Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having RNY near 220 lbs or less?

Hello, I would love to hear from all of you that are going to have surgery as a light weight. I have morbidity conditions and have for years. I chose to have the lap band 5.5 years ago and lost 45 lbs. I weighed 246 at that time. After removing the band, I now weigh 218 lbs. I wish I had listened to my 1st surgeon and had RNY instead of chickening out and opting for the band. My surgeon now is saying that my insurance will not cover the sleeve, but it will cover RNY. This is the surgery I need in order to help get rid of the morbid conditions I have. Anyone else going through this or has gone through this? Please let me know, I need help! I am 5'2" and top heavy from the waist up. Although image shouldn't matter but I do worry about that too at times. Thanks

I started my journey at 250 lbs. I am 5'3 and 41 years old. I lost 40 lbs post op and when I had surgery I was 210. That was in January 2014. I am now at 145. And wearing a size 5/6. I can share clothes with my 16yo daughter. My weight loss after surgery was slow compared to others that had more to lose. I am very happy with my results and hope to lose 5+ more lbs. I am also considering skin surgery for waist, arms and legs as I am very self conscious about the extra skin. Also could use a breast lift as what little is left is saggy.

Hi, I am 47 years old, I currently weigh 221 pounds and am 5' 1" I am scheduled for RNY surgery on January 19, 2015. Getting excited and nervous. My hubby had VSG last March, he is doing great, down over a 100 pounds. No problems what so ever. I was planning VSG as well, but due to my GERD, was only offered RNY. Because of multiple co-morbidities, decided that WLS is the only answer and so my journey began on September 16, 2014 and seemed a million miles away from my surgery date. Yet here I am about to start my presurgery liquid diet in about 2 weeks. My sweet husband bought me gift cards for Christmas to different clothing stores knowing I will need them. Now let's hope he's right!

So exciting. Keep us updated on how it goes for you.

I started my journey at 250 lbs. I am 5'3 and 41 years old. I lost 40 lbs post op and when I had surgery I was 210. That was in January 2014. I am now at 145. And wearing a size 5/6. I can share clothes with my 16yo daughter. My weight loss after surgery was slow compared to others that had more to lose. I am very happy with my results and hope to lose 5+ more lbs. I am also considering skin surgery for waist, arms and legs as I am very self conscious about the extra skin. Also could use a breast lift as what little is left is saggy.

Thanks jacileggs, This is very encouraging. It's nice to know that I have others near my weight and having/had RNY.

Hi, I am 47 years old, I currently weigh 221 pounds and am 5' 1" I am scheduled for RNY surgery on January 19, 2015. Getting excited and nervous. My hubby had VSG last March, he is doing great, down over a 100 pounds. No problems what so ever. I was planning VSG as well, but due to my GERD, was only offered RNY. Because of multiple co-morbidities, decided that WLS is the only answer and so my journey began on September 16, 2014 and seemed a million miles away from my surgery date. Yet here I am about to start my presurgery liquid diet in about 2 weeks. My sweet husband bought me gift cards for Christmas to different clothing stores knowing I will need them. Now let's hope he's right!

Now that's support for you. He IS a sweet hubby. That's the type of support that I would love to have. I really would like more positive support from my family, it would make my decision so much easier. I know that my hubby will be there waiting on me hand and foot once I have the surgery, but right now, he's not very encouraging. He's a string bean and just can't understand that I can't just push back from the table. I need help to get healthy.

