Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Managing my expectations

Hi! I am new here. So glad to have found this site. I am 2 weeks post surgery and have lost 19 pounds. I know this will not continue at this rate. But everything I read is different. I know it depends on many factors and I have done my research. Unfortunately my brain is my own worst enemy. I have lost weight in the past on my own only to gain it back when I get frustrated by lack of progress. What is realistic to expect in the first few months? I am a 57 year old woman. I have numerous muscular skeletal problems which make exercise difficult. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Hello!

Welcome and congratulations on your surgery! The first thing I would say is STAY OFF THE scale. If you are someone like me who freaks out about every little fluctuation ( and there will be) in your weight, try not to weigh everyday. I know it's fun at first to see the weight steadily coming off, but it does and will slow down and even stall at times. Try to measure your weight loss on how much better you feel or how your clothes are fitting. If you try to compare your weight loss to others, it will cause nothing but frustration. I know. I was considered a lightweight ( believe it or not) and "only" had 85 or 90 to lose, plus I am no spring chicken anymore, so I am considered a slow loser.(See my stats below my profile) Sometimes I would just want to cry seeing others who had surgery the same month losing so much more. But I learned to be happy with my progress and continue to stick with the program and let it happen at my body's own pace, not anyone else's ;) That would be my advice to you. Keep us posted on your progress and keep on keepin' on!

I wasn't a fast loser, so I was only losing 13 or so pounds a month on average. But I was on target for the weight loss speed my doctor wanted me at.

The #1 piece of advice is, expect to hit a stall. Especially the infamous 3rd week stall post-op. Most of us hit it, just stick with your eating and exercise programs and the weight will start dropping again.

I wasn't able to do a lot of exercise the 1st 3 or 4 months. I had lots of problems with my feet hurting if I walked too far. I started off small and just worked my way up. By the 4th month, I was walking a few miles a day.

This is my blog post about my plan to go from 0 to 5 miles per day.

Edited by joatsaint

My advice is don't obsess over the weight. The scale is not your friend. Focus on eating healthy, getting your Proteins and fluids in and finding some form of physical activity to do for 30 minutes each day. I only weigh myself once a t month at the doctors office. If I had a 3 week stall I was blissfully unaware. I am 4 mths out and every appointment has shown a loss.

Wow, thank you so much for all of your responses. I had to smile at the infamous 3 weeks stall... Here I am doing everything right up 1 pound down 1 pound up 1 pound down one pound. Grrr. And yes, I get up and weigh first thing. And I read everything I can find online which has been dead I can expect everything from 10 pounds a week to 10 pounds in a month. It suddenly occurred to me this morning that the surgery did not change the fact that you have to burn more than you consume. Guess a bikini is out for this summer. ????????????

Wow, thank you so much for all of your responses. I had to smile at the infamous 3 weeks stall... Here I am doing everything right up 1 pound down 1 pound up 1 pound down one pound. Grrr. And yes, I get up and weigh first thing. And I read everything I can find online which has been dead I can expect everything from 10 pounds a week to 10 pounds in a month. It suddenly occurred to me this morning that the surgery did not change the fact that you have to burn more than you consume. Guess a bikini is out for this summer. ????????????

Edited by kimmeesue

I am a daily weigher and it worked ok for me and still does. But I did not stress over the number especially on the way down. Not everyone can do that. I stress more about it now that I am in maintenance mode. I lost 135 in about 18 months and am approaching 2 year anniversary.

I will tell you that for the first 10 months the only exercise I did was easy walking 2-3 times a week. I sort of "saved " it for the end when I knew it would get tougher. Sure enough I lost 100lbs in 10 months but was still over 200. I looked and felt great but I really wanted to be under 200 and at 5-10 I had a dream to get to the 170s. A dream I thought would never come true.

At 10 months I started going to the gym. I spent a fortune on 6 months of personal training. I gradually got out of my comfort zone and started spin classes and when PT was up started body pump. I try to go 3-4x a week, 2 spin and 2 body pump. And guess what. Not only did I get to that under 200 but I did get in the 170s. It took about 9 months to lose about 35 lbs. without a new commitment to exercise it would not have happened.

Now others may start the exercise sooner and maybe then it would not take as long. But I wanted to let you know that you can be light n exercise in the beginning and still lose. At some point you may need to add it to get to personal goals. You also may need to add it to prevent muscle loss. I was a real weakling before I added in the training regimen. Now I am not sculpted but at least under the softness there is strength.

Since Sept 1, 2014 (the start of my pre-op diet) I've lost 45 pounds. I was stalled for two months, didn't lose an ounce. I'm 53 years old. Everyone is different, when those stalls happen and it's frustrating, just be happy your not gaining.

My brain is my worst enemy. I tend to overthink everything. In this case I really need to learn to just go with the flow. I do think I will continue to wait everyday just because I need the reassurance that I'm not doing something wrong. I expect the plateaus but I may not like them. I have started exercising on a very small scale as I am not completely healed yet. I have a combination elliptical recumbent bike and a Pilate's bar. I don't work so I can work activity into my day as I please. I am very motivated. I have been open with everyone about my surgery and have received enormous support from friends and family. In other words, I have it all. So now if I can just get out of my head I'm sure I will have success in the long run. It is so nice to be able to share these feelings with people who truly understand.

Now I am really depressed. Everyone talks about NSV. So I took my measurements. OMG! I guess at least now I have a baseline and can look forward to seeing the change. But seeing those measurements was almost worse than seeing the number on the scale.< /p>

@@kimmeesue - Try and breathe. I'm sure you are doing fine. If you've never taken your measurements they may be a bit of a surprise, but wait a month or 2 and take them again. You should see a difference.

Edited by BLERDgirl