Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - A Sincere Plea

<TABLE class=tborder id=post481548 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e9e9e9 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e9e9e9 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e9e9e9 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e9e9e9 0px solid" width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_481548 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e9e9e9 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->

<HR style="COLOR: #e9e9e9" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello everyone,

I have lurked here awhile but was afraid to post my problems as many have had it worse than I have...and I believe one should count their blessings. Now I feel it is the right time to ask for a little advice.

I was banded on the 17th of May. Surgery was quick, recovery was easy and problems were and continue to be minimal BUT I do have two or three issues/questions that my doctor seems to just fob off with a "don't worry" answer.

If someone will address them for me I will be forever grateful.

1. When I swallow most things I feel and hear something like a burp come up inside my esophagus. I am sure many of you recognize this sound. It is like air bubbling back up from the stomach pouch but not quite making it up all the way. It happens every single time I swallow and it doesn't hurt but it is VERY annoying and usually audible to others. Does anyone recognize this phenomenon and is it something that goes away with time?

2. I am getting heartburn now even though I have been heartburn-free on PREVACID for years. I am still taking the PREVACID but the heartburn is a daily thing anyway. Is this also something that gets easier perhaps?

3. Throwing up. I am concerned that if I ever have to vomit that it will not happen normally due to the roadblock of the stomach pouch and I will choke. Is this a foolish concern? Has anyone out there had a post-band vomit incident and has it been the same as before the band?

That's pretty much it. Aside from these issues I am a happy camper. I don't feel any real restriction yet with the band but I suppose after I am back on solid foods I will be a better judge. Seems to me that a banded person can just eat all the soft mushy foods they want without the band getting in the way so I will have to learn to stay away from them as much as possible. Don't want to cheat myself and the band!

Thanks all,

Ross<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ross the only thing I can comment in is the heartburn. I get heartburn if I eat to fast. I don't eat at a snail pace but I did learn to slow down .

Hope you get some more answers.

edie

Ross:

1) I get the gurgly/burp thing too. It is embarassing when around other people, but only ever really noticable when it's a reeeeally quiet meal and no one's talking! I don't get it every time, so... all I can say, is if it doesn't stop, it'll at least be less frequent, and you'll learn to live with it! :phanvan:

2) what I generally understand is that if you're getting heartburn, you're probably too tight. (I look back and see that you're only about 2 weeks out!) Don't let your doctor brush this question off. So, the Prevacid is NOT helping your heartburn like it used to? Or what?

3) So, yeah, you don't want to be vomitting, as I'm sure you know. I didn't think it would be able to happen either, but, a few months ago, I got sick, nauseous, and ended up throwing up everything I tried to get down. Believe me, I was able. I don't know how, but it happened. My stomach must have had to do some crazy manuevers to get that stuff up. It ended up irritating me to the point of not being able to eat, and barely drink, and getting a complete defill. Do yourself a favour and get some Gravol suppositories or prescription anti-nauseant from your doctor.

;)

I agree. I'm thinking your probably too tight and need a slight unfill. I have the gurgling and I think most do. I have never had any acid reflux though even when I had to get a slight unfill but I can sure attest to though that you loose better when your not too tight. I know from experience. Good luck.

well...

1. I have this too, but honestly I barely notice anymore. I think that because our stomachs are now an hourglass shape that we get a bottle effect going on. Fill the bottle and trapped air is forced to come up and out, or down and out, hehe. This is just my theory on why it happens. Oh and mine aren't audible unless no one is talking.

2. Well from what I understand we are not supposed to have heartburn with the band, it is often a sign of being too tight and sometimes of a slipped band. Since your surgery was so recent I would guess that maybe you are just swollen and that is causing you to be really tight at the moment. Your surgeon should be prescribing you an Rx for that, or in your case a new one or a new dose for the time being. If it continues then continue harping about it till your doc listens, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

3. Vomiting is so not fun under any circumstances. I have to admit the idea of getting the flu scares the bejeebies out of me. I can tell you that you really are capable of throwing up. It takes a lot of force to get stuff up past the band and it's better to avoid it altogether by taking anti-nausea medicine. I have heard of people having a slip due to a bad flu so do yourself a big favor and buy the suppositories

Hi Ross,

I was banded on the 21st March 2007. I often have that same gurgling noise but must have got used to it as it either doesn't bother me anymore or doing it less frequently.

I suffered with reflux and heartburn all my adult life but since having the band I've not had a single episode thankfully, guess each person is different.

As far as the throwing up goes, I've only had a few episodes of this and usually it's not really a complete vomit, more like what's in the small stomach froths out. Only 2 times it's come from what feels like my toes lol and I've had no trouble with it getting out.

Not sure if this is any help, please let us know how you go with these issue's. Take care and welcome too by the way ;)

Cheers

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support. I have to question the theory that the band is too tight because I am already able to eat more than I thought I would and I can still drink Water with gusto instead of tiny sips...even now, only two weeks after my surgery. I can imagine that it is probably still swollen in the area though, which would account for the heartburn probably.

Perhaps I just need to ride this wave until it crests and pray hard that it lets me down on peaceful shores.

One thing I notice is that I have lost almost all interest in food. I still get hunger pains but I have lost all motivation to get creative and find the right things to eat. I am also terribly depressed and I don't even know why. Very strange indeed. This surgery is, so far, a mixed bag of curses and blessings. I am glad to have found a nice group of people like yourselves to help me vent off some of the bad mojo.