I too had the lap and in 2008. The first two years were wonderful and I got as low has 185. I too am 5'2" and a petite female, in other words I was far never big boned. In 2012 I finally admitted to having some serious issues with my band; reflux, heartburn, not eating until 4 in the afternoon because my band had to warm up. It was two years of hell for me. I finally went in and had an egd and found out I had intestinal metaplasia, caused from the reflux and heartburn caused from the band. I decided then and there to have it taken out. My surgeon advised me that revisions are more complicated but I was an excellent candidate. I was revised to RNY on June 12, 2013. I weighed 218 on the day of surgery. I hit my goal weight in the summer of 2014 and had a circumferential lower body lift at the beginning of November. I feel fantastic, am holding steady at 110 to 112 and now have the figure I felt I always should have had. I eat sensibly, exercise and take my Vitamins daily. I bought jeans last week at lucky brand and got size double zero. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be that tiny. I look normal and healthy and when I look at pictures of myself at my highest weight of 270 size 24 I can't believe it's me. Anyone starting this journey know it isn't easy but it can be done. I wasn't a fast loser but I worked the process every single day. Good luck!

I'm 5'2 and weighed 211 on day of surgery 2 weeks ago. I'm am currently down to 189lbs and feel awesome!????

I too had the lap and in 2008. The first two years were wonderful and I got as low has 185. I too am 5'2" and a petite female, in other words I was far never big boned. In 2012 I finally admitted to having some serious issues with my band; reflux, heartburn, not eating until 4 in the afternoon because my band had to warm up. It was two years of hell for me. I finally went in and had an egd and found out I had intestinal metaplasia, caused from the reflux and heartburn caused from the band. I decided then and there to have it taken out. My surgeon advised me that revisions are more complicated but I was an excellent candidate. I was revised to RNY on June 12, 2013. I weighed 218 on the day of surgery. I hit my goal weight in the summer of 2014 and had a circumferential lower body lift at the beginning of November. I feel fantastic, am holding steady at 110 to 112 and now have the figure I felt I always should have had. I eat sensibly, exercise and take my Vitamins daily. I bought jeans last week at lucky brand and got size double zero. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be that tiny. I look normal and healthy and when I look at pictures of myself at my highest weight of 270 size 24 I can't believe it's me. Anyone starting this journey know it isn't easy but it can be done. I wasn't a fast loser but I worked the process every single day. Good luck!

Edited by blackonynx

I hope to do as well as you all have. You have inspired me b/c I'm always being asked why do I want bypass, and that I'm not big enough for it. I've been told that my insurance will now pay for me to have sleeve surgery. I started posting about it yesterday thinking that maybe (because of my lower weight) that the sleeve would be my better choice. Well, It may be best for me size wise, but I really do want to put my diabetes into remission forever. so I'm back to thinking RNY. I'm so confused.

I had metabolic syndrome and was pretty diabetic and that played a huge role in my decision too. Plus with my issues with the band I didn't ever even consider sleeve. No regrets from me but it is a very personal decision. I firmly believe when you've made your decision you'll know it's right because you'll be at peace. Best of luck!

Had RNY in March and have lost 115 pounds. Left the hospital not needing my diabetic meds anymore.

I had metabolic syndrome and was pretty diabetic and that played a huge role in my decision too. Plus with my issues with the band I didn't ever even consider sleeve. No regrets from me but it is a very personal decision. I firmly believe when you've made your decision you'll know it's right because you'll be at peace. Best of luck!

You know, I think you're right! But I am trying to find out about the sleeve too. I had horrible acid reflux with the band and have heard you may also have it with the sleeve. After I see my surgeon next week, I will surely ask him about possible reflux issues.

Edited by blackonynx

I'm 59 and had my RNY 12/10/14. The day of surgery, I weighed 207. I didn't lose any weight the first week. In the two weeks (and 3 days ????) since then, I have lost 15.5 pounds. I believe that it would have been more, but, I was very sick with an upper respiratory infection for about a week of that 2wks and 3ds. I'm 5 feet tall.

I'm 59 and had my RNY 12/10/14. The day of surgery, I weighed 207. I didn't lose any weight the first week. In the two weeks (and 3 days ) since then, I have lost 15.5 pounds. I believe that it would have been more, but, I was very sick with an upper respiratory infection for about a week of that 2wks and 3ds. I'm 5 feet tall.

I'm glad you're doing OK and thanks for the info