Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lady are you trying to kill me!

I know the lady meant well, I'm not even mad at her, but I stopped at one of my favorite stores today, which is a discount food store, it's outdated food but it's still good, I buy mostly coffee and some cleaners, toilet paper, they have good Protein bars etc. and for my husband when your done shopping there is bakery bread a couple days old but it's good and with every purchase you can pick out the bread you want, anyhow I get home, and there are these rasberry filled pastries in my bag, glazed and white sugar coated, I tried to give them to my MIL but she is on her own diet, so that being said I hope the neighbors german shephard don't get sick, but they shouldn't let him run free if they don't want him eating rasberry filled pastries either. :)

lol

I know the lady meant well, I'm not even mad at her, but I stopped at one of my favorite stores today, which is a discount food store, it's outdated food but it's still good, I buy mostly coffee and some cleaners, toilet paper, they have good Protein bars etc. and for my husband when your done shopping there is bakery bread a couple days old but it's good and with every purchase you can pick out the bread you want, anyhow I get home, and there are these rasberry filled pastries in my bag, glazed and white sugar coated, I tried to give them to my MIL but she is on her own diet, so that being said I hope the neighbors german shephard don't get sick, but they shouldn't let him run free if they don't want him eating rasberry filled pastries either. :)

I think you have the same mind set that a lot of us have. That is, don't waste food!

I've had a huge struggle with throwing away leftovers because I know they won't get eaten. I give some of the healthier stuff to my dogs. I had a dog put down before because of diabetes from being overweight so I try to keep my dogs healthy and not let them have junk.

To do that, sometimes I just have to throw stuff away and fight with my brain to acknowledge that it's OK. You could have thrown the pastries away. I'm not disagreeing with you or saying you did wrong, just pointing out another option.

And I realize you weren't even asking for advice or opinions but I think it's an important topic that we all have to address at some point. It's ok to throw it away. It doesn't have to be eaten by someone. My husband is pushing this as well because he doesn't want to be stuck in the position of gaining weight because he eats my leftovers. He has never been over weight and doesn't want to start now.

Otherwise, I got a good chuckle out of your story. Good Luck!

Well, it's like I said, the dog is allowed to roam the neighborhood tearing up stuff and had I put my garbage out with pastries in it, he would have tried to get to it anyways, don't worry this dog gets plenty of exercise, chasing his owner's tractor all over the place, he probably can work it off better than I can.

lmsao (s=smaller)

@ amponder I am still laughing. My fur babies are jealous of the german shephard and want to visit you on market day! Lol

throwing food out is my biggest struggle.. I was raised in a household of no waste. My mother lived through the depression and to her it was a huge sin to throw food out. We had to clean our plates no matter what. She saved little bits of vegetables and meat for weeks and then we had vegetable Soup. Thanksgiving was big . she saved every scrap of food and made turkey hash, turkey Soup, turkey and anything. so when I have to throw anything out it reminds me of her and how much she would hate it. I try to eat leftovers but don't find them to do well with my band. I order small portions when I can if we go out. My husband is not a big leftover fan either so if I make anything like a stew or spaghetti I have the kids over or send it to their house. I love your pastry story though and my dog would enjoy those but I don't feed him anything human. my vet says it's a big no no. Our dogs we grew up with could eat anything .

Anyone know if insurance approves the Sleeve for dogs? We may have our first Vertical Sleeve dog if you keep getting all this free food and sharing it with him. :P

We could call him.... Frankenshepard.

Edited by joatsaint

LOL okay I am going to clear something up just in case I've given everyone the impression I'm trying to make my neighbors dog obese, the pastries were free, I would never feed something like that to a dog on a regular everyday basis I have an indoor dog myself named Pepper, he is half blue tick beagle and half jack russell terrier and if he gets any table scraps at all it is usually just scrambled eggs from my kids Breakfast. We actually don't produce a lot of leftovers we are a family of 5 with a 13 year old boy going on 14 who plays football and is into weightlifting and I kid you not always hungry. My husband brought home a free ham from work the other day and that's the 1st time in a while I re purposed food, I cubed it up and made some potatoe Soup with what was left. I just want everyone to know I'm not out to hurt this poor dog I just didn't want those sweets home alone with me in the house and the dog just happened to be in my front yard, he lives a good mile from my house, my 13 year old might of ate them but he is spending a week with an aunt while his uncle is in New York, he has to help her reach things as she has an artificial hip and can't stand for long periods at a time.

Just wanted to say I was never under the impression you were overfeeding a dog. If a dog is loose in the neighborhood, he's eating anything and everything he runs across. I've found that when it comes to food, all a dog wants is MORE! Please take my posts the way they were meant to be read, as comic relief. :-)

LOL okay I am going to clear something up just in case I've given everyone the impression I'm trying to make my neighbors dog obese, the pastries were free, I would never feed something like that to a dog on a regular everyday basis I have an indoor dog myself named Pepper, he is half blue tick beagle and half jack russell terrier and if he gets any table scraps at all it is usually just scrambled eggs from my kids Breakfast. We actually don't produce a lot of leftovers we are a family of 5 with a 13 year old boy going on 14 who plays football and is into weightlifting and I kid you not always hungry. My husband brought home a free ham from work the other day and that's the 1st time in a while I re purposed food, I cubed it up and made some potatoe Soup with what was left. I just want everyone to know I'm not out to hurt this poor dog I just didn't want those sweets home alone with me in the house and the dog just happened to be in my front yard, he lives a good mile from my house, my 13 year old might of ate them but he is spending a week with an aunt while his uncle is in New York, he has to help her reach things as she has an artificial hip and can't stand for long periods at a time.

HAHAHAHAHA I'm seriously laughing out loud at this. @@amponder We truly don't believe you're an evil mastermind bent on turning the dogs of the world obese :)

@joatsaint...Frankenshepard.......OMG that's funny

I know my dogs will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. As a matter of fact, I just purchased a new cpap mask because one of the dogs snuck into the bedroom yesterday and just had to try it out :)

@@joatsaint, my Dad didn't like loose dogs crapping in the yard, so he sprinkled chocolate Ex-Lax on the lawn. They stopped coming around(!)

Oh my! I love raspberry filled iced donuts! My absolute favorite! I haven't had one in about 7 mths or so. I was going to have one for my birthday last month. I planned for it. Dreamed of it! Then on my birthday I decided not to do it. Well I ended up swinging through Tim Hortons for coffee...my once a week treat when my son has a basketball game... and got a a cheap glazed donut thinking "hey its my birthday!" ....went with a regular donut because I was afraid I would start a new habit of rewarding myself with my all time favorite. Well....I took one small bite of the glazed donut and gave the rest to my son. The guilt still got to me! And it wasn't as good as the raspberry one anyway. I'm not so sure I would have done the same thing with a raspberry filled one! I like to think that if those glorious raspberry filled donuts ended up in my house I would have the courage to toss them to the neighbors dog!

Good for you! In my mind you win the gold medal for will power and determination!

I'm still dreaming of that stupid donut ;) And I still....like an idiot....get my coffee before the basketball game just to torture myself as I go through the drive thru!

Edited by Bobby46

I love you people.