Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting super anxious about food after w4 postop

Hi all, I am working through my checklist, only 3 things to check off before submitting to the insurance company, and I am having food anxiety issues! I'm worried about what kinds of foods I'll be able to eat. My nutritionist gave me some shake samples and I don't like them at all. I'm not so worried about the broth or baby food, but what does one eat after? What can one eat?

you're going to be using shakes for a long time, so try your best to get used to them. Here's just my opinion, every ready made shake so far I've tried was intolerable by me. Just my opinion. although premier vanilla, was ok'ish it tasted like cake frosting to me, but thats tolerable. if you like, I do video taste tests of many different flavors and products on my blog, at

http://cuttingthefatwithaknife.blogspot.com

I also recommend trying the small individual packs to see what you like. But you will need Protein shakes of some kind if you want to meet your Protein goals. food isn't easy after surgery and some, more so than others. I personally, have come to depend on them for those times when I'm working and just can't take time to cook something. (not that I can cook at work mind you LOL)

Thanks Steve, I'll check out ur blog.

I have never done shakes, not since my surgery and not that I haven't tried, I've tasted many and never gotten past the first sip or two, I just can't stand them, and I've tried so many. I jumped right into regular food ten days after surgery, and had no problem (prime rib to be exact, with a little mashed potato and two brussel sprouts). You have to do what is right for you, I still to this day do not do Protein shakes or shakes of any kind, I wish I could, but I throw them right back up, I hate the taste of them all, and I've tried sooooo many different ones, I finally gave up. Each time someone would say "try this one, it's great" I'd go out buy it and totally GAG on it and that was it. I've tried pre mixed, powder, tasteless ones, everything.. So good luck, but really don't sweat it, you can still do this, where there's a will there's away! It is better if you can do the shakes, but don't let it stop you if you can't.

Edited by Cody's mom

I used Slim Fast High Protein premade shakes (180 calories/20 grams protein). They only come in milk chocolate from what I could find. But they do have a sugar-substitute after taste. I now drink Speciak K Protein Drinks. They don't meet the high protein criteria (190 calories, 10 grams protein), but they are very tasty and come in multiple flavors. I use them for Snacks and the 10 grams protein definitely supplements my food consumption.

Don't worry if you can't find a Protein Shake you like before surgery. First of all,your taste buds may change after surgery which happens to a lot of people. I had lots of Protein Shakes that I loved before surgery and after surgery I dislike them all. They make me nauseous. Depending on your surgeons guidelines for advancing your diet after surgery you might not need to rely on them for long. For example; I only had two weeks of full liquids then was able to advance to soft foods. So I only had to choke down those dreaded Protein shakes for two weeks. I am six months out and rarely drink any protein shakes. I get all my protein from food.

The only one I really like is Syntrax Nectar Sweet chocolate Truffle (23g Protein per scoop 100 cals - Vitamin Shoppe sells single serving packets). Premier tastes ok, but not as good, to me- 30 protein 160 cals from BJ's or costco. Your taste really does change post-op.

Edited by Big_Mama

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input. I'm just really scared. Probably unfounded, I just overthink things sometimes.

Talk to your nutritionist. They should be able to review with you what you will be eating and when. Everyone has a different experience because each program has a different protocol. Mine was 2 week stages. 2 weeks of All Liquids, 2 weeks of Purees, 2 weeks of Soft Foods and then regular food as tolerated. I eat probably 75% regular food now. I still do a shake in the morning but it's to get food in me before my morning workout and also to ensure I hit my Protein goals.

Edited by BLERDgirl

There may be people who will yell at this advice, but when I had a shake that I didn't like and I still had a tub of it left, I added some banana to the blender. It made SUCH a difference. Yes, you're not supposed to have it right away, but it made the difference some days between me getting my Protein in and not. 2 months out now and I don't use shakes any more.

@@jessiquoi - I was allowed fruit even at my all liquid phase. My only concern with bananas are that they are high in sugar. I think a half a banana is probably okay. I personally hate bananas so that wouldn't work for me.

What kind of food do you eat once able to eat normally again? I have a friend who had bypass about 10 years ago and she can't tolerate any beef.

@@elladvyne - I'm a vegetarian so I don't know about beef. I can say however that I am eating everything I ate before surgery now just in smaller portions. I've tolerated every food I've tried with no problems.

Thanks