Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day four...the hardest day yet...

I had surgery on Thursday morning in Richmond, VA and returned home (four hours away) on Sunday. I was feeling great right after the surgery. Out of bed two hours after, walking, talking....I felt strong. liquids have not been an issue...they go down easy in small sips. I've had a fair amount of gas that is working its way out in all sorts of interesting ways. My abdomen is sore and looks like I got beat up.

Today was the hardest day by far. I took both Diluadid and Zofran last night and slept fourteen hours without waking up (so uncommon for me). When I did wake up I was nauseous (I imagine this was lack of liquids) and just felt without energy. I felt dizzy, light headed, and like I couldn't do anything. My partner got home from work, made sure I didn't fall over in the shower, and then took me out to walk around Barnes and Noble. We stopped by the local Japenese restaurant and I picked up two containers of miso. This seemed to work like a charm and moved all sorts of gas out of my belly.

I know this is a journey and I keep reminding myself I am at the very very beginning. I am blessed to have an incredible support system. However, I am still terrified of complications. What if I get a leak? What if I die? What if I fail at this like I did lap band?

Has anyone else struggled post-surgery with fear about complications? When is it safe not to worry anymore?

Edited by Jlkhollins

Hi there! It sounds like you are doing exceptionally well. You are probably correct that you were dehydrated after sleeping so long.

In terms of fear post op, I had none. I simply took it one day at a time and stuck hard to the post op diet and exercise plan. People get into trouble when they go off plan.

At 8 weeks I was told that my tummy should be healed inside and that it would be very unlikely at that point to spring a leak.

You just need to take it slow and make sure you get as close to your Protein goals as you can. It is the Protein that heals your wounds.

Good luck and keep on going, you are doing fantastic! You are going to be so happy as the weeks and months go by and you see the fruits of your labor.

I am 8 weeks post op (I had to wait 8 months after lap band removal before RNY) and sounds like you are dealing with the same things. Nausea bad for the first week so just be sure you are not too dehydrated... I had to go to ER after 3 days of not holding down liquids to get IV fluids and checked for leaks. Since then things are good, a bit of fear about dumping and have twice... I was low on energy until last week but it was my 4th major surgery in 8 months so thinking I am doing good. Take care of YOURSELF and just be sure you get in Protein and put the fear behind because fear will not help.

I just came on Friday after getting the revision from lapband to gastric bypass I am so bloated I look like I'm 8 months pregnant! how long does this last? I also have a drainage tube that's coming out of my left side and it is just gross. I'm really excited to start my journey. my concern is really the bloating how long does it take to go away?