Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I had my gastric bypass 4 weeks ago. I'm doing pretty well, though as we all know, it is an adjustment. I'm working hard to get in my liquids and Protein, and the nutritionist is happy with my progress. I'm trying to walk every day. My problem is that some days I am just absolutely exhausted. I'm not sure exactly why. It could be not enough Protein, or pushing too hard the day before. Has anyone else had this? And how do you cope with it?

Anne

I personally have not been tired, however I really good about taking my Vitamins, if you are taking your vitamins as prescribed, and are still tired, you may be suffering from Anemia and could require extra Iron. Please check with your doctor or nutritionist!

Anne,

I don't know about other folks, but I could barely stay awake for the first two months. I think it was my fault, hardly getting Protein in. So it took longer to recover than usual. They kept me in the hospital for 4 days because I wasn't drinking anything. As a rule, I don't hear much about tiredness lasting as long as mine. Maybe since you are still recovering from major surgery, you are pushing yourself too hard. Try to let up on yourself until you are more fully recovered. You don't need to lose it all in one month you know!

I too struggled with a LOT of exhaustion. I am now six weeks post op and am starting to feel more like myself, deep cleaning my house, walking, and catching up on everything that i felt suffered neglect while I was recovering. I did ask my nutritionist about it when I was last into an appointment and she stated that the extreme changes within the body caused different responses in everyone. She also stated that we essentially are being put into a medically induced and monitored state of starvation and that our bodies are constantly changing which can make us feel more tired while in the stages of recovery. She just stressed (as someone stated above) to stay on top of Vitamins as well as Protein and to write how I feel in my journal with my food and weight so that I could later look back and see trends if it doesn't improve. I did have a lot of trouble sleeping early on after surgery as I am NOT a back sleeper, and that is the only pain-free way to sleep after surgery. Also, before I was able to get in all of my fluids, I felt so dehydrated at night that I would wake several times in the night just to drink. I was so parched that I couldn't sleep! I can now sleep in any position I choose and I am doing great with my fluids so although I still wake for Water at least once a night, it is only once. What a difference I feel. Be patient, I am confident that you will find the cause of your exhaustion and will be back to "normal" in no time. Best of Luck!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and and I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I am very on task about etting my Vitamins every day. I have an app that reminds me! I think it is just what you are saying in that some days my body is just reacting to the lower calories and getting used to things. I hope that it will end soon. Some days are great, and others I just can't get off the couch. I'm keeping a journal to see if I can find any trends that would indicate what it might be, but it might just be adjusting to the new life. The good news is that with the lower calories the weight is coming off :)

My PA said the exhaustion is a result of the energy your body needs to lose weight.