Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit My First Stall and It Sucks

I'm 2.5 months out of surgery and have hit my first stall. It is terrible!

How did you break your first stall? Or did you just wait it out?

Thanks!

STEP. AWAY. FROM. THE. scale

It is not your friend and will make you nuts. Work your program and the weight loss will happen.

Honestly, my first stall was from not eating enough...go figure....threw my body into starvation mode.

Agree with @@BLERDgirl, get a measuring tape and tell your scale to 'suck it'.. lol Different things work for different people as far a stalls go. Stay away from carbs, Up your Water, Avoid dairy, up your exercise, depending on your calorie intake sometimes upping those will break your stall choosing healthy options. As long as you are making good choices the stall will break, but unfortunately it can take months although this early out it likely won't. Remember too that until it stops for a good 2-3 weeks it isn't really considered a stall, more a biting annoyance ;) Good luck

I am not suggesting that you do all of the above things, only that the individually listed ideas above are different things that have worked for a large number of sleeve patients that I know, not necessarily in specific combination with one another. These are suggestions to break stalls not to put into place longterm.

Edited by dropdeadweightdiva

That's what comes from getting used to our "right now" modern ways. Don't let the stall get to you. Trust in the "FACT" that if you stick with your program, you will resume losing and you will get to your goal......eventually. As in.....be patient.

Look at is like alot of little triumphs......Each time you're pissed and frustrated when the stalls happen.....but then it feels great to see the weight start coming off again. ;)

I've stuck to only getting weighed at my bariatric follow ups and PCP visits. So, I really only see my weight every 3-4 weeks. It's sometimes more if I'm sick.

I'm actually anxious now about my current weight because I want to know if I've dropped below 200. However, I'm going to hold off until my three month follow up on Thursday. When you don't weigh yourself as often, then you aren't even aware of the stalls. It's not like you can do much about them anyway. Just keep following your plan and it will happen.

I don't avoid dairy at all. I eat cheese and 0% Greek yogurt almost daily. The same thing with fats and carbs. I eat healthy fats and complex carbs regularly. Your body needs these nutrients. I avoid fake, processed foods and sugars that are more challenging for your body to break down and use..

I do the exact same thing as @@WL WARRIOR. I only get weighed once a month, preferably at my f/u appointments. I hit my 4 month mark on the 18th but I'm going in this morning to get IVC filter removed so today will be my weigh in. I'm not sure what I will do next month since my next bariatric follow up won't be until I hit the 6 mth mark. I may go see my primary instead. My point is I don't allow myself to become married to the scale. I take my measurements and simply work really hard following my program and getting adequate exercise.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Stalls are like lovers. Your first will probably not be your last.

My longest stall was four months even though I was still at 800 calories. My doctor told me to eat/drink more dairy (allegedly the extra Calcium helps) and eat some carbs.

So, I upped my dairy, doubled my carbs from 25 grams to 50 grams (which is still not a lot of carbs, but keeps me out of ketosis) and increased my Protein from 80-100 grams, and increased my Water to 100 ounces (most days). This incased my calories to closer to 1000-1200.

Would you believe????? Even though the weight has started moving down slowly....it is moving down again, and I will take that.

And yes, I am exercising and following my plan. I did not gain over the holidays.

I read somewhere that Jillian Michaels recommends upping your caloric intake (can be hard with gastric sleeve!) and stopping exercise for a few days and then switching back to break out of a diet "plateau." Of course she wasn't talking about WLS... but I imagine the reasons for stalling are similar to what she deals with with her clients, so perhaps the solution could also be helpful.