure that none of these things would be an issue and developed plans to ensure that they would not be an issue. I also stated my preferences not to eat heavily processed on imitation foods such as artificial sugars to both my surgeon and my nutritionist. Their willingness to work with me concerning these issue assured me that this was the right team for me.

Thank you so much !

I also did this with a nice beef stew and I made a very mild chili and froze about 28 cubes of that as well.