Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just beginning to research WLS - i'm a total skeptic

My name is Aimee & Im 37 years old. I've gained about 60 pounds in the last year and a half. I'm 5 feet tall and I weigh 229 pounds. *****This is a major setback in my life because when I was 26 I weighed 240 pounds. I decided I didn't want to be overweight anymore and I took steps on my own to lose my weight - I'm not sure where I found the willpower but I was able to lose the weight by dieting alone basically changing all of my eating habits and forming a new lifestyle. I started working out and incorporating exercise & was able to lose more .... After being heavy from age 12 till 28 I was extremely proud of myself. I had finally done the impossible. I can't tell you how many nights I would lay there in bed thinking tomorrow is the day that I'll start my new diet and just never did. I was able to maintain a weight of 150-165 for years. About three years ago I hurt my back my L5 disc showed signs of compression and began to cause issues with my sciatic nerve. I went to therapy I did everything I was told to do but working out became harder and harder for me and even a low to moderate exercise routine would cause such unbearable pain that would last for days. I continued to watch my food intake and my healthy eating habits but about a year and a half ago I had a huge change in my life which caused me to become way more laxed in my eating habits, then I found a new job that allowed me to work from home and it all went downhill from there. My daily routine was gone no more forced exercise just me the couch and my laptop. In the last few months I've noticed that I have completely reverted back to the eating habits I had before I lost my weight. I've tried many diets over the past couple years and have not been able to stick to any many cause could ketosis and allow for quick weight loss, but when I go off of the diet I tend to gain double what I've lost.

I don't know what to do anymore - I know I need to make a change now not later! I have always believed that no one needs weight-loss surgery because I found the willpower to do the impossible I assumed anyone could do that as well. I know I've gotten older and my body is changing and things are different now my metabolism is just not the same and it's so much more difficult to lose the weight now than it was before as much as I try I fail and it's a vicious cycle.

My sister got the lap band about seven years ago and I've watched her constantly struggle with it it's never worked properly she throws up when it's too tight and when it's too loose she can eat too much and gain weight and it's never really worked. Of course that puts a huge red flag in front of my face and makes me think look what she went through and look how she struggles it didn't do her any good why would a gastric bypass's help me? I realize there's a huge difference between the surgeries and what each of them do. I'm terrified that the worst will happen I will have countless side effects and regret my decision to take the route of irreversible surgery.

I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish years ago and I want that feeling back again I'm just scared of the unknown and if this is the right path for me? I'm still in the very early stages of considering this is an option.

I am truly a skeptic and I've done nothing but be very closed minded to weight-loss surgeries in the past and I thank you for allowing me to share my story. I wonder if anyone else has a similar situation to mine and any advice or opinions good or bad?

Thank you

Aimee

Their is good and bad with every surgery. There are also more types of WLS than lap band and bypass. Currently the gastric sleeve has become very popular. if you could find a program in your area that offers a WLS seminar that would be your best place to start. A good seminar walks you through each procedure and the pros and cons of them all.

I had the sleeve done and so far have had no problems. I didn't even need pain meds in the hospital. I think it's part what state your were in physically, and part mental attitude. I was completely confident that I was doing the right thing, no nerves or tears going into surgery. I exercised regularly and I followed doctor's orders leading up to surgery. So far I've had no problems.

The fact that you have approached us here on the forum is an indicator that you are mellowing a bit on what your options are. Two of my sisters had gastric bypass. One is doing well. She went from a size 26 to a size 6 in two years time and is healthy and maintaining. The other one went from almost 400 pounds to 150 and is struggling to stay under 200 now. But she totally went back to ger old habits, including heavy salt.

I had the sleeve one year ago this week and am doing well. I am 14 pounds from goal and much more health than I would be without it.

One thing you will find here is that opinions and tact will vary, so just be prepared to take away what you need and then disregard the rest. I would encourage you to educate yourself as much as you can, and maybe even check out a local support group. The encouragement and support of others will be of benefit.

Welcome to the forum. Happy Holidays.

I appreciate the responses so far and your stories I am trying to become more educated on what this means physically emotionally and any other way it would affect me. My sister has been doing research on this for years and has a couple of good friends that have had the gastric bypass surgery done. I have hesitated to talk to anyone who's had it done because it's just not something I believed in. I agree that I do need to do more research and truly educate myself and continue to allow myself to be more open to the possibility that this could be an option for me :)

I used to be completely against this surgery. Now, I am pre-op and eagerly awaiting a surgery date for a sleeve.

Doing the research has helped me understand better what I am getting myself into but even better, it has given me back hope that I can have my life back!

I never would have had gastric bypass. Too many risks due to malabsorption of nutrients and other issues -- from my point of view.

Then I started learning about the lapband's downside, and that turned me away from that option as well.

But when I learned about the gastric sleeve, I got very interested in what it might mean for me.

I think you should take as long as you need to to educate yourself about the various options. If you cannot go into WLS with full foreknowledge of what it means--nutritionally, behaviorally, the adaptations required, and with a very positive attitude that it is the right decision for you--then I don't think you should have the surgery.

FYI, I'm over 4 months post-op and am over the moon about my experience thus far and very, very hopeful about my potential health and lifestyle futures.

Best wishes to you.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Last December I considered having the lapband done (I'd never heard of the sleeve). I was at the end of my line, I was huge, I was ashamed and I was embarrassed to be seen. I was at my lowest point. After doing a lot of research I decided the risks were too high, the problems too big for someone that works over an hour from the closest town, and triple that from a decent hospital. So I continued to live with my disgust for myself.

