Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The fill...who cares?

Why does it matter how much Fluid is or isn't in our band? I'm clueless on that? Is it just one more thing to hopelessly obsess on like the scale? I have had a fill and I honestly could give a rip about how much is in there. If it's helping me feel full ie giving my brain a chance to recognize satiety I'm all good with it. Why does it matter if it's a month or years before a fill? I must be missing the point with all that. I guess I'll try to conjure up a moment of caring about it but honestly I'm too busy getting on with my life to give it a second thought.

It's important to know how much is in your band so that if there is ever an emergency then you can tell the EMTs or Doctors. Also, if you ever move, then you'll need to tell your new doctor how much you have in your band so that they know where to pick things up with you. Also, you will need to know how much is in your band just in case a leak develops. Other than those reasons, I have no idea why you'd care. :)

Personally, I like to know as much as possible about what's inside me.

But that's just me. :D

I like knowing...The better one knows one's band, IMO, is "Key" to being successful.

Also, I would not care to have too much in there.....

As to when my last fill was, it has been over 3 years and that make me feel good...that the initial protocol followed by my surgeon in those first months, was all that was needed.

Three years...things have been very consistent. If I should experience any change in hunger, portion sizes, etc, or weight, I know right away it is not because I need another fill....there is something else going on.

Edited by B-52

My surgeon does not share the amount of Fluid in my band. I could insist but I do not.

I do carry a card in my wallet that indicates my status as a GB patient and my surgeons office etc. I guess I don't feel the need to know as it feels to me like it's one more thing possibly to use as a reason I am or am not losing weight. I understand the idea of knowing in case of an emergency however I also know scars indicate placement and if you had your surgery at a local hospital records are available. I'm very fortunate as my surgeon is local as well as my hospital, I feel that I am responsible for what goes in my mouth....my band only slows the flow therefore I am still ultimately responsible for my own weight loss/gain. I am grateful for the feeling of being full without over eating.

I guess it's up to each person whether they want to know or not. I wanted to know because I was curious and I feel empowered by information. For me, having surgery and having the band was scary so I've always wanted to know as much as possible so I feel like I know what's going on inside me. It's not necessarily for my physical well being, but for my mental well being. If you couldn't care less, then go ahead and don't worry about it. I believe a new physician could remove all Fluid to measure what was in your band and re-inject it if there was ever an urgent need to know and your current physician and medical records were not accessible.

I can see why it would be scary for some people. I'm not one to be spooked by such things as I've had surgery before and have done very well. I suppose I wanted to know why it is a hot topic for some and then not anything to someone else. I mean a band is non mechanical and a piece of cake surgically so again I wondered why it seems to be a hot topic amongst banders.

I saw a doctor other than my surgeon for maintenance, who said he'd remove all Fluid and measure it before putting any more in it. Knowing is important because it let's you and your doctor know how much of an adjustment can be made. Sadly, I had to go back to my surgeon for a fill, and, without knowing what was in my band, he added more. I haven't been able to keep food down, barely keeping liquids down, and I'm going back to get out of this red zone. Luckily, because it's within a week of my fill, they aren't charging for another one.

I always wondered what would be the big deal if your band was too tight, you'd just lose weight faster. Uh uh. It's miserable. I can burp up Water, can't even keep down liquidy mashed potatoes. It's been almost a week of this, and i don't think he'll could be worse...

Be informed, know what works, and encourage your doctor to do the same. Or find another one.

I saw a doctor other than my surgeon for maintenance, who said he'd remove all Fluid and measure it before putting any more in it. Knowing is important because it let's you and your doctor know how much of an adjustment can be made. Sadly, I had to go back to my surgeon for a fill, and, without knowing what was in my band, he added more. I haven't been able to keep food down, barely keeping liquids down, and I'm going back to get out of this red zone. Luckily, because it's within a week of my fill, they aren't charging for another one.

I always wondered what would be the big deal if your band was too tight, you'd just lose weight faster. Uh uh. It's miserable. I can burp up Water, can't even keep down liquidy mashed potatoes. It's been almost a week of this, and i don't think he'll could be worse...

Be informed, know what works, and encourage your doctor to do the same. Or find another one.

EXACTLY! Getting into that red zone sucks big time. I much prefer knowing for this same exact reason.

Thanks for the input on this. I don't do mashed potatoes or any other "useless" food. If it's not feeding my body in a good way I simply don't eat it anymore so the only indicator that my adjustment is wrong would be the Water I drink after a fill or the inability to keep fluids down in the following 24 hours. That is my litmus test. If Water and other fluids are not going down then there's an issue. So far I've had a minimal fill of unknown quantity. I'm still losing and I'm still filling full off of 3-4 ozs at a time so it seems to be doing it's job slowing the emptying of my stomach pouch. That's all I can go on....