Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is horrible. I guess my first year I will deal with my gout and kidney stones more than usual. I can handle pain. I have an extremely high tolerance. I want to cut my foot off right now. Pain pills are not touching this. I have got to get the swelling down. Any ideas. I've soaked foot in Epson salt and munch on frozen cherries. But I can't walk,sleep anything!!! Why can't I have indomethacin??

I am SOOO sorry for your pain. I don't have any answers for you, but I am praying for you. At least with the sleeve surgery (opposed to the bypass) you should be able to do nsaids down the road (one of the reasons I chose eve, as well). Does icing it help at all? Or on the reverse, how about putting a warming pad around it? I wish I could take it from you. God Bless you!

To get swelling down...elevate your foot so that it is above your heart. Put an ice pack on it for 15-20 minutes, then remove for same amount of time, and continue this off/on pattern.

Sometimes folks put a heat pack on to help alleviate joint pain. Be careful with heat as it has a tendency to increase swelling.m if you do use heat always finish with ice.

Hope this help & you feel better soon !

Edited by ProjectMe

To get swelling down...elevate your foot so that it is above your heart. Put an ice pack on it for 15-20 minutes, then remove for same amount of time, and continue this off/on pattern.

Sometimes folks put a heat pack on to help alleviate joint pain. Be careful with heat as it has a tendency to increase swelling. If you do use heat always finish with ice.

Hope this help & you feel better soon !

Sorry I had to correct. I hate typos!

Edited by ProjectMe

This is horrible. I guess my first year I will deal with my gout and kidney stones more than usual. I can handle pain. I have an extremely high tolerance. I want to cut my foot off right now. Pain pills are not touching this. I have got to get the swelling down. Any ideas. I've soaked foot in Epson salt and munch on frozen cherries. But I can't walk,sleep anything!!! Why can't I have indomethacin??

Because of the irritation they can cause to the GI tract there is a concern that they can cause ulcers. However considering you have both gout and kidney stones you should consult with your doctor. He may approve you taking them under supervision.

I imagine it's too sensitive to put ice or a heating pad on - my sister has gout in one foot and I'm sure that's what she would say :) I don't have any answers, but just don't watch the first "SAW" movie on Netflix or something..... ;)

I imagine it's too sensitive to put ice or a heating pad on - my sister has gout in one foot and I'm sure that's what she would say :) I don't have any answers, but just don't watch the first "SAW" movie on Netflix or something..... ;)

hmm yes I could cut it off right now but I'm so loaded on pain pills... Tomorrow there may be a few regrets. I soaked in Epson salt and elevated above my heart. Ate frozen cherries and cherry juice (taste nasty) but swelling has gone down some. I honestly thought my skin was going to split

I too suffer from gout. Fortunately my medications for my gout work. I take 400 mg of Allopurinol & 0.6 mg of Colchicine every day & haven't had a flare up in about 2 years. What a blessing that's been!! I've had gout in both feet & wrists. Not fun. My doctor put me in one of those "walking" shoes that you can make as tight as you want & for my wrist I used a wrap that went from my fingers to half way up my arm. There is no way I could ever have put heat or ice on my foot. You know yourself that even covering your foot with a bed sheet is almost intolerable. I also take Nabumatone for my arthritis & I believe that's an NSAID. So far I have not had any problems with these medications. I hope this little bit of information helps you. Especially the medications I take. I might also add that I do not eat seafood. I only eat fish such as Cod. There are some other foods you should stay away from because they aggravate your gout but shellfish is the worst. I sure do miss shrimp & crab but it's not worth the pain.

And yes the bed sheet is too much. I honestly would rather break a bone! And this from a cowgirl who's broken many many bones. I will look into the second medication ASAP thank you

I take allopurinol, it works great for me. But that takes several weeks to work.

DO NOT PUT FROZEN OR COLD PACKS ON YOUR GOUT

Gout is from the crystallization of Uric acid and dropping the temp can worsen the flare up by catalyzing crystal formation. Heat feels good to me, but it really just does a tiny bit of good. The most important thing is to take the anti inflammatories regularly even if it doesn't seem to help much. It is helping, and one of the bad things about inflammation is it can be cyclical. More inflammation leads to your body mounting a stronger response which can lead to more inflammation. Usually, the flare ups only last a few days if you pay attention to a low purine diet. Once the flair up subsides, get on some medications, there are almost no side effects.

Also, some doctors will give a shot of cortisone directly into the knuckle. My doc suggested that it wasn't very helpful and is painful to get, but perhaps you could discuss that with your doc too.

Good luck.

I have had it chronic before In the past for 3+ weeks where the gout starts in one part of your foot and the. Moves/spreads to more. I get it all over the foot. Mid foot big toe if there's a joint in my foot I get it. I've tried gout products teas tinctures. Acupuncture. I take allopurinol and miss taking my indomethacin. The swelling is starting to go down thank god so I should be able to sleep!

I think a bad gout attack is the worst pain I've ever been through so I feel for you. Have you looked into eating a low purine diet? It's totally doable in conjunction with our current diets, and it does have some significant influence on gout. Good luck, feel better.

I think a bad gout attack is the worst pain I've ever been through so I feel for you. Have you looked into eating a low purine diet? It's totally doable in conjunction with our current diets, and it does have some significant influence on gout. Good luck, feel better.

Yes I try to live the love purine diet. I called

My surgeon and begged to take an indomethacin and he said one a day!!! The swelling has gone down enough to put weight on my feet!! But the week of eating pain pills has made my kidneys uncomfortable. Let me tell you if I get kidney stones now... I'm gonna pout. Perhaps throw myself to the ground like a three year old who needs a nap. This will all just happen in my head. But ohh I promise it's gonna be a full toddler tantrum. ????????????

I don't have gout, but have a lot of arthritis and had two joint surgeries after my sleeve. I'm also having a hard time with pain control. I am using Tylenol and pain meds sparingly. My issue is that it feels like my body burns through the meds faster? I don't know if I'm not absorbing them well, like if they go thru my sleeve before fully absorbed? I have found that Tramadol has been much better than hydrocodone.