Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss stalls

I have lost 25lbs in two weeks after my surgery and it seems as if I have stopped losing weight! What do I need to do to get going again.

I hate stalls! So many posts on this forum about this very thing. I had a four week stall in October followed by my grazing through the holidays. Focus on getting your Protein in, your Water and move if you can. I found exercise to be super helpful icing the darn scale! Good luck!

I hate stalls! So many posts on this forum about this very thing. I had a four week stall in October followed by my grazing through the holidays. Focus on getting your Protein in, your Water and move if you can. I found exercise to be super helpful icing the darn scale! Good luck!

moving the

hey there lenora!

I'm in the same boat. I'm 4 weeks out, and i completely stopped losing weight. I actually gained 2 pounds.

but i'm still barely eating. i'm probably getting in 600 calories, 45 ish grams of Protein and yet the scale is stuck!

i'm hoping at my appt in 2 weeks i can start the gym again and maybe that will help --- but i'm not sure if i even have enough energy for that

I'm in The same boat, lost 24 lbs in the two weeks post op, then stalled for a few days and lost 3 more. I am 4 weeks post op also. I can get my Protein in, but I can't seem to get more than 40-50 ounces of Water each day. I am dog tired, and while I have been blessed not to have vomited yet, I am nauseous after every meal... no matter how slow I eat. I'm not complaining, just concerned... I can't get past my anxiety that this won't work for me, or I will somehow screw it up.

Edited by coastalchick

The 3 week stall is very common for RNY patients. I think it is for sleeve also, but don't quote me on that. For some it comes after just 2 weeks, for others it waits for 4 or 5 weeks after surgery. It seems to be the body's response to the major surgery and then the rapid early weight loss. It can be discouraging, but hang in there. Once your body adjusts, the weight will start coming off again.

Exercise definitely helps getting over stalls. If you're not exercising (or you can't yet), do it as soon as you can. If you are exercising, try changing things up.

It also really helps to log everything you eat during the day. It really helps to make sure you're not eating more than you think you are.

Stay strong! You all can get through this!

There is something known as the 3/4 week stall. The best way to get past it is to stay the course. Get your required Protein, Water and keep moving. The stall will break! I have had several now the longest lasting 4 weeks. It is very frustrating.

My doctors office also told me that sometimes people will linger at a weight they maintained for a while. For me it was 251lbs. I was at that weight for a couple of years and low and behold that was where my one month stall occurred.

Not sure if there is any truth to that.

Here I am at 5 weeks and I'm down 31lbs, and I'm wondering is the normal weightloss for 5 weeks?