Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

G'Day Banders...

I was banded in 2010 by a very good Bariatric Surgeon in Australia, Dr Paul Caska.

The preparation on an Optifast packet/powder diet of 900 then 600 calories per day was gruelling (especially as I cut booze and coffee at the same time) was very successful. I lost around 30 lbs in six weeks.

The operation went very well, two nights in hospital and home I went.

The liquid phase went fine with some more weight loss.

Over the next four years, I had minimal success. I visited the surgeon for adjustments and food advice. My weight hovered around 300 lbs. The band restricted my meals sizes but I was hungry between meals. I was still c. 50 lbs lighter than before this journey began, most of the loss occurring in the preparation stage. I was disappointed that the results were not better.

Finally, after me avoiding the surgeon for a while, I went back and laid my cards on the table "I want to get this band working better or it is time to remove it and go for a sleeve". I did not want more surgery and expense but I did want to loose more weight.

The surgeon suggested we use radiography to determine the maximum the band could be adjusted to and check the positioning. We did this. The band was perfectly placed and we did a big tighten.

The next day I could not even swallow fluids. I was at my nephew's graduation from the Police academy and it was a Friday. A hurried trip back to the surgeon saw me arrive just in time to get an emergency adjustment.

The new adjustment worked and I lost 10 lbs. Things seems to loosen again and they made another small tweak.

This was early 2014 and I was off to live in Toronto, Canada for a couple of years. I still felt the band needed adjustment.

Finding someone to maintain the band in Toronto turned out to be a nightmare. Surgeons don't seem to want to work on bands placed by others here. Even though I have a common band that they approve, they want a king's ransom to stab me every now and again. This was very depressing.

Through the Bariatric Pal Forum, I learned of a doctor who would take "stray" patients for band maintenance. Dr Hazrati is wonderful. He made the extra adjustment after doing some checks and the band is working perfectly.

I am now down 88 lbs and have 79 to go. I feel great! I did get a little reflux when the band was tightest, but it seems to have gone.

I am the lightest I have been since 20 years ago. I hope you find your path to a healthier weigh as well.

Thus, I once felt the band was coming out, now I have the band back together :)

Some pics...

The aftermath of the surgery

post-69554-0-30876100-1421427224_thumb.jpg

The scars six weeks later

post-69554-0-12616100-1421427223_thumb.jpg

post-69554-0-77684600-1421427223_thumb.jpg

So glad things are finally working for you. It doesn't make sense to me a surgeon wouldn't want to take a stray patient, I mean money is money, but I'm glad you found a nice one willing to help you.

Great Job! It sounds like everything is working out for you. Congrats!

Congrats! This just goes to show that determination and perseverance pays off! Great job!

Great story! Good illustration of why we should not give up until all avenues are exhausted.

I'm very happy to read this. Hang onto that surgeon with both hands !!!

Oh, and rock on! ????