Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Sleevers,

My surgery is set for this Monday December 29th at 9:30am but i'm having some issues with getting the amount of Protein in that i'm suppose to. They want us to get 60-80 but I just can't see how that is going to be possible being on a clear liquid diet after the surgery. I can hardly get the required amount now and I haven't even had the surgery yet. Help please!!! Any advice would be appreciated!

@@PerfectlyImperfect88 You probably won't get the Protein requirements in directly after surgery, most don't. You will just have to keep working at it day by day until you do. Hydration is also going to be a biggie so you will really have to make a conscious effort to focus on them both. It's normal. Good luck to you!

@@PerfectlyImperfect88 You probably won't get the Protein requirements in directly after surgery, most don't. You will just have to keep working at it day by day until you do. Hydration is also going to be a biggie so you will really have to make a conscious effort to focus on them both. It's normal. Good luck to you!

Thank you! I just don't want anything crazy to happen to.my body since I wasn't able to get the protein in!!

There is a product that I used immediately post surgery, Isopure ready-to-drink clear drinks. One bottle has 40 grams of Protein. I bought mine at Vitamin Shoppe.

You have to work your way up. It gets easier as you are able to eat more food. Plan on 20 grams for each of three meals and two ten gram Snacks. That would be 80. But you could also do three fifteen gram meals and two 7-8 gram Snacks for 60 grams of Protein.

For meat, eggs, cheese, you are looking at around seven grams per ounce. Milk, cottage cheese, ricotta etc., can count as Protein, too. A scrambled egg with 1/2 ounce of shredded cheddar would be about ten grams.

It is do-able. When you are freshly post-op, your priority has to be fluids. period so that you don't end up back at the hospital for dehydration. Then worry about protein.

You have to get the best bang for the buck. get some type of smoothie maker or blender. shaker bottle are great. Nutra bullet type products are helpful as well. Oster makes one for about $25.

Look for a Protein powder or Liquid Protein with a good amount of Protein. I use a whey powder from CVS that is 26 gm per scoop. I work out in the mornings. My Breakfast is a Protein shake. I mix 1 scoop of Protein Powder with anywhere from ¼ - ½ cup of plain, greek yogurt. (I prefer FAGE0%) for an additional 6 -12 gm of protein with a bit of almond milk. I've now gotten in nearly half my protein with my first meal of the day. If I only eat lunch and dinner with no Snacks I can easily get in the rest of protein by making sure each meal has at least 15gms of protein.

When I was newly sleeved I also added lots of ice and at least a ¼cup of Water to my shakes to make sure I was getting in my Water and to keep my shakes from being too thick on my healing tummy.

Edited by BLERDgirl