Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon has advised that I take 4 weeks off work after having the sleeve. I asked her if 2 weeks would be enough and she told me it was not. My company only allows for 2 weeks of sick leave. These dates cannot be carried over from year to year, so I'm stuck with just 2 weeks of recuperation. I live a 10 minute drive from the office, sit at a desk all day, and my office has a fully stocked kitchen and a wellness room with a sofa. Oh, and my mom is at my office with me :) I could also probably leave early during week 3, if need be. Do you think this will be sufficient? How long were you out after having the procedure? I see that some folks have taken only a few days, and others 6 weeks. I'm trying to gauge how I would fair. I'm 43, in decent shape (apart from the weight), no co-morbidities, basically in good health. Thanks in advance!

@ Of course, everyone's different, but I had bypass 6 days ago - I work at home (I'm a writer/reporter)... Had surgery Thursday; Thurs night/Fri night in hospital; discharged Sat about noon. Took it very easy Sat/Sun, Mon worked at computer a couple of hours; Tues/yesterday, worked about 4 hours; today/Wed working about 6 hours or so... I'm doing fine, just get tired much quicker than before surg -- Assuming all goes well, two weeks would seem to be plenty, espec given your situation where you can leave earlier if need by during week three -- but again, everyone's different and your mileage may vary, but that's my happening-right-now experience so far -- best of luck!

I had surgery on Thursday the 11th and returned to work on Monday the 22nd. I could easily have gone back sooner. Realistically, with your work situation, I could have gone back on the 15th.

I was off work for 15 days. Sleeved on September 1 and back to work on the 16th. I wouldn't say it was "easy". My main issue was just fatigue. But, barring any complications, 2 weeks is pretty doable.

I have a desk job, but i do move around the office alot. Had my surgery on a Monday, got home from the hospital on Tuesday, took it easy for the week, and returned to work the following Monday, taking it slow for the first few days. Of course as everyone else is saying, each person is different, but when that Monday came, I was definitely ready to get back to work and back to life...if you are the same as I was, 2 weeks should be enough time for you.

I was sleeved on 1/29 and went back to work for the first time today. I was able to make it 2.5 hours before I came home to rest. The biggest obstacle for me is fatigue. The first couple of weeks you are working to get adequate hydration and Protein. I am planning on going back part time next week and then full time the third week. Like you, I have a desk job that sometimes requires that I am out in the community.

Jennifer

I went back to work after two weeks. For the first two days, I only lasted until about 2 PM and then went home because I was so tired. But I could have stayed if I had had to due to not having paid leave available.

I would think 2 weeks would be fine for you if you don't have any major complications. The toughest part will probably be making sure your hydration and nutritional needs are met. Good luck!

I was sleeved October 10 and went back to work November 3. My surgeon originally said 6 weeks on my FMLA paperwork but at my two week follow-up, I begged him to let me go back to work earlier than 6 weeks. I explained that I live 9 blocks from work and can go home if needed and I sit at a desk 99% of my day. He agreed but it took some convincing.

I was sleeved October 10 and went back to work November 3. My surgeon originally said 6 weeks on my FMLA paperwork but at my two week follow-up, I begged him to let me go back to work earlier than 6 weeks. I explained that I live 9 blocks from work and can go home if needed and I sit at a desk 99% of my day. He agreed but it took some convincing.

6 weeks for this surgery seems very excessive, assuming no complications. I was only scheduled to be out for 4 weeks with my plastics and that was WAY more major surgery.

I was sleeved on the 29th and I will be returning to work tomorrow, one week later. I physically feel ok, but I am prepared for some fatigue!

My company only allows for 2 weeks of sick leave. These dates cannot be carried over from year to year

Your company's policy is most likely illegal, as "use it or lose it" is prohibited in almost every state. http://www.gfrlaw.com/pubs/GordonPubDetail.aspx?xpST=PubDetail&pub=844

I will be sleeved on the 17th and return to work on the 25th!!!! Its all mental baby :*)

I have an IT job. I worked at home days 5 and 6, back in the office day 7. No issues whatsoever. I even started back on my exercise bike day 7. The only thing that makes it difficult is having fluids/protein organized to be able to get in. But its 8:24 AM and I've already had 30 grams of Protein and 35 oz Fluid, so I'm off to a good start. As far as fatigue, its strange that with 500 calories, recent surgery, and way less coffee, I actually feel more alert and energetic during the day.

As has been said many times though, everyone's experience is different.

I was sleeved on the 29th and I will be returning to work tomorrow, one week later. I physically feel ok, but I am prepared for some fatigue!

I plan on going back after a week also. Let me know how you do. Thx!

Thanks so much for all of the replies. This was truly helpful.

I'm going to take 2 weeks, and have let my employer know that I may need to work half days during week 3. I think this will appease my doctor. Honestly, with our having a Water cooler steps away from my desk, I feel like it'll be fairly easy to keep pushing the fluids, and I'm more apt to walk a little bit more if I'm at work, as opposed to if I were lying in bed or on the sofa.