One day I stumbled across the gastric sleeve, and it interested me. When I stepped on the scale last spring and saw something that was beyond belief, I decided I had no other choice, I booked an appointment with a surgeon in Mexico, and off I went. That was September 14, and I'm now half way to my goal weight, and no longer suffering the issues, problems, and pain I was prior to the surgery. There has not been one second that I've regretted my decision, not one.

When I was in Tijuana having my surgery there was a lady with her husband having the sleeve done, her husband had a band done 15 years ago, and I asked her, why not the band if your husband has had such success, and she said after watching the problems her husband had, she would never, ever consider a band.. Yes, he lost his weight, but not without lots of problems.

I hope I never have to be a chronic yoyo dieter ever again, and this tool has offered me the success I couldn't do on my own anymore.

I wish you luck, but my thoughts are, do what ever you have to, to live a happy life, and keep trying, try everything, and anything, it will be worth it in the long run.

It took me a long time to even consider bariatric surgery. Like you, I was convinced that I should be able to do this on my own. Then after researching, I thought the behavioral changes have to happen with or without surgery: if I can't make them without then why do I think I can make them with? So I went to a dietician, followed her plan and upped my excercise. I lost 30lbs, and while that was great, I couldn't budge past that. And I moved from pre-diabetic to diabetic. So 7 years after I began searching, I commited to a surgeon and to the sleeve. I planned the surgery around my home and work schedule, leaving myself plenty of room to back out if my gut told me to.

I had the surgery on 11/14. I survived Thanksgiving and Christmas on restriction, and am now eating real foods again. I have lost another 30, putting me 60lbs down from last year. My blood glucose is normal, my blood pressure low normal. I move better, I feel better and I don't hate on myself for not having the willpower to just tough it out without this tool. Because it is only a tool, we have to do the real work ourselves. I will have to fight to make a new normal relationship with food, and fight not to slide back into what was comfortable. But I am glad I did it. I am also glad that I waited until my emotional reactions settled down.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Make you decision based on facts, and on your own love for yourself. It's not a failure, and it's not a punishment - it's a gift.

My name is Aimee & Im 37 years old. I've gained about 60 pounds in the last year and a half. I'm 5 feet tall and I weigh 229 pounds. *****This is a major setback in my life because when I was 26 I weighed 240 pounds. I decided I didn't want to be overweight anymore and I took steps on my own to lose my weight - I'm not sure where I found the willpower but I was able to lose the weight by dieting alone basically changing all of my eating habits and forming a new lifestyle. I started working out and incorporating exercise & was able to lose more .... After being heavy from age 12 till 28 I was extremely proud of myself. I had finally done the impossible. I can't tell you how many nights I would lay there in bed thinking tomorrow is the day that I'll start my new diet and just never did. I was able to maintain a weight of 150-165 for years. About three years ago I hurt my back my L5 disc showed signs of compression and began to cause issues with my sciatic nerve. I went to therapy I did everything I was told to do but working out became harder and harder for me and even a low to moderate exercise routine would cause such unbearable pain that would last for days. I continued to watch my food intake and my healthy eating habits but about a year and a half ago I had a huge change in my life which caused me to become way more laxed in my eating habits, then I found a new job that allowed me to work from home and it all went downhill from there. My daily routine was gone no more forced exercise just me the couch and my laptop. In the last few months I've noticed that I have completely reverted back to the eating habits I had before I lost my weight. I've tried many diets over the past couple years and have not been able to stick to any many cause could ketosis and allow for quick weight loss, but when I go off of the diet I tend to gain double what I've lost.

I don't know what to do anymore - I know I need to make a change now not later! I have always believed that no one needs weight-loss surgery because I found the willpower to do the impossible I assumed anyone could do that as well. I know I've gotten older and my body is changing and things are different now my metabolism is just not the same and it's so much more difficult to lose the weight now than it was before as much as I try I fail and it's a vicious cycle.

My sister got the lap band about seven years ago and I've watched her constantly struggle with it it's never worked properly she throws up when it's too tight and when it's too loose she can eat too much and gain weight and it's never really worked. Of course that puts a huge red flag in front of my face and makes me think look what she went through and look how she struggles it didn't do her any good why would a gastric bypass's help me? I realize there's a huge difference between the surgeries and what each of them do. I'm terrified that the worst will happen I will have countless side effects and regret my decision to take the route of irreversible surgery.

I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish years ago and I want that feeling back again I'm just scared of the unknown and if this is the right path for me? I'm still in the very early stages of considering this is an option.

I am truly a skeptic and I've done nothing but be very closed minded to weight-loss surgeries in the past and I thank you for allowing me to share my story. I wonder if anyone else has a similar situation to mine and any advice or opinions good or bad?

Thank you

Aimee

I was where you are not too long ago. I knew I needed to make a change but wasn't sure that the surgery was for me. However, in my case, I had two success stories within my family to help me make that decision. On one side of the family, a relative had gastric sleeve. On the other, the Roux-NY. Both are still doing great and they are three years and 7 years out, respectively.

Part of the issue here is that the surgery IS scary and one wonders if it is necessary to put themselves in a situation where major complications could occur. The other part is we want to think that we are in control of our lives, and our eating habits. For me, I couldn't have lost weight without it. I know I would be struggling for the rest of my life as a morbidly obese person. Just didn't want to go there.

I had no complications from my surgery (my hair did fall out and I have a bit more acid reflux than before the surgery) but some people do and it is highly advised that you research that part of it too so that you can be completely educated as to what can happen.

I wish you the best of luck!