Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol as a social activity / Cash pay patients

Hello potential friends. This is my very first post on here! I am currently waiting for surgery, scheduled 1/20 and have a few questions for you. Let's get down to the nitty grity (nacho libre reference).

First, I attend and host quite a few work happy hours/social networking events. I have read a lot about alcohol use and abuse after WLS so I feel pretty educated. Most people say to stick with vodka and Water if your going to drink at all. I know everyone is different but a) does it really hit you that much harder and B) have you experienced soberness > drunk >sober >drunk over the case of a few hours? I read one story where a lady experienced fluctuating between the two throughout one night in incremental time frames. Has any one else experienced that?

Second, I cant find any statistics on this but does anyone know the success rate for cash pay patients? I have insurance however, this is not covered and I am paying out of pocket. I am not financing and paying in cash and the Dr. I am utilizing is not economical. Needless to say, it's quite an investment. I feel that (man this is going to sound douche) that since I am a cash pay patient I have more riding on the line. I feel that I have even MORE of an obligation to myself to follow through very strictly with the regimen.

Thanks for any insight, especially from the guys as most of you here are of the female persuasion. Happy New Years!

I have no idea how to answer either question. I am pre-op, not much of a drinker to begin with, and am cash pay (but have been approved through my states vocational rehab so they are paying for the surgery).

As to the alcohol, there are many discussions and opinions on this board so I recommend reading the previous discussions. (My opinion, drinking isn't worth the risk for me --- especially early after surgery).

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your surgery.

I can't speak on the drinking part because I haven't had a drink since surgery.

However I don't think there would be much more of a difference between self pay versus insurance. There are pros and cons on both sides. Most insurances makes people jump through insane hoops in order to qualify so hopefully that makes people take it seriously. On the other hand if you are serious enough about this surgery to pay out of pocket or get financing then I would hope that would be enough to make you take it seriously. Regardless of funding I think attitude and your view on why you need this surgery are the min thing tht will make a difference.

I was a cash pay patient and I have been successful. I would much rather be cash pay because you don't have to jump through all of the hoops that insurance requires. I haven't been to a single appointment after my 3 week follow-up, I saw a dietician once before surgery, I haven't been to any support meetings, and the point between deciding I wanted surgery and walking into surgery was 2.5 weeks. Paying cash gets you in faster and if you are self-motivated is far less of a hassle than dealing with insurance. If you need tools that are provided through insurance, then perhaps that is something to consider. I tend to be fairly do-it-myself oriented, so I had no issues.

As for alcohol, after the first six weeks your stomach is pretty much healed, so nothing wrong with drinking a bit. I had a few sips of champagne at 4 weeks and in the last year I've had a few nights that involved a couple shots, or a few glasses of wine, or a few cocktails. I'm not a huge drinker, so I was already a lightweight. I have not had any issues with the sleeve and drinking but I also tend to drink slowly and/or pace out the shots over the course of a night.

I'm also pre op so I can't answer your alcohol question. However, Water in a martini glass, garnished with an olive is convincing! I may or may not have tried this during the holidays, on my pre op diet. ????????

I'm self pay and I don't think it's fair to say we have any sort of "advantage" it's up to our good choices and our bodies response! however, I think due to the fact we are forking out THOUSANDS of dollars, it's a tad motivating! I sure don't want to fail. We just have a different perspective, when we personally pay the bill.

I watched a good friend get blitzed on a glass of wine. She's a year post op. She was sloppy. It was great to see honestly

I've drank wine and hard liquor, no difference whatsoever. Just the usual headache after 2 drinks. 3 drinks have been my limit. Not even tipsy.

AND I don't drink but maybe once a year. Thought I'd clear that right up.

In regards to the drinking, I think it depends on the person. I have had a few drinks since surgery. Mostly wine and rum w/juice. The effect has not been any diffrent from before surgery. I am midful off calories. If I know I'm going to indulge I count those calories. Good luck w/ surgery. =)

I read an article that said after gastric sleeve surgery the body metabolises alcohol differently and it can stay in your system longer. I'm not sure about the truth / science behind this so will be asking my surgeon when I see him next.

I would like a glass of something in the future but if alcohol doesn't sit well anymore etc I am not bothered... Small price to pay to be healthy and look amazing (well, I hope I end up both those things haha).