Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted to introduce myself

Hello, my name is Tresa. I'm 43. I was banded on 11-12-14. I'm struggling a bit lately. But hope I can find some support and help support others as well!

Welcome.

The first months after surgery are the hardest of all, IMO.

I had this surgery which in itself meant I had the band installed, and should not expect anything to start happening until the adjustments - fills started. And even then it took months to find that right amount of fill, in combination with me getting my head in harmony with this new way of doing things.

Everyone looses weight post surgery...who wouldn't? Band or no band one is restricted to a strict diet starting with Clear liquids then gradually moving up to regular food again. Then one month out people feel they hit a stall or something when in reality they have not even started yet. I was just as anxious and found the first 3-5 months extremely frustrating.

Thought I made a BIG mistake.

But then things began to get easier, and the weight began to steadily come off.

This thing DOES WORK. Just follow your Dr.'s directions, and be patient and understand it is not overnight as with other WLS. The band is adjustable and has to be adjusted...and we have to adjust ourselves, create new habits, to enter into that new lifestyle to the point where it is all 2nd nature.

Hi Tresa, so glad you're here. I have found so much support and information on this site. I was banded in November 2013 and feel great about this last year or so. The beginning, though, can be difficult -- just finding your way, learning to listen to the body, etc. I had to work on behavior modification -- slowing down and chewing, chewing, chewing. All of that kept me pretty occupied and before I knew it I was having the next followup with my surgeon, then the next, and then things really started cruising. For me it was about the fills. Best wishes!

Thank you so much! Your comments make me feel normal again! I called yesterday and told the nurse I've been feeling hungry and eating more. My doctor said it sounds like I need an adjustment. I'm having issues drinking with meals! That is a hard habit to break! I do need to eat slower! If any of you have meal suggestions you find yummy, so I don't get bored with the same ol' same ol'. I'd appreciate any ideas! ????

Hi, I'm Kelly just had surgery Dec 23 and still at mushy food stage. I'm very anxious for my first successful fill to see this actually start . I am as well feel very hungry a lot and dr told me to up my food

Hi Butterfly, fills are not painful, but I guess that depends on your comfort level. Just feels like you are getting a shot. My doc would have me drink a small bottle of Water before I left his office to make sure I was not too tight.

I agree with Bandista, listen to your body and if you feel like you need a fill, go!

Best of luck!

Hi @@Butterfly24, any update on your fills and progress? Anxious to here how you are doing.

Sorry, it taken me a while to respond. We're moving this weekend and I've been so busy! Thank you for checking on me. I've felt so alone in this journey. The friends that do know I had the surgery just don't understand how this is for me. I had my fill and I don't feel like anything changed at all! I go in tomorrow and I'm going to tell them I need another fill. I feel like my old habits have crept back slowly and this week I felt like a horrible failure. I was beating myself up so much! I don't want to give up! I can't. One reason I had a lap band was at the suggestion of my surgeon. I've been having reoccurring hernias. She didn't want to do the surgery until I lost some weight off my stomach. This will be #6 hernia surgery. It's pretty bad this time. It's causing lots of digestive problems. I just felt alone lately and I think it's compounded all my emotions with this. Thank you, I appreciate your inquiry! ☺️

Glad to hear you are going back again. Keep up with the follow ups and you will get to that level where you feel good restriction. Be sure to give it some time to kick in. I never really experienced that myself, but i do read that it does take some time for others to feel the full effect so don't get discouraged if it is not instant.

Be sure to follow the rules right after your fill and take it slow.

You are not alone. None of my friends understand either. Even my husband doesn't get it.

Keep checking in with us, even if it's just to vent and nothing to do with WLS.

Good luck with the move and don't forget to drink Water all day long.

Thank you so much! Your comments make me feel normal again! I called yesterday and told the nurse I've been feeling hungry and eating more. My doctor said it sounds like I need an adjustment. I'm having issues drinking with meals! That is a hard habit to break! I do need to eat slower! If any of you have meal suggestions you find yummy, so I don't get bored with the same ol' same ol'. I'd appreciate any ideas! ????

Drinking with meals is a hard one too break. Even harder is getting the waitress to stop asking..... Are you sure you don't even want a Water... Ugh. I smile and say. While I appreciate your concern.... I don't want anything... Thanks

Eating slower.... I found that I ate faster when I was hungry. I tried not too let myself get that hungry. I also found that until I could control my chewing. I cut every bite in size about the same as the nail on my pinkie finger. Cut it all up first, than ate one bite ... Put down my fork, closed my eyes and thought about what that bite taste like. Also turning off the tv, putting down the book.... Not standing to eat... But sitting down with no distractions.

Soups were my friend for a while. Baked fish, peas, Beans, eggs, cooked carrots.

This helped me. Hope it might help you also....

I'm sorry, I didn't get a notice you responded. ???? I've gotten worse. It doesn't seem like I have a band. I have Insulin Resistance. My surgeon had me stop Metformin. I seem to be craving sugars and carbs like never before. I feel like my body's not in control. I like your suggestions. I think those are very good ideas to implement. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I want to succeed so much! I refuse to give up! My next appt is April 10

Butterfly24... I just came across your post! Like the others have said.. it takes time. The band is a tool. It won't cure our habits we have developed that made us over weight. Having medical issues on top of it all doesn't make it easier but it still can be done. I was banded in July 2013. I did well until I plateaued. Then I had to actually work out. I have had 3 fills to get to 'the spot'.... Don't beat up on yourself! it's a process. Keep us posted!

What types of sweets are you craving? One thing I did when I had a craving such chocolate. I bought the best chocolate I could afford. Broke off one piece put it in my mouth and sucked on it slowly. Let it melt. By the time it was gone so was my craving

When cooking. Keep something at arms reach. Tonight while cooking i had watermelon cut up. This stops me from eating items out of habit