Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any teachers out there? Mixed emotions!

I started my journey in late July and was planning on surgery over my Christmas Break ( I'm a teacher). Due to a rare side effect from medication I had tendonitis in 3 areas and could barely walk. My NUT told me last month that she thinks I'll be cleared for surgery mid to end February depending on PT progress. I was getting super excited and even more motivated. Then I looked at the calendar and realized that surgery would probably be in mid to late March. I hate to use 10-15 sick days this close to summer break when I don't have a lot built up. What would you do? I'm also freaked at the possibility of switching insurance carriers March 1, but that's a different story!

I am a teacher as well. Bariatric surgery is popular among teachers. The teachers at my school are a gossiping bunch, so I told nobody about the surgery. Don't you have a Spring break or an Easter Break? I've seen others use FMLA during their post op recovery time to keep their teaching position in tact. You don't get pay when you do that, however. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

I'm a teacher as well. I put in for two weeks off under FMLA. I will get paid but they will deduct sick days. I think it's well worth it. I had thought about waiting until the summer, but I figure that I can be well on my journey to a healthier me by then!

I'm a teacher too, and I totally suggest that you go for it over spring break! It's only one year that you will be taking that kind of time close to summer. It's for your health. This is a time you need to put yourself first.

I am a third grade teacher. I was supposed to get sleeved last July, and due to a variety of factors (insurance issue, family issues,...), I was unable to have the surgery over the summer. I didn't want to wait another whole year until next summer, so I got sleeved on December 16th. I took four days off prior to Christmas break, and went back to work immediately after break. I have not told anyone at work what kind of surgery I had. I just told my principal that I was having "stomach issues" and needed surgery. When I went back to work following break, the note from the surgeon just said that I had surgery on December 16th and was cleared to go back to work on January 5th.

Personally, I felt that the longer I waited, the more likely I was to convince myself not to have the surgery and try yet another diet, which has never worked in the past. I am nervous by nature, and more time would have meant more worries. Best of luck to you on your journey!

I'm a teacher and am planning on getting sleeved the first week of summer. That way I have plenty of time to learn how to eat and exercise without the added strain of 15 minute lunch breaks, limited access to the bathroom, writing lesson plans, and grading.

As I picture my recuperation from surgery, I can't imagine such a life changing event during the school year. I have plenty of sick days, because I've never had to tap into them before, so that's not an issue. Bottom line is I don't want to leave my students for two weeks and I definitely don't want to write sub plans for two weeks.

That's my plan and my reasons. We're half way through the school year, so we'll see how this all plays out.

I'm a teacher as well and got it last year in July and it was great because I had the entire summer to get better and figure out diet and recover. It took me at least a month to recover....2 weeks wasn't enough for me.

I am a teacher as well (substitute teacher - currently long term in K until Feb.) so I'm not much help. I probably would try to aim for spring break as well. I have told my K teachers and they have all been so supportive. I also told my principal. I wasn't sure I wanted too but it just kind of came out in my convo to him. So it is what it is.

The situation is interesting. Discuss your concerns and situation with your doctor. He may be able to offer alternative options or reconsider the timing of the operation.

Posted (edited)

On 1/8/2015 at 8:40 AM, mchap25 said:

I started my journey in late July and was planning on surgery over my Christmas Break ( I'm a teacher). Due to a rare side effect from medication I had tendonitis in 3 areas and could barely walk. My NUT told me last month that she thinks I'll be cleared for surgery mid to end February depending on PT progress. I was getting super excited and even more motivated. Then I looked at the calendar and realized that surgery would probably be in mid to late March. I hate to use 10-15 sick days this close to summer break when I don't have a lot built up. What would you do? Here you need to talk to the school administration. Explore your options for delaying surgery or having it done at a time that is more convenient for you. Don’t worry about the students, they already use the assignment writing service, they found https://ca.papersowl.com/assignment-writing-help for this, I’m sure. In any case, the operation must be performed. The main thing is that you are heard and understood in what situation you are. I'm also freaked at the possibility of switching insurance carriers March 1, but that's a different story!

Difficult situation. Before making a final decision, find out what financial options you have to cover expenses while on sick leave.

Edited by tomhanks22