Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi folks. I've been lurking for a few months. My surgery is scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks from now.

My reasons:

• I couldn't be in my brother's wedding. They don't make suits in my size.
  • I had to stand up in the back during my sister's wedding. The chairs were too small and weak.
  • I hate my CPAP.
  • My dad had a health scare last year.
  • I'm tired of getting pulled aside for "I love you, but..." lectures when the family gets together for the holidays.

I've lost around 50 pounds since I got serious with my sugar-free high-Protein diet back in October, but it's already starting to stall.

Welcome and congrats on making one could be the best decision of your life!

Welcome!!!! You've come to the right place! This forum has helped me so much since i joined. I didn't join until after surgery because (I am only seeing this now) I allowed my life to be WAAAAAY too stressful and full prior to going off of work for surgery, and I wish I had joined prior to my operation. GOOD FOR YOU for actually writing down the WHY of what you are choosing to do for yourself. Now that I have had my surgery and some time off from work to reflect on what got me here in the first place, I am making a new commitment to myself to take better care of me and to love myself at every stage that I reach!!! I look forward to hearing about your journey in the future!

I think you'll be very happy you joined, there are so many nice and helpful folks on this site. And it's good to join prior to your surgery, so you can get an idea what to expect, from other folk's perspective. Good luck to you and welcome!

One word of advice: take what you read here with a grain of salt. I find the people who experienced complications tend to be a bit more vocal. There are many of us who have experienced zero complications. I've had none to date and couldn't be happier.

I'm also very happy I joined! Sleeved on 12/20 and doing great thank God!

Welcome Jason from Houston!

I joined this group little before my surgery and I too wish I would have found it well before my surgery, I'm sure it would have helped with the stress of the unknown.

I'm sure you will find a lot of helpful information here but do be careful when reading posts about complications. You must remember that complications are rare and that as with any other kind of surgery there are risks, but it is good to know what you are getting into.

In the case of WLS, I feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

My advise for you is to ask yourself: Do I want to do this surgery for me? Can I live without fatty and sugary foods? Can I deal with not having my favorite foods?

If you answer yes to these questions then you more than likely not regret being sleeved. Oh and as far as your favorite foods, eventually you might be able to eat them in moderation but be careful because that's when people can loose track of themselves and make the surgery a failure.

Welcome to your journey in becoming a healthier and happier Jason!

Thanks everyone. I'm actually not worried about the surgery or other medical stuff, just logistics... My parents live about 2 hours away. They've assumed I'll be coming to stay with them through the recovery. The surgeon was very hesitant, but will allow it. I wish he hadn't.

I've been home for the holidays only a few hours, and I'm stressed out already. In the last 5 hours, Mom has offered to make cinnamon rolls and a chocolate pie. When I declined, she said I'd have to learn to be around normal people food.

Honestly, if you don't feel comfortable then don't! If you know you are going to be stressed out and they won't be supporting you then why even consider staying with them? Unless you have a serious conversation with then about the issues?

I hope you can work this out with your family.

Hi Jason! Welcome to our [big] family! VSG was the 2nd best decision I've ever made in my life. My first was marrying my husband :) We are all here for you every step of the way!

Welcome!! Your reasons for surgery had me tearing up. I really empathize with it.

While it is helpful to have someone to assist in your recovery, unless they are 100% supportive it will make it more difficult. My husband was supportive but he ate a hamburger next to me while I was still on Clear liquids and I stared daggers at him the entire time. He never offered me something he knew I couldn't have though. And he helped me shower the first few days and made sure I took my medicine so I appreciate that. It's better to be away from any and all temptations the first month when compliance is critical.

Edited by krisrpaz

Thanks everyone. I'm actually not worried about the surgery or other medical stuff, just logistics... My parents live about 2 hours away. They've assumed I'll be coming to stay with them through the recovery. The surgeon was very hesitant, but will allow it. I wish he hadn't.

I've been home for the holidays only a few hours, and I'm stressed out already. In the last 5 hours, Mom has offered to make cinnamon rolls and a chocolate pie. When I declined, she said I'd have to learn to be around normal people food.

Tell her normal people also eat nutritious food like lean Proteins and green leafy vegetable. Make her aware that food like cinnamon rolls and chocolate pies will sabotage your effects to change your eating and if she doesn't think she abstain from offering you things not on your new food plan that it might be best if your recuperate elsewhere. if you don't think this will be a safe place to be post op, don't go. You don't want your surgery to be in vain. Self care is important.

First things first: Victory! I lost my 60 lbs that the surgeon wanted so that my liver would shrink, plus a little.

Also, I've negotiated a much shorter (and hopefully less stressful, as a result) out-of-town recovery. Now, back to work then scrubbing down the house. After all, Mom is going to stay here 2 nights unsupervised. I'd rather not be lectured about forgetting to dust or not unloading the dishwasher.

I have lost 103 lbs since I started the pre-op diet 6 months ago. Today is 1 month + 4 days post op. I am 28% of the way to my goal weight.

I have to hold up my pants, my underwear won't stay up, my shirts are baggy, and I don't wear my college ring for fear it'll fall off and I'll lose it. Problems. Problems. Problems. ;)

Congrat Jason. Sound like you are doing great