Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So have you seen the new weight watchers commercial when the lady is walking all over and everything she sees turns into food, like pizza and donuts... Well I feel like I'm that lady in the commercial. It's not like I was eating a lot of that stuff anyways, but what with the holidays, and the kitchen at my internship is loaded with Cookies and pop and always smells like pizza because there's boxes of leftovers in the fridge.... I've got a pretty good will power but it's breaking down and I'm afraid I'm going to turn into one of the failure stories that you see on A&E... So like yesterday I tore of a dime sized piece of gingerbread cookie and ate it, hoping it would make me sick, and it didn't, tasted real good and I was real tempted to eat the whole cookie, and the same thing happened on Christmas Day when my mom made flan, I ate a tablespoon of it, didn't get sick and took the flan cake to the outside fridge because I wanted a whole slice... Not sure what to do to stop this... And those darn commercials don't help either. What have you done that helps? Why am I not getting sick like I've been warned by my doc and dietician?

Hello Maria I totally understand what you're going through its like my stomach is small but my cravings are still there now I really understand what they meant by this is just a tool and not a cure I've been able to stomach about everything that I thought I wouldn't be able to and I've had my surgery on the 16th of December when did you have your surgery??? the only thing I can't seem to stomach is chocolate but other than that everything else I can

A couple of thoughts... In the first few weeks after surgery, all kinds of stuff is going on inside you, particularly in regards to swelling and unswelling. Stuff gurgles and groans and is gernally uncomfortable. Also, acid reflux can be an issue. If you're not still on it from surgery, ask your doc for some Protonix (Pantoprazole is the generic). That can help a lot. And then, make sure you're getting in enough Fluid. It's hard for a while, but it's even more important than Protein in the first week or two. After that, Protein and fluids can help you stay satisfied. Remember, hunger is often thirst in disguise! Good luck with your journey, and try to stay away from the Cookies and flan. I can sympathize, flan is my favorite thing in the world, and I've tried one small last in the past 7 months.

Hi Maria, I'm in the 4th week out & I'm getting cravings too. I try a few things... one is to have a variety of hard candies (Werthers coffee caramel, rootbeer barrels, butterscotch, Life Savers mints, etc.). Most come in sugar free as well. I've also splurged and bought some things off www.bariatricchoice.com. They have Cookies, biscotti, puddings, chocolate bars, etc. I just had pancakes today which I greatly enjoyed with sugar free Syrup. The chocolate bars can be broken up and I find that just eating 1-2 little squares help. And most of the products (pancakes, pudding, etc.) have 15 grams of Protein as well as low carbs and low/virtually no sugar. I also like pumpkin which can be added to anything - yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, etc. I haven't tried that yet but probably will soon :) All the best!!

@@Joy889 yes the surgery is not the cure... There is no cure really, just learning how to cope with the new changes... And I do think a lot of it now is mental, I just wish I also had the physical adverse reactions to help justify not eating it... I learned quicker from my mom how to justify eating unhealthy food

@rogoflum my Fluid intake ranges from 35-45 ounces a day, still below my target of 64 ... I'm trying real hard and each day my intake get a little better... I've been real good with Protein, ranging from 50-80 a day, so that's pretty good.

I was told with the sleeve you have a 50/50 chance of having digestive issues with sweets. With the bypass they remove part of your small intestines and that's why a majority of bypass patients have issues with sweets. Your small intestines do more digesting than your stomach....which is why with bypass surgery there is malabsorbtion problems when it comes to nutrients. (that's how it was explained to me by my nutritionist....I am no where near an expert with this stuff) I have absolutely no issues with sweets.....I stay away from the real deal and eat fruit, s/f Jello and pudding. If I want something crunchy sweet I have a special K Protein bar or something like that. Nature Valley has some good Protein Bar options too. Unfortunately it is going to take pure will power to step around things and choose wisely. You will find your way :)

You aren't always going to get sick. Especially if it's just a tiny amount. I have yet to eat a food that made me ill. This is the mental part of the process. You have to develop skills and habits to do instead of eating what your shouldn't. If it's a temptation you can't handle, put it away. Better yet don't bring it in your house. If it's on tv, don't watch it. Then decide on what you can do instead of giving into cravings. Even if it's something as simple as wearing a rubber band and snapping it every time you go to eat something you shouldn't have. As you progress further and move back to regular food, you will be fuller and feel more restriction. Early on in the all or mostly liquid phase, yeah you can get some food in your shouldn't.

If it really becomes a problem it may be time for therapy so you can get you head to match what your tummy wants.