Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A bikini, is it a reality....

So I have been so amazed by my weight loss so far, and am seeing my body transform. So far I have lost 164 pounds, and am beginning to wonder about that article of clothes that has been elusive to me forever. The bikini.

Generally I feel like it is not something that is important, but yet, I cannot stop the feeling that this article of clothing (or lack of ;)) is a rite of passage. Here I am, 30 years old and have never worn a bikini.

I would love to wear one, but am unsure if my body type is "accepting" of such a revealing outfit.

One thing to remember is that I am sure very few people are ever comfortable in a bikini. So why do we, as in myself, aspire to achieve this.

I have decided this summer I will wear a bikini, I will have excess skin, and will feel self conscious. So I have also decided I will wear a white tank over said bikini. When it gets wet, you can see my bikini, but also hides my skin.

Seems like a lot of hassle for this elusive bikini. Does it even count? Why wear a bikini if you are just going to hide. It.

My theory, it is not the view itself of wearing the bikini, but the act of being able to wear one, even if I am the only one who sees it.

I am looking forward to wearing a black bikini, white tank and cutoff denim jean shorts.

Cute outfit, and yet something I can look forward to.

I cannot help but wonder about the double standards we put on ourselves in the summer and how much we as women yearn for something like this. The bikini after all is meant to make us feel sexy and desired. Who wouldn't want to feel that way, especially after feeling so self neglectful and self - loathing for so long.

The idea, at least to feel like I can share some of that excitement, but within my own comfort seems like a win win. :)

What are your thoughts about the bikini?

Have you been able to wear one "successfully" at least by your own definition?

I have always worn a tankini. Skirt and long torso tank. This summer was my first summer in 15+ years at a normal weight so my skirt was a tad shorter and my top was the bra top variety. My thighs are really saggy and I want to go to the pool or beach and NOT feel self conscious so I will never wear a bikini bottom again, most likely..

Wear what makes YOU feel good. I felt great in my itty bitty bikini when I was in high school and college. I haven't felt great in a suit since until this summer. (This is a hurdle for me, too, as I was a competitive swimmer and still love to swim for exercise.)

Shop around, you'll find the right style.

Edited by LipstickLady

I have always worn a tankini. Skirt and long torso tank. This summer was my first summer in 15+ years at a normal weight so my skirt was a tad shorter and my top was the bra top variety. My thighs are really saggy and I want to go to the pool or beach and NOT feel self conscious so I will never wear a bikini bottom again, most likely..

Wear what makes YOU feel good. I felt great in my itty bitty bikini when I was in high school and college. I haven't felt great in a suit since until this summer. (This is a hurdle for me, too, as I was a competitive swimmer and still love to swim for exercise.)

I think it matters more how you feel in it than how you look. If it makes you feel strong, empowered, and beautiful, then I say go for it! That is what this entire journey is about and if that is your goal, I have no doubt you will make it happen and you will rock it. Keep up the amazing work! I can't wait to hear about all of the other amazing things you will be doing as your journey progresses.

I think it is definitely a possibility for me but I will need plastics first. I have major skin issues! At least they are major to me. And my boobs are headed for the south pole!

I think it is definitely a possibility for me but I will need plastics first. I have major skin issues! At least they are major to me. And my boobs are headed for the south pole!

This reminds me of hearing Maya Angelou say that her sisters are having a race for her belt.

I'm 3 months out and don't think this would be a good look for me.

I have the stretch marks on my tummy from having 2 giant babies years ago, so my bikini days have been pretty much over....but like someone else said, I'm not opposed to a little bit smaller tankini when the time comes! If it makes you feel good, ROCK IT!!

Totally agree! Half the fun of getting new clothes is trying these increasingly smaller sizes on at the store and seeing what fits/looks good on your new bod. I look at it as buying clothes for my new best friend, but I'm not sure what she'll like, so I let her try on stuff that I wouldn't have ever imagined wearing myself. Schizo, yes. But I'm having fun.

Go for it, girl!!! I'm sure you are going to look beautiful!!! I can't wait to strut around in a bikini. I have at least another six months to a year before I'll be able to but I will. And I'm excited also.

I have decided at the ripe old age of 45, that I am going to wear a bikini this summer! In fact, I have thrown out my tummy-covering tankinis and ordered 2 bikinis....my tummy and thighs look a bit like melting silly putty, but, like you, it is an article of clothing that I have NEVER worn and, by God, I am not going to let a little saggy skin stand in the way of my first tan on my belly :)

One thing I love about losing 90 pounds is that I am no longer constantly thinking about/obsessing on how I look in clothes....wearing a tank top would give me anxiety all day...I was never comfortable in shorts, form-fitting dresses had me in tears and the bikini? I never even considered it! In fact, when I would see them at stores I would be filled with sadness knowing that it was never something I could even consider. These days, the relief of no longer obsessing about my image is a gift! I not only bought a bikini, but two pairs of "cheeky" panties, dress slacks that are form-fitting rather than loose, a tank top with a built-in bra, leggings that I am willing to wear outside my house and more.

Just my two cents...but Enjoy the freedom! I guarantee no one but you cares about a little tummy sag :)

Edited by SparkleCat