Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much Protein - Can you believe it.

I am 3 months post op and just did my 3 month boos work. All came back great except my doctor was concerned that one of levels was showing too much Protein that was cause for concern for the kidney. I usually take in 75-97 grams of protein a day very little carb. She has asked me to stop taking one of the Protein Shakes (take 2 a day 60grams protein) and I will do a urine collection to see if that makes a difference. Has anyone had this problem as well.

My sister is 5 years out. She is having a lot of health issues and the doctor told her that she had to start eating some carbs. She has been doing Protein only and her body has started building up an immune to the Protein. She has carried her weight loss to far....to the point there is lots of health issues.

That's good to know I am not alone. Unfortunately especially on this forum carbs are made out to be evil and I think the key is to finding balance.

That's good to know I am not alone. Unfortunately especially on this forum carbs are made out to be evil and I think the key is to finding balance.

Because most people don't differentiate between simple carbs and complex carbs. Complex carbs are good for you. They often are found in fruit & veg as well as whole grains. They are good because they also contain Fiber and other nutrients. Simple carbs tend to be found in processed foods and things like white rice, breads and Pasta.

I don't do low carbs, I just avoid simple carbs.

I responded in your other post as well and I'm really glad you created this one, because I don't think everyone realizes the kind of internal damage that can occur over time when meals are not balanced.

The human body is not designed to function without carbs, and the ones we chose to eat that packed on the pounds gives carbs a bad rep in general. However, we need and should include complex carbs in our meals as frightening as that may sound to some.

i also noticed carbs are made to be the enemy in alot of weight loss forums...but there has to be a balance in all things...hopefully you get your blood levels to healthy in all ways! carbs are very important, as is fat, in the diet.

I think the best time to have carbs is in the morning and till lunch.< /p>

I think the best time to have carbs is in the morning and till lunch.< /p>

Why?

I think the best time to have carbs is in the morning and till lunch.

Why? Because for some we have higher energy in the first half of the day and we are likely to burn the carb calories faster in mornings. Also from the time we have our dinners to the time we wake up it's a good jump start for the day. I am not saying we have to gorge on carbs but get better use for it if we eat a fruit or have that potato with an egg? Or Cereal? I am not a dietician but I have been told that by a Nutrionist. It makes sense.

That a nutritionist I'd fire. It's an oversimplification and it still puts carbs in the "it's the enemy" catagory. I had one tell me that white bread was the same as wheat bread and then be surprised when I said, "Except for with whole wheat bread you're getting fiber." I had another tell me I would never lose weight unless I ate chicken. If I eat Beans of any form at dinner, I'm getting carbs. What I am also getting is Protein and Fiber.

Again it's not how much carbs you are getting, it's the type of carbs. Now if she said if you must eat simple carbs such as potatoes eat them in the morning or time of day you are most active, that would make sense. However a complex carb like Beans works any time of the day because as my body will breaks it down to use all the nutrients.

You are right, complex carbs is good any day however the bad carbs are not but if you want that potato so have it in the morning. Not every morning! Just sparingly. That is all I am saying.....